Any interest in trainwreck style cabs?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

backpack

Re: Any interest in trainwreck style cabs?

Post by backpack »

post some contact info and I will call, I need a cab
jtaylor996

Post by jtaylor996 »

In my dreams I'd go for a bookmatched flamed maple cab.

I'm a fiddle player that messes around on guitar, but I've come to love the fiddle woods and finishes.

This one is of particular interest to me:
http://www.paganini.comune.genova.it/vi ... ni_eng.htm

Make the front look like the back of this violin (held sideways), and I'm sold!
Distortion

Post by Distortion »

cbass wrote:I think I could do one finished in the $150 range with faceplate no wood burning.
If you can build decent cabs for $150 there will definitely be a market for them.
I just don't see how you will be able to afford to sell them at this price.
A Wreck style cab takes about 8 board ft of material. So even on the low end, the materials are give or take $50. If you want to get into the high end figured woods you can spend much more.

Although I do not build cabinets for a living I have built several hundred over the years so I have a pretty good feeling for what it takes to do them right.

The first thing I realized is I can make a lot more money in my normal day job than what I receive doing woodworking. If you are looking to build Wreck style cabs for a living I would strongly suggest you rethink it.
If on the other hand you are in it to build beautiful cabs that enhance the amplifiers it is a rewarding task.
Over the years I have seen several people decide that it would be a good idea to try their hand in producing cabinets and the initial response is always positive. But normally this is a short lived idea.
The bottom line is, to build a really nice Wreck style cab there has to be a lot of attention to detail. As you know prep is key when you are finishing wood. Fit is also key with the Wreck cabs especially the way the front panel fits in the cab. It needs to be perfect to look good.

If my goal was just to make money I would never build another Wreck cab.. I would just be happy with my day job.
The biggest reason I build cabs is the satisfaction I receive from creating beautiful homes for these great amplifiers.

I will be interested to see pictures of your cabinets once you have built a few.
I would also be interested to see of you still think you can sell them for $150.
Either way good luck on your journey.. :D
cbass

Post by cbass »

Finaly got my planer repaired.So hopefully I will have a couple of cabs to show you guys soon.Probaly be Wedenesday before I will really have time to get started.

JTaylor,I think I have enough fiddleback to make cab I would have to dig thorugh my stack and see if i have a single board big enough to wrap all the around the cab and make the valance and faceplate.I wouldn't come of a board like that cheaply though.the finish to show off that fiidleback would be pricey also.

I'll just see how it goes with these first few cabs and if everyone is happy with them then I can make a run of ten or so.If theres demand
SteveKran

Post by SteveKran »

I'm interested in one.....I built a 'Baby Will" from 18watt and haven't put it in a cab. Probably won't ever get to it, but I'm planning on building a Trainwreck clone and would really like for it to look like an original. Post up some pictures and different stain/varnish options with prices....I'm sure you'll have more work than you know what to do with for a good while.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Distortion wrote:
cbass wrote:I think I could do one finished in the $150 range with faceplate no wood burning.
If you can build decent cabs for $150 there will definitely be a market for them.
I just don't see how you will be able to afford to sell them at this price.
A Wreck style cab takes about 8 board ft of material. So even on the low end, the materials are give or take $50. If you want to get into the high end figured woods you can spend much more.

Although I do not build cabinets for a living I have built several hundred over the years so I have a pretty good feeling for what it takes to do them right.

The first thing I realized is I can make a lot more money in my normal day job than what I receive doing woodworking. If you are looking to build Wreck style cabs for a living I would strongly suggest you rethink it.
If on the other hand you are in it to build beautiful cabs that enhance the amplifiers it is a rewarding task.
Over the years I have seen several people decide that it would be a good idea to try their hand in producing cabinets and the initial response is always positive. But normally this is a short lived idea.
The bottom line is, to build a really nice Wreck style cab there has to be a lot of attention to detail. As you know prep is key when you are finishing wood. Fit is also key with the Wreck cabs especially the way the front panel fits in the cab. It needs to be perfect to look good.

If my goal was just to make money I would never build another Wreck cab.. I would just be happy with my day job.
The biggest reason I build cabs is the satisfaction I receive from creating beautiful homes for these great amplifier
I will be interested to see pictures of your cabinets once you have built a few.
I would also be interested to see of you still think you can sell them for $150.
Either way good luck on your journey.. :D
Hi distortion,I have seen pics of your cabs before you do very nice work.

I have no intention of trying to make a living building Amplifier cabs.I make a living building homes.I have been doing carpentery for a long time.I was going to Build a cab for myself and i just wanted to give something back to the forum by offering some affordable cabs.I'm already going to have the time involved in building one I can build several with just a bit more work.That being said I think I am going to have more towards $200 than $150.

I don't have to pay any where near $50 for 8ft of select cherry.Maybe I just need to be reselling cherry?Instead of working for a living.

I probaly make about half the money per hour I do here.Than if I lived in Nashville.Or St.Louis Or Memphis.

I'm going to be slow for the next month or so anyway so If I can make alittle cash and maybe trade for some gear that would be cool with me.
Distortion

Post by Distortion »

I understand what you are saying..
The forum can always use an extra source for decent cabinets at a reasonable price.
Just out of curiousity, what wood were you planning to use for your own cab?

Again, good luck and definitely post some pictures of the cabs when you are done..
jtaylor996

Post by jtaylor996 »

cbass wrote: JTaylor,I think I have enough fiddleback to make cab I would have to dig thorugh my stack and see if i have a single board big enough to wrap all the around the cab and make the valance and faceplate.I wouldn't come of a board like that cheaply though.the finish to show off that fiidleback would be pricey also.
I don't mind paying extra. Using enough to wrap around may be more than I need, though. If the front only is out of the fiddleback, then I'm happy. The rest can be a cherry or darker wood (walnut would be awesome). I think the contrast would really make the fiddleback pop, esp if that golden amber worn look is possible. The rest is likely to get scuffed hauling it around, anyways.

I dipped my toe in making violins a whole back, so I know all about the woodworking and finishing aspects. Doing a real fiddle finish would be too much work, but if you know of an efficient way to simulate that, it would be awesome. An unfinished front panel may be an option as well, as it may be cool to do purfling on it to really pay homage to the idea... I'm guessing you won't have the tools for that, though.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Larry, your cabs should be in a museum or a cabinet hall of fame! They are by far the nicest cabinets I've ever seen.
Last edited by amplifiednation on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

I would buy at least two.
Chad

Post by Chad »

What ever came about the head cabs. Would love to see the finished product. Chad
ampmike

Head cabs

Post by ampmike »

Hey Guys,I have a few here to get rid of and a few to build.Im going to sell off some on the cheap.I have some differend size cabs.Been sick for a couple weeks but Im going to post them today.Yea,building cabs and shipping them corectly is not a money making buissness.You just have to have lots of spare time and a love for it.Distortion is dead on on his coments!!Good luck to all!!Looking forward to the New Year here and getting my Liverpool to work!! :oops:
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/