What should I build with these transformers?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Gainzilla

What should I build with these transformers?

Post by Gainzilla »

Hey all,

I got a couple of these custom Pacific Transformers from a builder closing up shop. He said they were specced for a 6V6 build, but they look like maybe suitable for an Express? Something else? Something NOT a wreck? Thoughts?

Thanks,

- Bryce
IMG_3028.JPG
IMG_3029.JPG
IMG_3030.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: What should I build with these transformers?

Post by pompeiisneaks »

First, if you realize your post is in the wrong place, it probably takes about the same amount of time for me to 'move' one than to 'delete' one. You could have just pm'ed me or even mentioned in the thread something like

"Ooops mods please move to the right section"

:)

Not a big deal either way though.

As for the OT, I looked up here for a great list of different operating points of an amp: http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=EL34 (I love Tube Data Sheet Locator, it's great)

and it 'does' say that 6k is possible, but it seems like 2 in AB need closer to somewhere between 2.5 and 4k. The other thing you'd have to look at is the PT. Does it have enough current to run the EL34's heaters? It doesn't look like it. That PT says it has 3A on the 6.3 volt winding, that's enough for ONLY 2 power tubes and nothing else (EL34 want 1.5 A per tube.) So you'd have nothing left for the preamp tubes (only usually about 100mA per tube, but that's still more current).

I'd say it's wiser to stick to the designed use in this kind of custom wound transformer. Unless you want to use a different PT with the EL34 based build?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Gainzilla

Post by Gainzilla »

I guess I'm used to the old forum software/rudderless ship where those would just sit there forever. Consider myself effectively scolded! :P

Good point about the heater current. I wasn't even thinking about the preamp yet. I know there are a couple good 6V6 schems floating around, and since thats a tube I've never built around, maybe I'll just go ahead and do a 6V6 Express.

BTW, I know we've chatted before, but I'm a local guy to you.

anyway, thanks! I'll be sure to ping you if I mis-post next time.

- Bryce
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Gainzilla wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:55 pm I guess I'm used to the old forum software/rudderless ship where those would just sit there forever. Consider myself effectively scolded! :P

Good point about the heater current. I wasn't even thinking about the preamp yet. I know there are a couple good 6V6 schems floating around, and since thats a tube I've never built around, maybe I'll just go ahead and do a 6V6 Express.

BTW, I know we've chatted before, but I'm a local guy to you.

anyway, thanks! I'll be sure to ping you if I mis-post next time.

- Bryce
True dat! Time for a PNW beer drinking meetup somewhere no? :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Gainzilla

Post by Gainzilla »

I'm in! Seems like there are other PNW'ers around here as well!

So, looking at my options... given 3 12ax7 preamp tubes... I could maybe do a pair of 6L6's or 6V6's... Or a QUAD of 6V6's! :P

KT88's only draw .98 so if I really wanted to push it. That seems like overkill, though. :)
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Gainzilla wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:21 am I'm in! Seems like there are other PNW'ers around here as well!

So, looking at my options... given 3 12ax7 preamp tubes... I could maybe do a pair of 6L6's or 6V6's... Or a QUAD of 6V6's! :P

KT88's only draw .98 so if I really wanted to push it. That seems like overkill, though. :)
I think a quad of 6V6's wants about 4-5k but would still work with 6. heater current is .45 x 4 so less than 2 A for the quad, giving room for the preamp tubes. Sounds like that could be pretty cool. :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!