Ceriatone Expression OT change....?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Ceriatone Expression OT change....?

Post by M Fowler »

Welcome back rj,

I hope they didn't get flash floods. Those poor people have been too dry for too long.
NowFender

Post by NowFender »

Changed my transformers/and caps to Mallory od's, then I took out the ceriatone filter caps for Spragues..so I just should've built the express in hind sight. The original sound was less refined and more "marshall". NOS tubes and settled on RCA 6V6's.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The original sound was less refined and more "marshall".
More nasally sterile sounding before? The Ceriatone iron puts out some incredible power but the Heyboer or Pacific and Edcors seem to bring out the tonal aspect of this amp I think.

Changing the grounding to what Komet did with their K60 would also help I think. The Komet and Larry amps grounding style are very close (metro-forum has Larry grounding info).

Mark
Roe

Post by Roe »

M Fowler wrote:
The original sound was less refined and more "marshall".

Changing the grounding to what Komet did with their K60 would also help I think. The Komet and Larry amps grounding style are very close (metro-forum has Larry grounding info).

Mark
+ 1 on the larry. I changed my k60 to larry style. wasn't much work, slight difference in noise perhaps
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
mauiboy81

Post by mauiboy81 »

I don't know if this is any help but I find the search function most useful when I select "Search for all terms".

Nick
NowFender

More nasally sterile sounding before?

Post by NowFender »

It didn't cleanup as well and sounded more aggressive, there wasn't the chime it has now but had more fizz. After changing the transformers it sounded better so I invested more time and changed out the rest of the parts. Not sure if I still have the before and after clips, if I find them I'll post them here. Thanks for the MetroAmp Larry's grounding, had a look at it and may use it if I ever start my Liverpool build.
Hope this helps the poster.
Shai`tan

Post by Shai`tan »

Thx. I just recieved the Heyboers from RJ. Thx again RJ. I hope they sound as good as many are saying. ;p
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Hey no problem. It sounds like you have already tuned your ears a bit with the other changes on the amp so this should be a good data point. Looking forward to the report.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Shai`tan

Post by Shai`tan »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to pass on my thoughts of late on my Expression.

The changeover to Heyboers did help this amps harshness somewhat. But I still didn`t feel that it was quite there yet. Ended up doing a recap. The stock Orange Drops have sweet cleans, but in my particular Expression, adding any dirt was just harsh to the ears.

Got my Tech to remove the Orange Drops and replace with Sozo Vintage caps. And replaced the Holy Grails with Sprague Atoms. Ran a signal into the amp for bout 30 hours for the supposed breakin. What they say about Sozos from my findings are well based. The harshness is.... gone. Beautiful thick cleans were retained. Very nice breakup now.

I have to add the amp is quieter now as well. I think the Sozos are a much better match for Niks Expression circuit. And my oppinion now is inline with many others who have delved into Ceriatoneland. Order without trannys, and ask Nik to upgrade the caps to Vintage Sozos. Once here, put in MM, Pacific, Heyboer... and your tubes of choice. Wished I would have followed that advice earlier.

The cab I use is a Scumback M75(full breakin) in a Bogner Cube.
Roe

Post by Roe »

in my case harshness disappeared after changing the ceriatone filter caps to BC vishay 450v (22, 33 and 47uf, with 33uf on screens)
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
roberto

Post by roberto »

M Fowler wrote:metro-forum has Larry grounding info
Are you talking about this one?
[img:640:408]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6223 ... scheme.jpg[/img]
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Robert, yes that one.
Roe

Post by Roe »

yes but you have do compromise with those dual filter caps. axials are better
4x12" w/H75s