Newbie Trainwreck Question?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rolloman

Newbie Trainwreck Question?

Post by rolloman »

I recently discovered the Trainwreck 4-4-0 on another forum and would like to build it or something possibly here that is equavilent. I believe due to the large forum activity on The Amp Garage I could get the help I will need along the way. Does a low wattage Trainwreck type amp schematic and files exist here? If so what is it called and have others built it or the 4-4-0. Thanks in advance. So glad I found this site. Looks like a wealth of knowledge here. :)
James
Colossal

Re: Newbie Trainwreck Question?

Post by Colossal »

The 4-4-0 is the creation of Cliff Chappell and others on the AX84.com forum. I have personally played Cliff's prototype. It used a 6SN7 dual triode for the power section and a custom Heyboer output transformer. I can report that it sounded and behaved quite similarly to a full sized EL34 based Express (which I have also built). Through a single 12" AX84 speaker enclosure it was plenty loud enough to make my ears ring.

I know others here have built the 4-4-0, just do a search. You can also find the documentation in the Associate Projects section of AX84.com.
rolloman

Post by rolloman »

Will do. Thnx.
James
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Here's a link to one I did. It's now my go-to amp. Absolutely sizzles with my Les Paul.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 80&start=0
rolloman

Post by rolloman »

Great. Glad to know others have built the 4-4-0. Sounds like you made a few changes. Did the separate caps work out instead of the multi-cap on the parts list.

Also, do you have any documentation on your build you could share?

Did you use the rotary switch to go between 4,8, 16 ohm speakers. I don't plan on having that option and instead using 3 separate output jacks.

I'm sitting here putting all the parts from the AX84 BOM list into an Excel file so that I can have the prices automatically add up for me and compare those costs between several sources at one look.
James
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Yeah, the stack o' caps worked fine. Mine was more Trainwreck-ish in appearance than the 4-4-0. There was a pretty good suggestion from Romberg in that thread about reworking the PI to get more useable cleans, but I never had the gumption to do it. Any documentation I had on the build is in that thread. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, and I'll do my best to answer!
rolloman

Post by rolloman »

Thanks so much. I'm sure I will have some along the way. How about the rotary switch, did you use that in the build?
James
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

No, my OT only had one secondary tap, so I ditched the rotary switch in favor of having dual bias.