Just receive an Express… No Sound, any idea??

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rp

Re: Just receive an Express… No Sound, any idea??

Post by rp »

As you're in contact w/ the original builder you're likely set, but thought I'd add that the schematic, layout and even a complete voltage chart are on file here, your tech doesn't need more than that, it's a universal language. It's a sweet clone by one of the poobahs here so maybe impress on your tech to fix/restore the stack-o-caps rather than replace especially if it's Mallory TCs - ie don't go punching out for radial cans. Funny, in my eyes this modern clone is already a classic in need of a restoration and to be treated with kid gloves :lol: A new category arises: Vintage Classic Clone.
Last edited by rp on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Hello: here's a question: would this thing power up if the PT was wired for 120v, but needed 240V?

this is a beauty of an amp, some of your guys builds should not have a cabinet, love looking at gut shots.

Also, cause I'm new, what is a PI?
sorry to highjack this threrad
rp

Post by rp »

joeboo88 wrote:Hello: here's a question: would this thing power up if the PT was wired for 120v, but needed 240V?
Why wouldn't you re-wire it for 240V???

Not sure what you are asking and even less why, but if you mean the primary is wired for 120V (on a multi-tap PT) and you intend to plug into 240V at the wall, it'll power up all right - all the way to the moon - stand well clear. At the very least you will find out how well it's fused. IOW don't do it!

If you mean it's a 240V amp that you intend to plug into 120V wall outlet it won't explode, but it won't work, so don't do that either.

Don't do either of these things with anything, unless it's like a cell phone or laptop and the PS says 120/240 on it.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

sorry i meant with carldut's problem with no sound. He said the amp tech only speaks French so I thought maybe they live in Europe maybe?
maybe the amp is wired for North American AC....maybe i shouldnt have said anything.
da Geezer

Post by da Geezer »

joeboo88 wrote:sorry i meant with carldut's problem with no sound. He said the amp tech only speaks French so I thought maybe they live in Europe maybe?
maybe the amp is wired for North American AC....maybe i shouldnt have said anything.
I think those are excellent questions for the OP..... Where do you live, and what is your wall voltage? And, what mains voltage is the amp wired/set up for?
rp

Post by rp »

I didn't look at it that way, thought it was hypothetical and the asker had his own experiment in mind. Never occurred to me someone wouldn't know if something was meant for 120 or 240, I've been going from 120 to 240 land since I was a little kid - learned right away what's what, and the plugs are different anyway, or were, now we have IECs on the back of amps and if you don't have the cord you really might not know. I actually should go over my IEC amps and stick a voltage sticker on them, at least a piece of tape- never know where an amp could wind up.

Apologies, it was a good question.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

No worries. I should have worded my query better. :D
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

joeboo88 wrote: Also, cause I'm new, what is a PI?
Phase inverter
carldut

It's repair

Post by carldut »

Good news guy's,
the amp is now repair.

when I receive it. the standby switch was loose so I tight it up. One of the wire got twisted and then broke.

So that was it. Thanks for your help, really appreciated.
Also we redid the caps glue thing since the amp was already open.

Thanks again to you all.

Carl