Express fini at last!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ron

Express fini at last!

Post by Ron »

At last I found a cabinet for my TW Express clone. I picked up this maple cabinet from Allyn, who might have others for sale in the future. With careful measurements, I managed to install the chassis without any real problems. :D I used a set of boards from UR12 and Nik's chassis.

[IMG:640:480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ ... G_0181.jpg[/img]

[IMG:640:480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ ... G_0185.jpg[/img]

Here's the chassis right after I finished it a few months ago. The tubes and knobs have been changed in the completed version.

[IMG:640:480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ ... G_0034.jpg[/img]

[IMG:640:480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ ... G_0030.jpg[/img]

[IMG:640:480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ ... G_0031.jpg[/img]

[IMG:640:480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ ... G_0029.jpg[/img]
hot_tube_tone

Re: Express fini at last!

Post by hot_tube_tone »

Man that is a nice looking build. How does it sound? Now we have 2 of the same amps (Express and Fender SR). I just finished up my Express Clone about 2 weeks ago. Man they are beast. Have you tried 6V6's yet?
Ron

Post by Ron »

There's an earlier post with a discussion about how this and other people's Express clones sound. The 6V6s are a great choice too, so try them. I've been playing through a 4x12 with Celestion blues, and I gotta try G12H30s and V30s too.
hot_tube_tone

Post by hot_tube_tone »

I have tried both EL34's and 6V6's. I like the EL34's the best. I have a 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks and a 2x12 loaded with Hellatone 30's (G12H30's). I like the EL34's and 4x12 Greenbacks combo the best.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Nice Build Ron!!!

Got any clips?
Noel Grassy

Post by Noel Grassy »

Wow! Ron, that's a very tasty looking build. Been building amps long? It seems you really nailed the Express. I sense some of KF's 'organic flow' to be sure. Looking forward to the clips.
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza
Ron

Post by Ron »

Clips? Only paper ones... but thanks for the comments. Yes, I've been building tube equipment for decades and amps in particular for about 11 years (King Amplifier Co.).
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

Congrats Ron!! That's one nice build. Nice cab too.
rsi

Post by rsi »

Nice!

Where did you get those perforated boards?
Ron

Boards

Post by Ron »

The boards were made by UR12 on this forum. I would like another set or two for future amps, but I haven't heard him volunteer to make more.

If you want to build an Express, you can buy a very nice set of unperforated G10 boards with turrets from Nik (in Malaysia, IIRC). Nik has a business website but I don't recall the URL, I'm sure others do. He produced the chassis and has completed amplifiers on his menu as well.
Last edited by Ron on Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rsi

Post by rsi »

Yes, Nik is great to deal with and has the express/liverpool boards. I got my 18 watt board from him, unpopulated. However, I am going to do a liverpool in a gutted laney VC30 and the chassis is too narrow for the cap board. Hence, my trying to find some perf board so i can cut it to fit the chassis. I can use regular un-perforated garolite, but then I would have to drill the turret holes, and i am basically lazy.

This perforated board material has seemed to vanish from the planet though. I have seen people on other boards ask about it and nobody seems to have a source in the US.

Ampmaker in the UK has it, but last time I looked at his site, it said something to the effect that he was out of it.

Weird. It is not like this stuff is made from a rare earth element or something.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I think UR12 had some factory perf material, but later had to drill the holes himself. Hey, someone's gotta do it!! Good luck on your quest for the right stuff.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

rsi wrote:Yes, Nik is great to deal with and has the express/liverpool boards. I got my 18 watt board from him, unpopulated. However, I am going to do a liverpool in a gutted laney VC30 and the chassis is too narrow for the cap board. Hence, my trying to find some perf board so i can cut it to fit the chassis. I can use regular un-perforated garolite, but then I would have to drill the turret holes, and i am basically lazy.

This perforated board material has seemed to vanish from the planet though. I have seen people on other boards ask about it and nobody seems to have a source in the US.

Ampmaker in the UK has it, but last time I looked at his site, it said something to the effect that he was out of it.

Weird. It is not like this stuff is made from a rare earth element or something.
Yes, it has all but vanished. I make it when I get in the mood these days. There is a lot of work involved in drilling all of those holes. I found that I was spending all of my time building boards and I would much rather build amps. I should be doing some more in the next few weeks. Shoot me an email with your specs and if your not in any hurry I'll see what I can do.

Ron

If you still want a couple of sets I'll make you up a couple soon.
smokin' tone

Post by smokin' tone »

Nice job Ron. That's a good looking build.