transformers for express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

smolder

transformers for express

Post by smolder »

I see on most of the schematic I see for the express there is a hammond (6150 I think?) spec'd. Wondering how significant varying this is. I have a set of heyboers that were made for AC15 use... and was considering using them on a build. Any thoughts?
jaysg

Re: transformers for express

Post by jaysg »

TW Express iron is very specific:
Heyboer PT and OT from Moose
Pacific PT and OT from Allyn
Stancor 3801 OT (have to buy used or NOS)

The phrase, "Similar to Hammond P-T1650H" is a hold over from work done several years ago by Steve Ahola, and should be ignored.
Last edited by jaysg on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smolder

Post by smolder »

The phrase, "Similar to Hammond P-T1650H" is a hold over from work done several years ago by Steve Ahola, and should be ignored.
These are from a set of schematics that I have been studying (8-12 pages worth) called wreckxpr. Is there a more authoritative or accurate set that I should be looking at?
camden_guitarist

Post by camden_guitarist »

Oh yes, all you need is in the TRAINWRECK FILES section on this site, I got all my stuff from there, and it sounds AMAZING!!!
paulster

Post by paulster »

We really should think about removing these old schematics because everyone seems think they are gospel, when they're anything but.

In the Trainwreck Files, the Express Documents sticky (http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5691) has the correct schematic in the first post.

Hammonds are not the transformers to use.

RJ is doing the Heyboers whilst Moose isn't selling any. Get these or the Pacifics, unless you can find a NOS Stancor A-3801.
sst4270

Transformers

Post by sst4270 »

According to Moose's website (toneslut.com) he is currently out of stock for the near future.

RJ (rjguitars.net) has some in stock

And Allynmey may have a few sets left. http://ampgarage.com/forum/profile.php? ... file&u=138
You should contact him and kindly ask him.

You can contact Heyboer directly and have them wind you a set. You'll pay a little more., but as has been mentioned repeatedly here on this forum Phil is great to work with.

Go to the files section and read through the Bill of Materials (BOMs) to get the part numbers.

FWIW: You can expect to pay a little less for the "correct" Heyboers than you'll pay for Hammond substitutes. Even more incentive.

One last thing: There are many many posts on this forum regarding transformers for Express, Liverpool, and Rocket. I strongly suggest you search and read through them to gain a better understanding of what and why you're purchacing a particular set for your build.

Good Luck and Welcome.

Steve
smolder

Re: Transformers

Post by smolder »

sst4270 wrote: One last thing: There are many many posts on this forum regarding transformers for Express, Liverpool, and Rocket. I strongly suggest you search and read through them to gain a better understanding of what and why you're purchacing a particular set for your build.

Good Luck and Welcome.

Steve
Thanks for the welcome Steve. I did a search for express 'and' transformer before posting the question and was very surprised to get nothing. A good heads up though. I have been searching and reading, but have certainly not read every post ; ). I will try the search feature some more... and if that doesn't work I'll just keep hunting around.
sst4270

Post by sst4270 »

Try this it was just 10 posts down from yours. LOL.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9757
RJ Guitars

Transformers for an Express

Post by RJ Guitars »

Thanks guys for the notes.

Yes I have the Pacific Express trannies in stock, Allyn may have them as well.

At this time I plan to carry the Heyboer trannies for the Express - Liverpool - and Rocket builds, including the European voltage units. All of these are on order and I expect delivery to me of the various models starting next week and hopefully have them all in stock around the first of the year. I plan to sell them to the AGF (or TAG) at my cost until further notice. If Toneslut restocks and resumes sales then I'll happily surrender that option back to them. Check with Moose to see what he has and if he hasn't got it, then send me a PM or email and I'll set you up.

thanks,

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
smolder

Post by smolder »

clearly I have more research to do. Based upon the schematics I was studying, I was thinking the express was an 18-20 watt (dual 6v6 or EL84) amp. And, since I had a chassis, the parts and a extra set of OT/PT... thought is might be a great next project. thanks for all of the input... I'm sure I will be back with questions once I know more.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Back to your opening post...

You can use the output iron you have and built a two-holer (18W) Liverpool. The basic difference between the Express and the Liverpool is that the output section of the Express is 2xEL34 and the Liverpool is a 4xEL84. The preamps for the two are very similar in gain structure.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Smolder

Yes you could build a nice 15-18 watt TW amp with the Hammond transformers you noted. Is the PT 280v-0-280v and the OT 8k primary?

Mark