Trainwreck.com change

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Gibsonman63

Re: Trainwreck.com change

Post by Gibsonman63 »

kinda of a shame really, but I could see this coming. It would be nice to see what's going on under the hood without the $5K entry fee even if it is gooped.
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

That cat wasn't going to show any gut shots. After spending $5K we are lucky he even spoke to us and showed a cab shot. Help me out fellas....over on TGP he mentions ...i have two heritage marshall handwired g12h-30 55hz cabs,.
What are handwired cabs? Opposed to what other kind of wired cabs. Maybe I am a little slow here.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Uh, those are speaker cabs that one guy handed the other guy the wire for, then they plugged the speakers in.
Very boutique. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Structo

Post by Structo »

HeeBGB wrote:
selloutrr wrote:
I Agree Completely 100% - but he did post in this WTF Trainwreck? thread, I'd like to see him post a new thread - something like "check out my awesome new amp." I'm sure the posts will be more supportive.

Seriously doubt that will happen. He just deleted his posts here and stated he "can't listen to these ********* Blowhards anymore" over at TGP!
That's funny because he was getting about the same treatment over there.
In fact until the last few pages here, I thought we were treating him pretty good considering the thread he posted in.

You are right, he should have just waited until he got the amp and posted it in all honesty with clips and gut shots.
Then we could have made an informed opinion of whether or not JM has the chops or not.
Some of these guys get all up tight when you ask for a gut shot.
Ya know, it doesn't have to be real high resolution if you catch my drift.
There are several builders here that post gut shots where you can't read the values.
Always ways to protect the circuit besides goop. :lol:
Tom

selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

In the vintage market it's a polite way of saying one of two things but they both equal the same thing.

First. Vintage, Though it's a given they are handwired, so that just points to the fact he doesn't know enough about the gear he is playing. If this is the case I would question just how many original parts are actually in the RI wreck.

Second. Reissue customshop's use the "handwired" term as a selling point to charge more for a product. I'll let you in on a secret. even the mass production are wired by hand :wink:.

no matter which way you chose to go it means the same thing...
HE OVER PAID!!!

reminds me of an old Subaru commercial with crocodile dundey. It had and Outback being compared to the Ford Explore. the point being... the Subaru didn't cost enough so the guy driving the Ford didn't want it even though it did everything the Explore did and more. I get the impression that he likes to buy the more expensive things even if they are not better just a status symbol.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

mcrracer wrote:over on TGP he mentions ...i have two heritage marshall handwired g12h-30 55hz cabs,.
What are handwired cabs? Opposed to what other kind of wired cabs. Maybe I am a little slow here.
Uhhh, I took that to mean that he has two of the 2x12 cabs that came with the Marshall "hand-wired" 2061 heads. Those cabs are actually really cool and sound great. You can buy pretty inexpensive copies made by Sourmash on Ebay for around $200 empty...

Andy
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

marshall handwired cabs are regular 4x12 cabs with basketweave S&P grill cloth and heritage celestion speakers

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... edium=feed&

given that just a quad of these speakers is around $1000, and the cab is pretty decent quality, they are a pretty good deal if those are the speakers you plan on using.

they are called handwired to be paired with the handwired heads (no circuit board).

they are actually pretty good cabinets and probably one of the better mass produced cabs to match with a wreck style amp.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

ugh... I'd go vintage for that price. You could build the cab Wrecks were voiced on, V4 cab with Pre-Rola.

5 used "handwired 4x12" are selling / sold in california for $400-500 this week.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Hand wired???? they are all hand wired!!!!
I picked up a V4 4X12 from Daddy's for $50 with a bad speaker. I had Jeff Swanson retolex it with original Ampeg tolex and real vintage Ampeg grill cloth. I have a great cab for about $100. 8)
MCK

Post by MCK »

Structo wrote:
HeeBGB wrote:
selloutrr wrote:
In fact until the last few pages here, I thought we were treating him pretty good considering the thread he posted in.
I think it was my calling his amp a clone with a logo on it that got him off his rocker... Then he called us various vulgarities on & off TAG and left.

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

My last comment on this subject. If he wanted a real Trainwreck he was a few years too late and about $20K too short on the money ,period. If he just wanted the TW sound he could have come here and any number of guys could have built him something (which I believe) would have been just as good if not better than what he is getting, for half the price and in much less time. Other than that what he got was , as the other poster said, " a clone with a logo". Facts are facts, just because he may not have liked it or agreed with it does not change the facts. After some of the responses he got when he came here he may have realized that and was embarrassed. It would take an awfully big person to admit to a $5K mistake. I feel bad for the guy. But as long as he is happy with his purchase all is good.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Everything is relative. Five large is a bit of a premium especially compared to the cost of building one yourself, but you can easily get to three or four grand with most of the boutique builders. Even some of the production amplifiers in Musicians Friend are approaching that range. Gerald Weber has a $5K tweed bassman.

Things are only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Most of the guys here, myself included, would rather build it and learn how it works than pay someone else to do it so why pay $5K for one amp when you can build several for that price?

I can't say that he is getting ripped off. If the amp meets or exceeds his expectations for the price that he agreed to pay, then he got a fair deal.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Gibsonman63 wrote:
I can't say that he is getting ripped off. If the amp meets or exceeds his expectations for the price that he agreed to pay, then he got a fair deal.
Wouldn't it be funny if his amp sounded like arse!

I wonder how hard it would be to admit to that? :lol:
Tom

selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Now that that's over, and JM is no longer taking orders, can we assume/speculate the magical parts have run out? and it was in fact a small run of tribute amps, probably inspired by the original builders of the tribute. I'd be good with that, what is going to upset me is if JM tries to release a new model under the TW name. So far I've heard nothing of this but money/greed has a strange way of making things happen. I can't help but think this was just to test the waters for something bigger, notice how i didn't say better.

Anyway for now how long until the no clone is a good clone goes back up? They sort of kept it in the current print about JM saying no TW ever used Heybaer.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I personally prefer the PC board wired speaker cabinets anyway.........

JM is done already ?!?!?
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.