Trainwreck components list

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

luis

Trainwreck components list

Post by luis »

Hi all,newbie here!
Thank you all for this fantastic site :D

I''m on the move strarting building an Express.Is there anywhere a component list to follow?Which trannies to buy us european people and where?

Thanks in advance for your help.
ampdoc1

Re: Trainwreck components list

Post by ampdoc1 »

Luis,

I'm enjoying a slow weekend so I thought I'd write. I don't know a thing about what components might be available in Europe, but I can tell you my experiences with TW builds.
I've put together two TW amps both built on old Fender chassis. I retained the stock transformers, and just built the power supplies, dropping resistors, preamps, etc per existing schematics. I also HEAVILY modified both amps to allow lower volume levels.
While I don't pretend to have "golden ears", really good players that have tried these amps agreed that there is something "special" common to both. My feeling is that if you build something along the lines of the cirucits that are available, you will be very close to the original sound, and will be very pleased with the sound. The closest I can come to describing it is that it seems your hands, your head and the amp become ONE.
I am attaching a schematic of a TW that I reverse engineered several years ago. There are a couple of errors, (the 10pf bright switch cap should be 100pf, and the Standby switch was after the first filter section and the 1K resistor) but this is a good verified build-to drawing. I can also supply scaled layouts of the preamp and power supply if you wish.
Be forwarned: If you sucessfully build one of these amps, you will NEVER, EVER be satisfied with a "commercial" amp again.
Lots of luck with your build,

David Hicks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Omar

Post by Omar »

I reduced the original so b/c it was way to big. Attached is the original zipped up.

Omar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Omar on Tue May 31, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tone by misadventure
ampdoc1

Post by ampdoc1 »

Thanks Omar,
I don't know what happened when I posted that drawing.

DEH
luis

Post by luis »

Thank you Doc 8) I'll start my TW project very soon.