new source for Trainwreck head cabs

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: new source for Trainwreck head cabs

Post by M Fowler »

Spray the cabs with bedliner available a wide variety of colors and your good to go gigging.

Mark
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I might ask for a knotty pine Marshall box for one of my Majors for that rare occasion when I play Cowboys and Cactus night at a gig. Fun for studio vibe, bet.

Kiddin' me? In orange with an "M" brand? Cool! lol
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I hope those knots stay in the pine; otherwise, it will sound like a Champagne cork going off :)

Mark
Markusv

Post by Markusv »

Pine is just fine covered with Tolex
The Home depot soft pine dents by just looking at it
I have built some really sturdy stuff though with a denser variety of pine from a lumber mill. Its 1/4 sawn with lots of figuring

My concern is the corners of cabinets. Does he use biscuits at least?

Markus V
.........Now where did I put it?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Markusv wrote:My concern is the corners of cabinets. Does he use biscuits at least?
I thought the same thing. Those corners look fragile at best.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

M Fowler wrote:I hope those knots stay in the pine; otherwise, it will sound like a Champagne cork going off :)

Mark
Heat might be bad with knots.. prolly need to overcoat the whole mess with epoxy.. have to seal thie inside so it doesn't bleed sap like 'retsches too! And they do bleed! Ick!

Is it just me? I hear yodeling!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

Southern Yellow Pine C&B (Clear and better) doesn't have knots and is hard as a rock. It is a step down from Heart pine and cheap in the south!
I Think I Think Too Much !
jtaylor996

Post by jtaylor996 »

FYI, wood stock at home depot is regional. They sell southern yellow pine in FL where I used to live, and it's an extraordinary wood. I've built lots of durable woodworking fixtures (like tables for tools, etc) with it, and it holds up great.

Not quite hard as a rock, though. It is high on the strength scale due to the grain structure (meaning it'll hold a lot of weight with minimal deflection in something like a bookshelf setup), but surface hardness is not quite up there with maple. Much better than white pine, though.

For the cab in question, he's using biscuits on the joints, right? If not, I'd stay away...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

In my area we don't get the good southern yellow pine I wish we did, we have an upgrade called select pine that I use.

However, having said that I find that Aspen and Poplar is not much more expensive, has figuring and is hard, great for cabinets.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

However, having said that I find that Aspen and Poplar is not much more expensive,
Yes. If you have a local hardwoods dealer it can be significantly lower there than the stock at the home improvement mega stores. That's what I've found in my area.

I'd shy away from the aspen and go for the tulip poplar - more stable than aspen.
ampmike

Cabs

Post by ampmike »

I did a lot of railings and trim work in poplar.But at the same time I can get mohogony and cherry at a reasonable price.I think my mohogony was about 40 bucks and that cab looks really nice.Ill be making cabs very soon!Mikey
cbass

Post by cbass »

I can get red oak here for less than yellow pine.
I wouldn't worry about gigging with a wood cabinet .Sure it will get beat up but it won't fallapart if its built right.
mike9

Post by mike9 »

Those are great looking cabs for the money!! I looked at his page and he's got a Wreck style cab for a Bogen Challenger 35 too.
"I fought the Tone . . . and the Tone won"
ampmike

Biscuit joint

Post by ampmike »

The only other concern is just glueing the corners and clamping is not enough.You really need some biscuits<heres a pic with these:I could do several in pine with the proper joint and match that price.I amp currently putting a wood shop together for making some furniture and cabs.Mikey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike9

Post by mike9 »

I've built exterior doors with bisquits and they are as strong and square as the day they were hung after 15yrs of exposure.
"I fought the Tone . . . and the Tone won"