Express Clone "Tarryn" demo

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Express Clone "Tarryn" demo

Post by M Fowler »

I'm 56 and I know the Express amps I've built have a weird tone that I don't like, other players enjoy the crap out of them but not me. That is why I decided to try one more time on an Express project then I'm done.

Without Ken's keen ears, knowledge, components, NOS tubes, guitar and hands I may be barking up the wrong tree, Express wise.

I didn't care for the either recording I guess that's why there are so many amps out in the real world and so many tastes.

I understand what your saying Garlin and I know a few professional guitar players from which I get great advise from. At least your last post was sweetened some :)

Mark
garlin

Post by garlin »

[delete
Last edited by garlin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
garlin

Post by garlin »

[delete
Last edited by garlin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

garlin wrote:I am critical. I am discerning. I don't believe that what is most important is to have a forum where "everybody's great - everything sounds awesome!". This is not reality. This is subjective but I don't give a criticism without attempting to explain and demonstrate why I make the criticism.
Even though I am a critical ornery old guy, I think it's healthy to have some different opinions offered. I don't think of myself as the greatest (I know about Guthrie Govan) but I do have a very specific idea of what negative qualities have become ubiquitous with overdriven guitar tone and IMO no one seems to hear it. This is a bad thing. I actually do hope my criticism is ultimately constructive even if it isn't the most diplomatic approach. I've hardened about this because every time I try to get someone to listen to better tone and be more discerning, I get told I'm the one who knows nothing, and it's always from some kid who hasn't the slightest doubt that no one could no more than he does. It's gotten old.
Yeah, I don't buy the whole everybody-gets-a-trophy bullshit that is hardwired into the American DNA these days either but there is a difference in how that message gets conveyed. I believe you are a talented builder and great player, it's just your presentation that rubbed me raw enough to say something. I also understand your perspective that a lot of kids do not give any deference to wisdom these days so I can completely empathize with how you developed your stalwart persona. And I'm not being critical of that.
garlin

Post by garlin »

delete
Last edited by garlin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

You also have to realize that different people have different tastes than you. I consider the clips you posted to be a little too smooth and neutered for my taste. Too much like an eighties hair band power ballad.

However, a lot of clips people post aren't to enter into some battle of the bands competition as much as to demonstrate other features of the amp. For example, none of the clips you've posted really demonstrate the clean to mean aspect of Trainwreck amps, which I find to be the most interesting aspect.

If every guitarist in the world wanted the exact same tone, then only be one amp needed.

I love a lot of different guitar tones. From the grungy low-fi tones of Neal Young and The Black Keys, to the soaring and lyrical, heavily effected sounds of David Gilmour. The raw "about-to-explode" tones of Hendrix live, to his more thoughtful and rhythmically beautiful studio compositions.

Vive la différence.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

garlin wrote:My opinion that some tone is buzzy and unmusical is NOT bad mouthing, it's bringing a denied truth out into the light. Someone needs to do it. When people play great and get good tone, I enthusiastically spread the word. It's probably good that it's rare - it should be special. It will not be special if everyone thinks mediocre or bad tone is great tone. I am not bad mouthing, just trying to keep it real. Offending some is the price - get over it.
Does anybody agree with me?
Garlin
Garlin,

I'm not discounting or misinterpreting your point or opinion. I agree that Shaun's recording does leave a lot to be desired. It does sound buzzy and thin but I'm listening past the recording. You are dismissing his amp as sounding thin and buzzy when the recording is probably the culprit. No one is bandwagoning here and congratulating him on a shit build so as not to hurt his feelings. Second, no one is propagating the fallacy that everyone builds great amps all the time. What I took offense to was that you made a blanket statement that:
garlic wrote:"this is a club for less experienced players (not a criticism) and I am not wanted (I assume) unless I agree with all of you."
There are a lot of guys here that make or have made music for a living and are probably on average mid to late 50s, same as you. And you are separating yourself from everyone else, no one said those things about you. Why would people think that?
garlin wrote:I know, none of you guys are professional guitar players but just try this idea on - see if it you hear what I'm talking about.
That's what I'm talking about, as if I and others here are somehow incapable of comprehending the grand depth and breadth of your insight. I'm sure you'd be cool to hang out with but man, that Guitar Center ego stuff is played out. I'm ok with it if you've got the best chops in the room.
garlin

Post by garlin »

delete
Last edited by garlin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
garlin

Post by garlin »

delete
Last edited by garlin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

You're pretty fucking immature for a 59 year old.

First of all, I've never claimed to be a "professional guitarist." Where's your body of work? I assume by professional you mean that you derive a majority of your income from playing guitar. Wait, I know several buskers in Seattle that can claim that. I also know guys that claim to be a professional guitarist because one time their take from the night was more than their bar tab. I suppose a guitar teacher could also claim to be a professional guitarist.

I don't care if you come on here claiming to be the Queen of Fucking England, your posts are all self-promotional and condescending. This board has posts from John Suhr, Dr. Z, Andy Fuchs, and few other talented amp builders who wish to remain anonymous. None of them have ever derided members like you have.

Your opinion of me is meaningless. You are just some random idiot on "teh Internets".

And please learn how to put your response outside the quote blocks. The only thing worse than looking like a pompous ass is looking like an idiot, though I suppose the two are connected.
garlin

Post by garlin »

delete
Last edited by garlin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

I'm going to take your advice and not respond to any more of your asinine posts after this.

"If you can't hear by my post that I'm a professional guitar player"

If posts were notes on a guitar, I'd say you are horribly out of tune.

"You can find out about me at AIRBLOOM AMPLIFIERS"

So your ulterior motive here is to trash other amp builders for financial gain and self promotion. Yet even among the pro builders that post here, you've never offered any technical advice. You call someones build harsh, but have never offered advice about how to tame the harshness. Probably because you don't have that knowledge. Please prove me wrong.

I'm sure you will claim that is proprietary info. Simply because you don't have the technical chops to offer anyone advice, other than "I am better than you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01UipbZL3ww
garlin

Post by garlin »

delete
Last edited by garlin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
garlin

Post by garlin »

delete
Last edited by garlin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
garlin

Post by garlin »

delete
Last edited by garlin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.