Variations On A Theme - Express content

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

surfsup

Re: Variations On A Theme - Express content

Post by surfsup »

solderstain, you need to change your handle. Not a stain on that. Its "suh-weeet"!

What's the black board made from and where did you get the nice chassis?
rooster

Post by rooster »

I agree, nice pics, and a nice job. thanks for sharing. Nothing wrong with non-traditional, either. I know Ken encouraged it. 8)
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
solderstain

Post by solderstain »

surfsup wrote:solderstain, you need to change your handle. Not a stain on that. Its "suh-weeet"!

What's the black board made from and where did you get the nice chassis?
Thanks for the kind words. The power supply board and the main board are both Garolite - you can get it from McMaster in different thicknesses and colors.

The chassis is from our fearless leader, Allyn. It comes with only the most basic, common holes punched (tube positions and the basic, common controls) - the rest is up to you.
PlinytheWelder

Post by PlinytheWelder »

That's a very nice build! Some of the design choices are like my build and others are taken to the next level.
I really like your separating out of V1 and the bias and measuring scheme. The build quality looks topnotch, too

Well done!
Gary
loctal

Post by loctal »

Beautiful photographs solderstain. Your website is great. Meticulous restorations. Your express build looks like an improvement of the original. Very nice build.
solderstain

Post by solderstain »

Thanks for the nice words. I don't know if I 'improved' the Wreck design so much as adapted it a little bit. :) As far as the signal path is concerned, it's still true to the path (except the Cut control).

Since I've had this complete and pretty-much finalized my tube choices, it's been hard to force myself to play some of my other amps! :lol:
angelodp

Inspiring

Post by angelodp »

Truly inspired work. Very spartan. Can we encourage you to post one more gut shot that shows the entire chassis. I would love to see the full scheme.

cheers A
solderstain

Re: Inspiring

Post by solderstain »

angelodp wrote:Truly inspired work. Very spartan. Can we encourage you to post one more gut shot that shows the entire chassis. I would love to see the full scheme.

cheers A
Fair enough - the next time I pull it out of the cabinet (which may be over the weekend), I'll see if I can get a good quality shot.

Stay tuned. :lol:
angelodp

Quality

Post by angelodp »

All your shots are the finest quality, just looking for the big picture.

thanks A
solderstain

Re: Quality

Post by solderstain »

angelodp wrote:All your shots are the finest quality, just looking for the big picture.

thanks A
Well, my studio lighting is at work right now, so sunlight will have to do...

Gut shot!

[img:800:382]http://www.doctorvintage.com/amps/TW-E_ ... t_Shot.jpg[/img]

Something new since the last view (and the reason I pulled the chassis out again...) - I swapped out the IEC connector for one with a built-in EMF line filter (Mouser part number 592-3EEJ1). This was an attempt to help clean up the dirty power I get here at the house about half the time.

[img:800:600]http://www.doctorvintage.com/amps/power_emf_filter.jpg[/img]