Transformers - What & Where?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

joe6v6

Transformers - What & Where?

Post by joe6v6 »

What Transformers are used in an Express? Are most people using Heyboer & do they have a stock set that they sell ? I went thru their site & didnt see Twreck mentioned. . Also is the layout on ceairatone correct? , I will probably build from that & verify as much as I can using the pics of Francesca. . . Thanks : JOE
Resistors not Transistors !
malt

Re: Transformers - What & Where?

Post by malt »

I'll tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past.
joe6v6

Post by joe6v6 »

So on the Tone-Slut trannys Do you use the 260v or the 300v secondaries?
Also what is the purpose of the diodes on the plates of the power tubes? are 3 per tube necessary? I only see 1 per tube in the pics of Francesca.
JOE
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

For an Express you use the 300V tap on the PT and the 6K tap on the OT (but some experiement with the 5.2K tap as well).

Those diodes are some form of protection I believe, but I don't know the theory. The Fransesca pictures actually do show all three per tube, but its hard to see unless you are on just the right angle.
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

Hi,

I have just pulled the trigger on a Nik Express, very helpful chap, and should be shipping in a week or two. I'm really getting into this style of amp since getting my Fuchs Train 45 and I'm hoping I'll build one later on too. Here in the UK it's handy not to have to use a step down transformer. Is the Toneslut Power Transformer available with a 240V Primary?

Cheers,
Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
2thick4uni

Post by 2thick4uni »

Is the Toneslut Power Transformer available with a 240V Primary?
No, Toneslut PT primary is 120v only.

I'm in the UK (well, Isle of Man but lets not split hairs :wink: ) and have just built an Express using Nik's Power Transformer, chassis and boards and toneslut (rather than Ceriatone) Output trannie. I have to say it sounds rather good :D
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

2thick4uni wrote:
Is the Toneslut Power Transformer available with a 240V Primary?
No, Toneslut PT primary is 120v only.

I'm in the UK (well, Isle of Man but lets not split hairs :wink: ) and have just built an Express using Nik's Power Transformer, chassis and boards and toneslut (rather than Ceriatone) Output trannie. I have to say it sounds rather good :D
That's good to hear. I've ordered all the parts from Nik initially. My next amp will be more from scratch with the toneslut output I hope.

I have spent some good times in your neck of the woods. Played The Viking in Ramsey a few years ago with AC/DO for the Moddey Dhoo MCC. Also played Laxey Pavilion for the same club.

Cheers,
Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
joe6v6

Post by joe6v6 »

Are the Transformers that Mojo tone sells the same as the ones that Moose has? . Has anyone experimented with making the dual Primaries on the tonesluts switchable?
JOE
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I use switchable PT secondaries on my tweed Super (5F4) build. I prefer to check and reset the bias each time I switch voltages - the better implementation might be on a cathode biased output. It's especially useful if you like to swap in 6V6s and prefer the lower voltages.
Last edited by Zippy on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

At the risk of being burned at the stake as a heretic, I offer my man Boris Sasic [sales@engineeringvista.com] at Trafomatic in NJ. He has toroids wound in Serbia. He did a one-off prototype OT (4k pri./4/8 ohms/50 watts) for me that was $54.50 to my door. Including shipping. The thing is quiet and yields great note separation, particularly when the amp is really grinding.

I've asked him to price PTs for me, too.

Yeah, yeah, toroids aren't traditional guitar amp iron, but fat guys like me have a hard time saying no to anything shaped like a donut. :wink:
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

joe6v6 wrote:Are the Transformers that Mojo tone sells the same as the ones that Moose has? . Has anyone experimented with making the dual Primaries on the tonesluts switchable?
JOE
Moose is the only source for the Heyboer trainwreck trannies. Great service and if you get his trannies, you know you are getting the exact design as used by KF on the later model 'wrecks. (Early models used Pacifics as I understand)
Mark

Post by Mark »

I would have thought that Heybour could do a one of 240vac transformer. I pretty sure they did one for Pete Sharp.

It's news to me that Moose is the only point of contact with Heybour, perhaps what your referring to is the dual primary output transformers?

Not that I have any problem buying a transformer from Moose. It's all good.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

Moose is the only one _stocking_ them; but Heyboer will wind one for anybody... As far as I know there's no exclusive deal, Moose just picked up where Doug Holt left off as I understand it...
BluzMike

Post by BluzMike »

Mark wrote:I would have thought that Heybour could do a one of 240vac transformer. I pretty sure they did one for Pete Sharp.

It's news to me that Moose is the only point of contact with Heybour, perhaps what your referring to is the dual primary output transformers?

Not that I have any problem buying a transformer from Moose. It's all good.

Heyboer has wound two PTs with 230V primaries for me.
These guys are very helpfull and usually deliver orders pretty quickly.
Highly recommended as well as Nik's chassis.

Michael
Ron

Post by Ron »

Maybe Moose can arrange to have them make just one type with a split primary to run 120 or 240VAC with his next order. Every can be happy, well almost.