Express sounds better with25 watt Celestions

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

chrisq206

Express sounds better with25 watt Celestions

Post by chrisq206 »

I've been trying different speakers with my Express build and 25 watt Celestions sound so much better than everything else I've tried. a Warehouse ET 65 sounded pretty good, but everything else I've tried makes my Express sound like a different (not so great) amp. The amp breaths through 25s, more sparkle, more drive, better frequencies come out over all.

Two people I played my amp for got a litany of excuses about how it sounds so much better through 25s, because I was demoing it to them through other speakers.

I've tried
Old Fanes
Vintage 30s (Bad)
Eminence Texas Heat, Swamp Thangs,

I have a few more to try, but...

What are you experiences?
RockinRocket

Re: Express sounds better with25 watt Celestions

Post by RockinRocket »

What are you using a 2x12?
chrisq206

Post by chrisq206 »

4x12, 2x12, 1x12, Ran the gamut.
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

With the exception of the vox/alnico combination, I would say every amp sounds better through greenbacks.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Why try the ET65? I suppose you already had it? From WGS, Green Beret would be the one to try if comparing to a Greenback.
chrisq206

Post by chrisq206 »

Yes ET 65s came in a trade.

They're going bye bye.

Have you compared Green Berets directly to Greenbacks?
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

I agree 25s rule. My favorite with my original Express have always been old original Pulsonic cone G12M 25s. I found my first quad of them 25 years ago, and they date from '71. I also have some Scumback M75s, and a couple new Creamback Celestion G12Ms that I often use live. Still, my go to studio cab (since '89) has been a '68 slant basket weave Marshall 4x12 with the old 25s. For some reason my 25s actually sound fuller in the slant box then they do in a similar era straight.
RCGPNY1

Post by RCGPNY1 »

Actually...to us "old timers" "greenback" can mean G12M's(25watt) or
G12H(30 watt) as they fitted the green,sometimes black or cream,plastic covers to both speakers. IMHO the G12H's are just a little nicer than G12M's.
They are somewhat smoother on the top and a slighly fuller bottom...they are also more efficient. I play my RJ Lerpoole 15 thru a Marshall clone 2x12 cab with British made G12H's and I have never had a better guitar tone. I also have a Marshall 1982JH cab (with that wonderful 100 logo in the corner) that has G12C's in it. They seems to have more of the M tone but very smooth(and that size magnet). It's very hard to tell about specifics as room/floor loading etc will effect what you're hearing