Anyone interested in an Amp gathering in the NY/NJ area

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

HeeBGB
Site Admin

Anyone interested in an Amp gathering in the NY/NJ area

Post by HeeBGB »

I'm gonna organize some sort of gathering in the NY/NJ area. I've got about 11 guys from the 18watt site so far.

I am trying to get as many different amp and speaker configs as possible. If you don't have anything to offer it's not a problem. Everyone is welcome.

I have not set a date yet but it will be held in the Newark airport area in the spring.

Anyone interested can post here or email me at gcbu@yahoo.com

Amp builders are welcome.

Thanks

Greg
Chris G

amp Gathering

Post by Chris G »

Hi Greg,
I will try to attend sounds good, maybe some wreck builders can make the event with there homebrews!!!!! If I go, I will have my 3 amps with me
Thanks Chris :D
Mark

Re: Anyone interested in an Amp gathering in the NY/NJ area

Post by Mark »

I hope someone with a real Express or Liverpool amp attends Chris.

I think your amps will give the real thing a run for there money, or be better!
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Off topic

Post by Mark »

Chris

Did you ever go to that studio in NYC and A/B your amps against the real thing?

It's the acid test. I hope to do it one day.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

[quote="Mark"]I hope someone with a real Express or Liverpool amp attends Chris. quote]

Actually...Ken Fisher doesn't live but 10 minutus away from my office where we will be gathering. Maybe we can all take a short road trip to his house.

Seriously though maybe I should invite him. He could be a guest judge for the ampfest. He could certainly bring the real deal. If he doesn't have one handy he could probably just throw one together! :P

Greg
Omar

Post by Omar »

Greg,
I wouldn't be able to make it but would like to send a couple of my amps to get some feedback and to see how they stack up.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Mark wrote:I hope someone with a real Express or Liverpool amp attends Chris.

I think your amps will give the real thing a run for there money, or be better!
Hi Mark,
It would real cool if someone with the real deal attended!!!! Than at least I could see if my amps were close or not. :D

Thank-you for your kind words!!!.......It would be cool if they did,but I doubt it :roll:

Thanks again Mark.........couldn't have done it without your Help!!!!!!!
Chris
Chris G

Re: Off topic

Post by Chris G »

Mark wrote:Chris

Did you ever go to that studio in NYC and A/B your amps against the real thing?

It's the acid test. I hope to do it one day.

Hi Mark,
I never made it to NYC :( ,i AGREE the only real way to tell if our amps stack up!!!!
Chris
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

HeeBGB wrote:
Mark wrote:I hope someone with a real Express or Liverpool amp attends Chris. quote]

Actually...Ken Fisher doesn't live but 10 minutus away from my office where we will be gathering. Maybe we can all take a short road trip to his house.

Seriously though maybe I should invite him. He could be a guest judge for the ampfest. He could certainly bring the real deal. If he doesn't have one handy he could probably just throw one together! :P

Greg
Hi Greg,
I think that would be a Great Idea!!!! It would be cool to let Ken hear my amps,Than maybe he could tweak them so they sound like a wreck lol :shock:
Thanks
Chris
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Omar,

No problem about shipping your amps. I will take very good care of them and get them back to you as quickly as possible. After I've had a look inside of course. :twisted:

I was actually thinking about renting a Komet for the fest to see how we stack up. I would try to rent an Express but I don't know where to find one of those.

Greg
Omar

Post by Omar »

Greg,
Sounds good. Feel free to look inside, but I'll cover everything in black goop just like Dumble!!! :D

I think a gathering of Trainwreck clones, Komets, and maybe the real thing (wonder if you could rent one from Ultrasound) would be awesome!

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Mark

Post by Mark »

When shall will the shootout take place. I'm very keen to hear the results of all of this.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

The Date for the ampfest is set for May 21st.

Anyone that plans to attend should email me ASAP at gcbu@yahoo.com

Thanks

Greg
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Greg, by the way are you very close to the NY studio that has some Trainwreck amps?

Have you visited there and heard them?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Hi Mark,

Yes my office is about 20-40 minutes (depending on traffic) outside of NYC where Ultrasound Studios is located, and very close to Colonia, NJ where Ken Fischere lives.

I have not played an Original wreck. I have called ultrasound to get a preice on renting a real wreck for a test drive and some recording I want to do.

I also spoke to Greg Levy at Hi-Test Guitars, who has a Liverpool (I think...could be a Rocket) for sale at present. A very nice guy. I actually want to go up and visit him in reguards to a mangled LP junior that I have obtained. I want to date the guitar but most of the usual dating methods are not usable due to the mangled nature of the guitar. I believe it to be a mid 50's model but I'm not sure yet. If anyone out there can help I'd appreciate it.

All electronics are gone, it has been refinished (no serial # even under black light), All hardware is gone (It's been routed for a Kahler Trem), It has been routed for two humbucking P'ups with full LP controls including the selector switch on the upper bout (single cut)

The only saving grace is I don't think the neck has ever been snapped, BUT the finish around the neck joint makes me think it has been reset but who knows at this point. It IS a Gibson and I got it cheap.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it.

I just realized this has nothing to do with an AMPFEST

Sorry guys

Greg