Express build with a soundclip.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Oswald1958

Express build with a soundclip.

Post by Oswald1958 »

Well, after 2 years. Yep...years, I've finished my Express. Boy did I learn a lot. Mainly....somewhat how to solder, how to bias an amp, how expensive it can really be, and most importantly......TUBES make a huge difference in this amp. This is representative of my re-build. My first build was hexed! There was one note on the fretboard that had a harmonic shift and sounded awful to me. After months of troubleshooting...I just rebuilt a new preamp board and replaced the wiring with solid core. Solid core was a lot easier to work with. And I bought N.O.S. tubes (KCA NOS Tubes). Wow, what a difference. The pic's show the tubes used for the clip. V1:Telefunken 12AX7, V2:RCA branded Mullard 12AX7, V3:JAN Mullard 12AT7. Power tubes: Siemens EL34. 2003 PRS Singlecut bridge pickup. Volume at about 10:00 through a 12" Scumback speaker into a custom Earcandy "Soveriegn" cab. Miked through a vintage Shure SM57 into an Audio Buddy preamp > RNC 1733 compressor > and a Roland VS-840 Digital Studio Workstation. I put reverb onto the clip "master out" digitally into Vegas Audio on my PC. No other effects were used. I just made some stuff up to show how the amp sounded. I haven't played in a band since the 80's...and I'm rusty. But You should get an idea of how my amp sounds. The first little passage was through a Celstion Vintage 30 with a lot of compression. The second longer passage was with the Scumback and less compression. I love it. My wife and kids think it's too loud. I guess I did a good job. Thanks to all the posters and regulars that helped to inspire and guide me in the building of this awesome amp. Since this build....I've gutted and handwired an Epiphone Valve Junior and built an Airbrake clone. What next? Great site...great people on TAG!

Thanks, and here's the files>>>>>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Oswald1958 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob-I

Re: Express build with a soundclip.

Post by Bob-I »

Looks and sounds great. EXcellent work!!
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

M75 65 watt Scumback?
Oswald1958

Post by Oswald1958 »

M75 65Watt Scumback. The first little bit of the clip was actually through a Celestion Vintage 30 and compressed a bit more. The 2nd longer passage was through the Scumback. New out of the box. Thank you Southbay Ampworks! You could tell...couldn't you.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Great job mister! Good mix of tones. Folks that haven't experienced that harmonic shift can't believe it the first time they plug in.

Very nice!
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

Oswald1958 wrote:M75 65Watt Scumback. The first little bit of the clip was actually through a Celestion Vintage 30 and compressed a bit more. The 2nd longer passage was through the Scumback. New out of the box. Thank you Southbay Ampworks! You could tell...couldn't you.
I got lucky and guessed. :wink: OK...maybe not. :D
Noel Grassy

Post by Noel Grassy »

Allright, I'm glad you built something so successfully. Did yours have plenty of the bright content? It looks like you chose to eschew the bright switch in the end. I understand, personal tastes are just that. Ken wanted us to experience and develop our own way too. :wink:

The tubes really had a large effect on the amp? In terms of harmonic content or the amps 'playability'? (interaction might be a better word)

If I didn't have to buy the whole tubeset for my soon to be completed kometype amp, I'd happily plunk down the fundage for the Seimens EL-34

ng
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza
Oswald1958

Post by Oswald1958 »

Noel, The tube thing for me was "rattle". Tone really had nothing to do with it at the time (tone was certainly improved by using NOS tubes). I used new production tubes, and I heard a tinny rattle on low notes (E,A,D). I always thought it was the amp. I tried NOS tubes (even some NOS tubes rattle) and the tone was clean as a whistle. Electro Harmonix, JJ's and groove tube 12AX7's rattled. They may work in some tube amps....but not my Express. I think V1 is a must for your best 12AX7. V2 maybe not as much, and V3 I use a 12AT7 because they are a lot less expensive. And now, I have to acquire a lifetime supply. I wonder how many that would take? Of course, these statements are an indication of what I found in my quest for "Tone". Results may vary. Maybe I'll make a clip with new producton tubes and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

I'll work on that.
Last edited by Oswald1958 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strato17

Post by strato17 »

Oswald1958 wrote:Noel, The tube thing for me was "rattle". Tone really had nothing to do with it at the time (tone was certainly improved by using NOS tubes). I used new production tubes, and I heard a tinny rattle on low notes (E,A,D). I always thought it was the amp. I tried NOS tubes (even some NOS tubes rattle) and the tone was clean as a whistle. Electro Harmonix, JJ's and groove tube 12AX7's rattled. They may work in some tube amps....but not my Express. I think V1 is a must for your best 12AX7. V2 maybe not as much, and V3 I use a 12AT7 beause they are a lot less expensive. And now, I have to acquire a lifetime supply. I wonder how many that would take? Of course, these statements are an indication of what I found in my quest for "Tone". Results may vary. Maybe I'll make a clip with new producton tubes and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

I'll work on that.
I get a little rattle myself with my clone. Are both preamp and power tubes prone to this, or is one more susceptible than the other?
Oswald1958

Post by Oswald1958 »

I recorded a Groove Tubes GT12AX7M in my Express and a NOS Telefunken (KCA Nos Tubes) in V1 only. V2 & V3 were not changed and Siemens EL34 were not changed and settings were the same as the first recorded clip but with no reverb added (2nd less compressed). The first 3 notes are the GT12AX7M, changed tube, and the final 2 are the Telefunken. Do you hear what I hear? The GT12AX7 rattles and the Telefunken does not. Most new production sounds like this through my Express (keep in mind that some NOS tubes will rattle too! Buy from a reputable dealer and they will supposedly have weeded these bad tubes out. That's why the good ones cost so much.). This drove me crazy for months on end. Now...I'm happy with the tubes I have in it. Expensive, but they make the amp sound right at least to my ears.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DustyBadlands

Post by DustyBadlands »

Sounds Great! D
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Just curious - did you do your sound tests with the head on top of the speaker, as in your first picture? If so, does the rattle persist if you move the head off the cab?

W
Oswald1958

Post by Oswald1958 »

All clips were recorded exactly the same. Head on top of speaker. In the beginning (2 years ago) I moved the head off of the speaker, used tube dampers, stuffed foam in the cab, all sorts of things to get rid of rattle. If the head was in the same room as the speaker it rattled. Now I use a NOS Telefunken in V1 and it's smooth. I did win a couple NOS Telefunkens on Ebay for $60 and one of them rattled. The seller sent me another one in exchange and it didn't rattle. That's just what I've experienced.