Hammond TW style chassis

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Hammond TW style chassis

Post by M Fowler »

I had asked Hammond if they could make some aluminum 17 x 8 x 2 chassis and bottom plates and they said they can but minimum order is quantiy of 25. Is there any interest in these blank chassis for projects?

I have use allynmey's chassis and they are very good but I was thinking about trying to build a more true express clone for myself.

I do not have a price quote at this time but surely can. I think these chassis are .040.

Mark
M Fowler

Re: Hammond TW style chassis

Post by M Fowler »

Also looked around for a bud chassis and there is the Bud AC-412 17x8x3 for $21.53 I have not asked for a quote from Hammond yet.

Bud AC-412 ALUM CHASSIS, 17.0 X 8.0 X 3.0 gauge 0.050
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

The original off the shelf "Trainwreck" chassis is the BUD AC-425
8" x 17" x 2" .050 thick.

I think folks would happily buy them if they weren't too pricey. I had a guy yesterday ask me to be on the lookout for one for him.

Be ready to cut some wood dowels though. Without it they do flex. However with the supports they should give you no problems as my '89 amp is just fine and didn't always ride in a roadcase. They are easier to drill and punch. I built my own pair of clones on these and it's kind of cool to do the whole deal by yourself. I also believe the extra thin chassis could have something to do with the tone, as we know aluminum makes a difference and why wouldn't there be a difference in a chassis almost 50% thinner compared to what most folks buld on? That said, most folks think I'm crazy to go there. :lol:
Plague

Post by Plague »

geetarpicker wrote:The original off the shelf "Trainwreck" chassis is the BUD AC-425
8" x 17" x 2" .050 thick.

I think folks would happily buy them if they weren't too pricey. I had a guy yesterday ask me to be on the lookout for one for him.

Be ready to cut some wood dowels though. Without it they do flex. However with the supports they should give you no problems as my '89 amp is just fine and didn't always ride in a roadcase. They are easier to drill and punch. I built my own pair of clones on these and it's kind of cool to do the whole deal by yourself. I also believe the extra thin chassis could have something to do with the tone, as we know aluminum makes a difference and why wouldn't there be a difference in a chassis almost 50% thinner compared to what most folks buld on? That said, most folks think I'm crazy to go there. :lol:
I absolutely agree that it must effect the tone.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I have heard several amps built on Allyn's chassis' (including my own), and when built well, they sound stellar. So, personally, I wouldn't want to deal with the potential of flexing issues.
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

I've managed to just squeeze them into the 16x8's without any problems, I'm not trying to make an exact copy, I like to modify a bit too much anyway
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

sliberty wrote:I have heard several amps built on Allyn's chassis' (including my own), and when built well, they sound stellar. So, personally, I wouldn't want to deal with the potential of flexing issues.
I bought a generic chassis and punched all the holes for a Liverpool with Greenlee punches. I wish someone had whacked me in the nose before I went down that road. I've since learned that stepbits are a smarter...and less painful way to go, but still, I'd just get Allyn's chassis.
xk49w

Post by xk49w »

jaysg wrote:I bought a generic chassis and punched all the holes for a Liverpool with Greenlee punches. I wish someone had whacked me in the nose before I went down that road. I've since learned that stepbits are a smarter...and less painful way to go, but still, I'd just get Allyn's chassis.
Step bits are good but there still isn't one large enough to do an octal socket is there? One punch isn't too bad.

I'm starting a Wreck Jr. build on an AO-35 chassis. Express style w/6v6 it will require one 9-pin to octal conversion. A step bit would be perfect for that.

(Quite) a bit off topic, this will be for a thirteen-year old nephew. Musically talented with a good ear. Five years of piano and many years of baseball camps, pretty much abandoned because he discovered the electric guitar. He likes Metallica. The wreck-style may not be the best for that but I'm hoping he will start checking a few more players out.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I have a unibit that does octals.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Greenlee makes one with 3/8" shank, and Dewalt makes one that has a 1/2" shank. The rest is crapolla, don't even bother. Yes, that's 1 3/8" as a max width, will do 8 pins no problem. If you are into Multi-caps, you will need the 1 3/8" version.

All of this being said, Allyn's chassis are the Bomb. 8)
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Waiting for a reply from Hammond on a thicker aluminun 17 x 8 x 2 chassis rather than the 0.050 they currently offer in there chassis. I may have pissed the sales guy off since I said I need them not so flimsy since we use heavy transformers in our amp builds. No response, hmm!

Mark
ontariomaximus

Post by ontariomaximus »

Co-incidentally I got a quote from Hammond for 25 .081 alum chassis 7 x 16 x 2.6 with holes laser cut (except for the PT and OT which I would do later). Price was $75 each (x 25). Still looking
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

I'm not sure I'd go with any other thin chassis than the exact original BUD KF used. Still it probably makes no difference and a modern thicker chassis is much stronger and folks sell them with most of the punching already done which saves you ALOT of work. However with the BUD over the HAMMOND, you could say it's truly an original spec part from the original supplier KF used. That at least gives you some bragging rights if nothing else. I like to think the thin aluminum might make some tonal difference but it's probably just wishfull thinking. I do like the fact that when I click the standby switch ON in my clone it sounds exactly like on my original, as you hear the mechanical thump go through the thin metal and get picked up by the somewhat microphonic tubes I tend to end up with... :lol: It at least helps make the experience with my clones "feel" even more familar to me. True performance tonal difference over thick metal (?), I don't have any proof. However if I were to go to the hassle with a bulk order I'd only bother going to BUD to at least get the "real deal" part cheap and thin as it may be.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Glen I was wondering if when you are home do you like to play through the original Trainwreck?

I can see not wanting to take such a valuable amp on the road but do you prefer the real deal in the safety of your home?

Or, are the clones close enough to the original in tone you can just leave it alone? :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
da Geezer

Custom Bud boxes from Mouser

Post by da Geezer »

FWIW, Mouser will do custom Bud boxes (10 minimum)....here's the info>>

http://www.mouser.com/Cart/AdditionalPr ... =5-0703-27

Don't know just how "affordable" they are though(?)