Power supply layout for Expresso

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erigm

Power supply layout for Expresso

Post by erigm »

I was looking in the "files" section and couldn't find any layouts for the power supply board. The chassis layout file shows all the mounting points for everthing but the power supply board. Is there any information on this? Also, how would changing the orientation of the transformers affect the amp (both of them 90degrees ... so they are still 90degrees different to reject noise)? Most amps have the power tranny orientated the opposite way I think (the bells front to back). Thanks! This site is awesome!
-erigm
snide

PS

Post by snide »

Hi,

I don't know if you can open visio files so I put a possible layout in a word document (zipped). I made this layout for my build and it worked great. This also has a corrected bias circuit for the A1a version. Let me know if you want the visio version. This is totally my take on the circuit, so feel free to change to suit your needs!

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

The unfinished work.

Post by Mark »

You both are quite correct about the power supply layout.

I have looked at the power supply layout of the amp "Ginger" which I didn't like at all. I also have looked at various clone amps, and the thing which is instantly noticeable is that everyone copies the board layout, but no one copies the power supply layout.

The Komet has a nice layout, and something like that would be good.

I dare say in the future I shall come up with a power supply layout that I'm happy with, but until then............
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
erigm

80uF cap?

Post by erigm »

Thank you snide for that nice layout ... looks good, and I downloaded and opened it no problem. One thing though, isn't there supposed to be an 80uF cap there somewhere for the plates? Or did you put it somewhere else? Thanks!
-erigm
erigm

Re: Power supply layout for Expresso

Post by erigm »

Thank you Mark! Let us know what kind of layout you settle on.
-erigm
erigm

Snide, I found the "80"uF cap!

Post by erigm »

Oh, I see Snide. You used two 160uF caps in series (with the 220k in parallel with each cap). One quick look and I thought they were part of the bias supply ... but then I saw the bias supply. Anyway, thanks again! What is the manufacturer of the 160uF caps you use ... and what is there voltage rating? Thanks!
-erigm
snide

caps

Post by snide »

Hi erigm,

The caps are made by UCC and have a tolerance of -10/+20%. They have a conservative voltage rating of 330vdc. They are available from Mouser under P/N 661-PH330 The cost is $2.23 per cap.

Eric
Last edited by snide on Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Trainwrecks and Mallory caps.

Post by Mark »

I shall come up with a power supply layout that I'm happy with this year. I do know that Matt Taylor has a layout for the power supply that he has been working on.

One of the reasons that I haven't come up with a layout yet is that the caps of preference in a Trainwreck are Mallorys. I'm also against using two 160uF caps in series if I can as they use up too much real estate. I should point out that I have no idea at all if the Mallory caps work any better than any other brand of caps in the amp. I purely working my way through it all and try to come up with a layout that can accommodate many brands of capacitor.

I shall be coming up with a layout sometime this year, at my usual past no doubt!
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott