Ceriatone Expression Tranny's... What are they? + Mods?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RJ Guitars

Re: Ceriatone Expression Tranny's... What are they? + Mods?

Post by RJ Guitars »

CaseyJones wrote:... Use Moose / Tonselut iron (Heyboer). Allen has extra trannies every so often, even Pacifics.
Currently you can't buy any Heyboer Transformers from Toneslut, they quit selling them sometime over a year ago. When that happened I contacted Chris at Toneslut and got his blessing to carry them. I have probably sold a dozen sets of transformers (Heyboer or Pacific) to builders to swap into Ceriatone amplifiers. A few of these have posted up their results if you dig for them.
alanp wrote:How good are the Ceriatone Express transformers? I mean, are they in a lower order of magnitude to Heyboer or Pacific ones, or reasonably close?
It's hard to say what is better because it is about flavor. Having said that, most folks who have swapped out Ceriatone transformers for Heyboers report that they get an "improved" sound with the Heyboers. The reports are similar when speaking of swapping in Pacifics. The most consistent part of those reports is the mention that the Ceriatones tend to be aggressive and the Heyboer Vintage and the Pacific outputs smooth that out in a good way.

The info on the Promethius Transformer Company website was interesting, thanks for posting that up. It doesn't say where they are located and since Ceriatone is in Malaysia I am going to guess that Promethius is probably somewhere in that part of the world as well. I could be wrong but shipping economics make it likely from my view.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
smokin' tone

Post by smokin' tone »

The info on the Promethius Transformer Company website was interesting, thanks for posting that up. It doesn't say where they are located and since Ceriatone is in Malaysia I am going to guess that Promethius is probably somewhere in that part of the world as well. I could be wrong but shipping economics make it likely from my view.
Yes they are. See item #4.

http://www.promitheusaudio.com/ordering.htm
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Promethius is in Malaysia, thank you for the pointer... I missed it the first time around.

I do travel that part of the world occasionally and I actually visited Ceriatone on one of my stays in Kuala Lumpur last year. Nik wasn't around but a real nice guy named Sung showed me around. I played through a couple amps and hung out for a bit.

C Moore

Post by C Moore »

RJ Guitars wrote:Promethius is in Malaysia, thank you for the pointer... I missed it the first time around.

I do travel that part of the world occasionally and I actually visited Ceriatone on one of my stays in Kuala Lumpur last year. Nik wasn't around but a real nice guy named Sung showed me around. I played through a couple amps and hung out for a bit.
Wow!!!
Care to expand on that at all?
They sure produce a well built, well wired amplifier. Nik strikes me as a good guy who does not get too caught up in all the "flavor of the month", super hyped magic coupling caps, INTERNET gossip that pervades a lot of amp forums. Well at least no more than is necessary to satisfy the amp buying public.
I would like to see the Ceriatone facility's and talk to Nik about some of his amps and transformers.....
Thanks
smokin' tone

Post by smokin' tone »

RJ Guitars wrote:Promethius is in Malaysia, thank you for the pointer... I missed it the first time around.

You're welcome. 8) Nik is a real nice guy. It would have been cool to meet him had he been there. I don't see myself ever making a trip to Malaysia. Heck, I've never been out of the U.S. Come to think of it, I haven't even left Ky in quite a while. I need to get out more. :lol: :lol:
alanp

Post by alanp »

FYL wrote:I'd say that the stock Expression is slightly more marshallesque than an Express. Slightly better crunch and rythm drive, slightly less touch sensitivity and harmonic complexity.
So still pretty decent, and not a case of "agh my bleeding ears"?
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

hired hand wrote::shock: Nobody is a "douche bag" based on what amplifier they own. If that is the case, then everyone of us is a bag. Where are your clothes made, your tires, your car, everything in your home, the components in your amps, the computer that you used to access this forum????? etc. etc. etc.
If douche bags from other countries did not buy our products, we would starve.
Listen up:

Our biggest export right now is jobs. If we had our house in order we wouldn't have to rely on the kindness of strangers I mean we wouldn't have to rely on foreign entities to buy our debt.

Obviously you buy the Wall Street line but consider this:

They're they guys who built the bubble. The bubble was made of inflated values on securities that really weren't worth a damn. The best show this year: The Senate Investigative Committee callin' Goldman-Sachs on the carpet. They're (Wall Street) bitchin' because sensible people won't let 'em do it all over again.

So, happy 4th of July! While you're out there don't sell us out one dollar at a time. We now return to our regular programming.
I believe in this and it's tested by research...
FYL

Post by FYL »

So still pretty decent, and not a case of "agh my bleeding ears"?
Sure, the Ceriatone sounds really nice but oh so slightly different.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The Ceriatone Express is louder than my Heyboer and Pacific Express and has more harshness but none of my Express use the same caps either.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

M Fowler wrote:The Ceriatone Express is louder than my Heyboer and Pacific Express and has more harshness but none of my Express use the same caps either.
Do we know what the output impedance of the Ceriatone transformers is? If they have matched those up in the traditional fashion with a 4.2K primary then I would expect there might be a slight difference in output volume. That same impedance match or maybe we should call it a mismatch could also make a difference in the tone.

rj

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have not asked Nik what his impedance is, I suspect its 6k6 though.

I will email him right now for specs on the tranny set for Express.

EDIT: email sent to Nik waiting for reply.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

cdc3jj wrote:But I sold my ac15 recently so I'm yerning for that Brad Paisley - Vox beauty once again.
I have built a Stang Ray but with 2 6V6s in the power amp and none of my amps get closer to the Brad Paisley clean tone than this one. I have not had any problems with the EF86 but the amp is a head, not a combo.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Darkbluemurder,

What does that name stand for? :D

Your Stangray sounds interesting got photos :?:
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Nike replied and this is the actual email response.

Mark

Sure thing.

Both have dual taps.

The PT is 300 as well as 260, actually.

As for the OT, it has both 6k6 and 5K2 taps. For Express, we use 6k6 by
default.

Not sure, is louder a bad thing though?

How abt the tone?

As for loudness, I guess it's how efficient the OT is.

Thanks!

nik
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

M Fowler wrote:Darkbluemurder,

What does that name stand for? :D

Your Stangray sounds interesting got photos :?:
The nickname came about because I am a fan of John Sykes.

Unfortunately I have no photos at this time. But here is the schematic of my amp.

Cheers Stephan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.