Multimeter suggestions?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

DocRocz

Multimeter suggestions?

Post by DocRocz »

I'd like some feedback from everyone and anyone about what they think is a great multimeter.
I'm not looking for a multimeter that doubles as a microwave, but a meter that does the job for amp building.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thank you
cbass

Re: Multimeter suggestions?

Post by cbass »

Honestly if your just doing this for hobby just about any cheap multimeter will work.As long as the voltage range is high enough
cbass

Post by cbass »

Also questions like this belong in the technical discusion.This forum is for Trainwreck specific discussion.
billyz

Post by billyz »

I like to pick up good used flukes on ebay. One of the best and cheapest is an old model 27. There are many other old flukes that work great though. The 27's dont seem to have the fading display problem of some of the newer models like the 87, 89etc.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

I really dig my Fluke 115. If you have the scratch, not a bad option, and certainly not as high as many of their other models.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

+1 for Fluke anything. I love my 87V.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a Fluke, haunt eBay for an older model bench meter or older 80 series hand held. I've got an 8600-A that I think I paid about $20 with shipping.

Get an auto-ranging meter. You will soon tire of one that is not auto-ranging.

I learned a lesson the hard way but still came out OK. These older bench meters come in two flavors. One is plug in only (recommended) and the other is battery/rechargable (avoid). The battery model requires 4 NiCd batteries, which I promptly had to replace. The battery meter won't operate without the batteries. Of course, being a DIY-er, I was able to buy and change the batteries OK (no user serviceable parts inside <snicker>), but I think that set me back another $15 or so that I didn't expect to spend.

Something like this is more than adequate and will last you a lifetime:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUKE-8020-Mult ... 3382b2cdab
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-73-Multim ... 3cd225c0a5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-8050A-Dig ... 1e7b73d2af
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Use the search function. This has been discussed many times before.
romberg

Post by romberg »

Flukes are seem to be the gold standard. If my old BK precision ever dies, I'll replace it with a fluke. The one thing I'd definitely recommend is to get one which can measure capacitance. Mine does and I use it all the
time. I never could figure out how manufactures label the small signal caps. So, having a meter which does this is a real help.

Mike
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

romberg wrote:Flukes are seem to be the gold standard. If my old BK precision ever dies, I'll replace it with a fluke. The one thing I'd definitely recommend is to get one which can measure capacitance. Mine does and I use it all the
time. I never could figure out how manufactures label the small signal caps. So, having a meter which does this is a real help.

Mike
+1 for measuring capacitance! Many cheaper examples do this these days. The $40 one that preceded my Fluke did too, and it was nothing to brag about.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have 5 sitting around but the one I use the most is my Fluke 115.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

M Fowler wrote:I have 5 sitting around but the one I use the most is my Fluke 115.
Brothers in multimeters! :D
DocRocz

Post by DocRocz »

Thank you to all that contributed to this thread.

I feel I got lucky and found a very nice Fluke 76 True RMS for $45.00.
It came with the case and leads and also an AC Current Probe.
Works like a champ.

Thank you again for your suggestions.
Doc
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Phil_S wrote:Get an auto-ranging meter. You will soon tire of one that is not auto-ranging.
Quoted for truth. I've had an auto-ranging meter since I was a kid, and I hate working without it. Hooray for my old Craftsman; may you never die! :lol:

Edit: Just saw you got one. Congrats!
nhantruong2346

Post by nhantruong2346 »

I am using the Fluke 115 multimeter. This device is equipped with True RMS, which effectively measures multiple lines in the circuit. AC / DC voltage measurement with 600.0 mV rating; measuring 600 Ohm circuit, automatic alarm <20 Ohm, switching off> 25 Ohm, breaking open circuit or short circuit of 500µS or longer; resistance measurement with a range of 40,00 Mohm / 0.01 Mohm; measuring capacitance> 1000 µF, accuracy of 5% + 20%; Measuring range frequency 50kHz / 0.01 kHz. Model 115 measures the main circuits with 600V power measurement. The appropriate voltage level measures a 3-phase power distribution system, withstands continuous overpressure that can occur on the grid or in industrial environments. Using this device I am completely assured, because it meets all electrical safety standards CAT III 600V, IEC 61010-1. Luckily, when I visited: (Moderator removed link, no shilling for this kind of thing, your own hand built amps, sure, but that belongs in the for sale forum) , I bought the device at a price that couldn't be better.