Which 6V6 for Express?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

solderstain

Which 6V6 for Express?

Post by solderstain »

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my OT question for my Express build. It's up and roaring now :twisted:. It's got a few build twists (I'm funny that way 8) ), and as soon as I get the cabinet finished, I'll post some pictures.

This thread is about 6V6s. I've only ever used EL34s for my Express builds in the past, but I'm now curious to try 6V6s too.

In the past, I've used JJ 6V6s in a BFDR, and liked them there. That amp is gone, so I'm without any 6V6s in the shop at the moment.

What 6V6s have you guys tried in an Express and what did you like about them? I'm an 'open book' so hit me! :P
Cliff Schecht

Re: Which 6V6 for Express?

Post by Cliff Schecht »

I use a closely matched pair of Jan-Phillips (Sylvania labeled) 6V6's from right after WW2 was over (Dec 1945 IIRC). These are the grey coated glass types and are absolutely my favorite pair of 6V6's (and I have a lot now). TBH I prefer these over any of the RCA 6V6 pairs I have for their perfectly balanced response (tight bass, singing mids and smooth highs). Pretty much all of the coated glass 6V6's (RCA and Sylvania) I own have this characteristic sound. I've never tried some of the other renowned brands like old Tung-Sols and Bendix but I'm sure they sound just as great as their reputation precedes.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
JamesHealey

Post by JamesHealey »

If you want to stay cheap the electo harmonix 6v6 sounds great!
rsi

Post by rsi »

I use NOS 7408 for my 6V6 amps. I got some on ebay for pretty cheap. I guess most people don't know they are the industrial version of 6V6. Kind of like 7189 vs. EL84.
redshark

Post by redshark »

I tried the old tungsol 6V6's branded delco and they sounded great!! I had read previous threads where people like also the old sylvania 6V6's.
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Old Raytheons if you can find them are superb!
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Those are quite rare though. I don't think I've ever even come across a Raytheon 6V6.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Cliff Schecht wrote:Those are quite rare though. I don't think I've ever even come across a Raytheon 6V6.
I've got a few pair left that I am saving. I have lots of old American 6V6s, so I'm set for a while. I also have one nice quad of Marconi (Westinhouse) 6V6Gs that are wonderful. I have tried them briefly in a few different amps and have decided to hold onto those too. Gotta love that ST shape :D
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
solderstain

Post by solderstain »

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

I'd love to experiment with different NOS tubes, but I'm a little wary of falling too much 'in love' with something I may have trouble getting again later. :? I'm in that boat somewhat with my '63 AC30 - I'm so in love with the sound of that amp with the quartet of Telefunken EL84s I've had in it for a few years, I don't even want to think about losing 'the magic' in that amp if I can't find another set some day. :( The BFDR I mentioned in a previous post had a pair of old gray-glass RCAs in it for a long time, but when their useful life ended, that's when I installed the JJs, and while it didn't sound 'bad', it just didn't have the same 'magic'. So I understand the allure of vintage tubes. :P

I'm pretty-much looking for advice about currently-available tubes that I can replace easily. I guess I'll give JJs another try, and the EHs as well. I've had good luck with EH EL34s in my old Super Lead, so I suppose their 6V6s are worth a listen.

Thanks again, everyone. :D
billyz

Post by billyz »

For new tubes in the 6v6 category I prefer the new Tungsol 6v6 second is the EH6v6 , if you get a good pair that is. The tone is closer to the old RCA. The JJ's which are more like the old 6l6( gc) bias a little differently and sound different too .

My all time top 6v6gt* is the Tungsol original USA made, close 2nd RCA.
I have not really cared for the Brimar's too bright and thin on the bottom for me. The Ge's are really good too, the pancake based JAN tubes are the last really good 6v6 and often affordable.
skeezbo

Post by skeezbo »

Gregg Levy, at www.hitestguitars.com has a great supply of NOS 6V6s, including Raytheon and Tung Sol. Seems like very fair prices, too. I've never ordered from him, but word on the street is that Gregg is a good guy to work with. Check out his site.

Skeezbo
Ian444

Post by Ian444 »

Has anyone tried the Russian 6P6S (6V6 equivalent)? I run them in one hifi amp at around 350V across the tube and 270V on the screens (if I recall correctly). On the other amp its 300V B+ and 300V on the screens. They are a great sounding tube in a hifi amp. The max ratings are listed as Va 350V and G2 310V. I haven't had the opportunity to try them in a guitar amp yet but will in due course. At a few bucks each, maybe worth a listen?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yes I have the Russian 6P6S and use the JJ 6V6 as well but I am not a 6V6 fan.

I want to order some RCA and Tungsol's since the local guys are not parting with theirs.
billyz

Post by billyz »

Ian444 wrote:Has anyone tried the Russian 6P6S (6V6 equivalent)? I run them in one hifi amp at around 350V across the tube and 270V on the screens (if I recall correctly). On the other amp its 300V B+ and 300V on the screens. They are a great sounding tube in a hifi amp. The max ratings are listed as Va 350V and G2 310V. I haven't had the opportunity to try them in a guitar amp yet but will in due course. At a few bucks each, maybe worth a listen?
They sound ok but be careful of the voltages you run them at. They can't take the higher than rated voltages like the old US made ones.
If you put them in a blackface Deluxe you are certain to have a bad failure.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Yeah, I would also suggest the NEW Genelex 6V6 from Russia. They ain't cheap but the thought is that they are very good. Google for reviews maybe. I will get some eventually, but not today. They are new.

FWIW, when I googled for a review on this tube, I found a site selling the Genelex EL84s. Again not cheap, but they were over the top with their review of this little bottle, saying they were hard pressed to pick it in a blind test it over the original Mullard (Holy Grial) EL84. I did not know this and, yes, I have a home for a quad of these guys. 8)
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?