Trainwreck.com change

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

PCollen

Re: Trainwreck.com change

Post by PCollen »

Ridiculous...like any original, the only thing that makes a genuine TW worth what it's worth is that it's made by KF and scarce. Who would pay 5K for a copy, regardless of who's making it. There are better, more versatile amps for much less, and I certainly have no use for something that I have to worry about geting a scratch on. I wouldn't pay any more for a TW copy than I would for a Dr Z, and then it better be made with something other than flea-clips on the board. That said, I sold a Dr. Z Rt. 66 ( and made money on it) after building a $500 "BBQ-boy" JTM-45 head kit because the kit-amp simply sounded and played better. What was that famous P.T.Barnum saying...?
Mrscratch

Post by Mrscratch »

What was that famous P.T.Barnum saying...?[/quote] life is like a box of choklits?
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

Not trying to start any arguments, but I as well as many others on here build amps. I believe most of us do a pretty good job of it. I am just trying to understand...Exactly what makes an $800 to $1,000 reissue (clone) amp "worth" $5,000 especially since Ken is not the person building them?
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

The Trainwreck logo and owners manual. Maybe a genuine TW sticker on the inside of the cabinet. Possible some of the old stock pieces like the potentiometers but since the later KF wrecks used Clarostat and PEM's the CTS pots were probably used up. Maybe Pacific transformers with the original TW item numbers, and left over hookup wire. Past that it's not going to be any different then what the typical "clone" wreck is. You decide if that's worth an extra $4K.

If JM uses all original NOS parts it would be worth $5K, I'm about $3,800 deep in parts for an original francesca build, add labor and that would be about right. To be fair though I've spent a lot in bulk parts lots that I only needed one piece and had to pay shipping. If it was only actual TW parts I'm in about $2,000, maybe $2,500 plus cabinet.

I'm starting to think if JM is as slow as KF commented. It's all in the daily labor costs. I do understand the excitement of having a true Wreck, but i'm going to wait and see how the market responds. If they are not absolutely fantastic I have a gut feeling they will tank on the used market, and drive the original Wrecks even higher. I'll wait to pick one up second hand, though I am curious to look under the hood.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

selloutrr wrote:If JM uses all original NOS parts it would be worth $5K, I'm about $3,800 deep in parts for an original francesca build, add labor and that would be about right. To be fair though I've spent a lot in bulk parts lots that I only needed one piece and had to pay shipping. If it was only actual TW parts I'm in about $2,000, maybe $2,500 plus cabinet.
Dude,

I don't know where you're getting your parts but that all sounds awful high to me. Even at today's inflated prices I would think you'd be able to get original era parts to build a TW for well under $2K...

Just my $.02

Andy
Mrscratch

Post by Mrscratch »

[IMG:799:534]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/s ... SC0362.jpg[/img]please welcome ... desiree.
she is the #2 express built by JM. she is made of zebra wood. i was offered the original gem light, but i took this green one from the original manufacturer. first one ever.[IMG:546:799]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/s ... C0364A.jpg[/img]
andy_wreck_fan

Post by andy_wreck_fan »

She looks just WOW :shock:

what does letters say under bright switch? Re?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Looks good and are you rocking away on that amp yet? How does it sound.

Mark
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Zebrawood? I almost picked a similar wood for my cabinet. Looks nice. Any comments on the guts or have you taken it apart?

What tubes came stock with the amp?
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

inquiring ears want to know. i wonder if the build stayed true to Ken's way of doing things.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

hairyandy wrote:
selloutrr wrote:If JM uses all original NOS parts it would be worth $5K, I'm about $3,800 deep in parts for an original francesca build, add labor and that would be about right. To be fair though I've spent a lot in bulk parts lots that I only needed one piece and had to pay shipping. If it was only actual TW parts I'm in about $2,000, maybe $2,500 plus cabinet.
Dude,

I don't know where you're getting your parts but that all sounds awful high to me. Even at today's inflated prices I would think you'd be able to get original era parts to build a TW for well under $2K...

Just my $.02

Andy
a $100 here and a $100 there adds up, the parts are still available but the people who have them don't want to part with them at normal prices. When an original sells for $40K I didn't bat an eye at $2k.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

It's a pretty cab. Which transformers are the new JM wrecks using? have you at least personally looked under the hood and compared the new ones to the forum data files?
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

pics, clips, comments and rips!
Charlie
Structo

Post by Structo »

It's a beauty! :D
I've always loved that Zebra wood.
Do you know what kind of finish JM puts on the wood?

Anxious for a tone report or clips. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Nice looking cabinet. The joint work on it looks a little different than what I believed was used on the original design. Maybe that is how KF did the later ones?

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/