Suitable output transformer for the Rocket?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Suitable output transformer for the Rocket?

Post by Mark »

I do realise that any AC-30 type transformer would cut it in this circuit, however I'm somewhat curious if the Rocket uses an output transformer similar to the ones used in the Express and Liverpool amps.

Love to hear all theories and opinions.

Thanks for your help.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: Suitable output transformer for the Rocket?

Post by LeftyStrat »

Hi Mark,
I don't have any info, but your description has me intriqued enough to attempt a Rocket build at some point. I have an old dynaco OT w/ a primary of 4.3k that I thought about using, which seems the normal range for 4xEL84.

I can share my experience on alternate primaries with my most recent build, a Matchless Spitfire clone (paralled 12AX7 triodes, 12AX7 LTP, 2xEL84). I originally built it with an OT that had an 8k primary, and though the amp sounded good, I wanted to see what it would sound like with a primary like the original had (4k). So I ran the 8ohm output into a 4ohm cabinet. The difference was subtle, but the more I played the more "magical" it seemed. Now I hate to use a non-scientific term like that, but I can't quite put my finger on exactly what changed. Perhaps more chimey and lively, and a different frequency emphasis.

It is most noticable on the 2 and 4 positions on my strat, the nasal quality is more pronounced (in a good way). Those positions seem to jump out at you.

I've heard that higher than normal primary makes it darker and lower brighter, but their may be more to it than that.

The Spitfire really satisfies when it comes to clean/semi-clean Vox-like tones, but it doesn't do any higher gain stuff. Makes me wonder about the Constellation, since it sounds like a Rocket or Express channel combined with a channel similar to the Spitfire.