Wreckit 2xEL84 build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Drumslinger

Re: Wreckit 2xEL84 build

Post by Drumslinger »

Looks like the pics didn't come through Smoke.
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

Nice and neat Smoke. Congrats on the build! How does she sound?
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Thanks man! This was the first build I really took my time with, so I'm happy with the way it turned out. I *think* it sounds great, as I'm recovering from a perforated eardrum, so my critical listening skills are kinda shot right now. So through one ear, I dig the compression and chime and it breaks up nicely. It'll be great for spanky country gigs, and it rocks out too.Plenty loud. Lots of bass on tap and a little fender flub, but I'm diggin it. I'll do some clips after the weekend.
jjman

Post by jjman »

If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Haha! Good one! I was hoping someone had a clever comment for that pic.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Haha, he's a leafhopper! Leafhopper knows tone 8)
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Awesome! :lol:
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

Well, it takes a while to work the bugs out on a new amp, no doubt.

Seriously though, great project and build, Smoke! I'm looking forward to watching this develop.
This message has been printed using 100% recycled electrons.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Thanks Kelly. I gotta get my faceplate and cab together. I talked to the super-awesome Jeanne at BNP cause they accidentally scaled my Express faceplate and have to do another, but she said they got a new version of Corel that doesn't import Inkscape files(thus the scaling) and she said they may have to move to only accepting Corel files, which is a bummer cause I just got the hang of Inkscape !
My chassis is 16x8 and flanged out( last time I do that) so I'm trying to figure out if I wanna go trad trainwreck cab or Marshall style w/ overhang front panel.
Who do you guys like for cabs?
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

Ugghhh...Man, she stands to lose a lot of business only accepting Corel files.

I would think that there has to be a way that you could save your Inkscape files for importing to corel. Maybe if you save your .svg files as an encapsulated postcript file (.eps). Corel might accept an eps and keep your art as vector and your scaling intact.

I hate corel's updates. Too bad Jeanne can't keep an extra PC around that's running an older version.
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

Ok, this might work for you. Download Scribus:

http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

It's open source and pretty cool.

Save your Inkscape files as a plain .svg.

I'm almost positive you can then open, or import your .svg in Scribus and export your file as a .pdf.

Corel should be able to import, or open, a PDF with no problem.

Good Luck!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Corel should be able to import, or open, a PDF with no problem.
Yes Corel imports .pdf I send both corel file and .pdf to Jeanne at BNP when I order.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Thanks guys. Scribus looks good. Inkscape can export PDF as well, and I always send her svg, pdf, bmp, but she seemed to indicate that pdfs aren't doing the trick with her version of CD. So I did find this info as well :

"To get data from Inkscape to CorelDraw: You can save the Inkscape document as a .ps file, which happily imports into CorelDraw. However, if there is text in your Inkscape document, it will need to be converted to paths (Path -> Object to Path) prior to saving as a .ps

I've found that if I don't convert text to paths first, CorelDraw cannot open the .ps file."

I downloaded CD(free for 1 month) and it works! At first glance, CD seems to basicall work just like Inkscape, so maybe I will migrate and *ahem* "buy" CD
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Interesting! I am a long time CD user (since the mid 90's) and have only experienced text problems when importing files that use text types for which I don't already have the font file on my machine.

CD has always asked "permission" to substitute existing text types before opening but has never flat out failed to open the file.

As suggested, always converting text to curves (vector) is the safe approach when going "cross application" with vector art. But....you lose some flexibility when you want to make changes to the converted "text".

Finding and installing the desired text file on your machine is still the ultimate approach. I have never had a problem finding them in the past. Of course, determining the name of the font type you need can be frustrating.

Cheers,
Dave O.