How to boost volume level in Express for lead playing

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

harryk

How to boost volume level in Express for lead playing

Post by harryk »

:roll: I gave my Express to a friend of mine to play one gig with it last weekend. He is a professional player and prayed Express soundwise. However he asked me if there is some way to increase amp volume level without changing its sound charasteristics when playin leads. I know that you have to use guitar volume pot actively, but I have also noticed that adjusting amp volume pot does not increase sound level dramatically after 11-12 o`clock. Any ideas how to solve this problem? Harry
Fischerman

Re: How to boost volume level in Express for lead playing

Post by Fischerman »

Once the amp stops getting louder as you increase the Volume knob you're at full power...that's it...there is no more.

Maybe build him a 100W version...and then start learning sign language. :lol:
harryk

Post by harryk »

:lol: If you change the value of resistor going from V2a grid to ground from 150 kohm to some 220-330 kohm by switch, does it boost signal level or does it only increase distortion? I know that this can change also the sound of the amp, but you could have two cap/res sets (150 kohm/2,2nF and 330kohm/4,7 nF for example) there to change with a switch. Any idea could this work? Harry
karczochrulez

Post by karczochrulez »

Your friend professional player play gig without PA? its very strange to me :shock:
enyway - to increase amp vol you may:
change OT trany from 6600 to 5200 ohm
use big number of speakers
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

There really isn't anything you can do to the amp if you are already clipping the output stage. You could get an Ultimate attenuator with the footswitchable two volume pot mod. Then you could back the amp down with one of the knobs, and have the other louder or even wide open. Truly though, I've played many gigs with my original Trainwreck amps in medium to large clubs and the best way around it is with a good sound man! Hopefully one that is attenative and not off getting pizza... You would have the same issues with most any fully cranked amp, be it a JTM45, Superlead, tweed bassman, etc. Once you are really pushing the output stage (which is what you want to do with a TW IMHO) your volume is pretty much at a fixed level. To be honest, if you have a good soundman they will actually love the fixed level of the amp. It gives them a very consistent volume to work with, and then they can mix it from there. The problem these days is many soundman are getting spoon fed by guitarist with boost pedals, channel switching, or volume pedals. They like to get it all set and walk away. That said if you were mixing Jimmy Page you would have the same issues, and you would have to actually work the mix.
rooster

Post by rooster »

What I would do is set the 4/12 on its back, face up on the stage. Of course, for this to work the gtr player has to be standing on a chair while he is playing. OK, so he's playng along and then he gets to the part where he needs more volume? What he does here is check his pose first, and then jump face first into the speaker cab.

As his head gets closer to the cab he should have all kinds of volume, no problem.

Now, he may find that it will take a little practice to keep playing once he hits the cab with his face? But hey, everything good in this life takes some work, you know? He'll get it if he's really serious.

..............Like me.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Runaway J

Post by Runaway J »

... what about a footswitchable VVR ?
harryk

Post by harryk »

:D Thanx guys! Very good opinions. I tend to agree with you with this case, but I have to convist my professional guitar player mate also. I am a little mad professor in my mind and that is why I try to seek new ways to do things like all guys here in Finland. This VVR idea is vey clever to try to solve problem. I understand also what is Glen`s idea to educate soundmen when gigging, but even in Finland it is easier to train a dog than get these guys behind mixing desks to understand the basics of rock`n roll and blues. I am still insisting to have an answer to my technical question of V2a problem. Harry
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

More??? Jumpin Jeebus.....

If he's a pro, stick an SM-57 in front of the cab and run some monitor feed if he can't hear.

Or MAYBE, he's been playing so loud so long he just can't hear period... :roll:

Ron
LeeMo

Post by LeeMo »

http://www.myspace.com/glenkuykendall

Have him watch Glen (Geetarpicker) work the volume controls on the clips on his myspace. He might learn something about dynamics.
LeeMo
I bought a pair of shoes from a drug dealer the other day. I dunno what he laced them with but I’ve been tripping all day,
mane

Post by mane »

Hi everybody.

To me it seems that Harryk's friend is not asking for more overall volume but
he'd like to be able to toggle between two different volumes.
That way I suppose you could play with the guitar volume knob to go from clean to super saturated for rythm
and also you could switch to a slightly louder setting for solos when playing live.

I have a powerscaled amp with a London Power kit installed.
When I turn the knob, the volume changes take a little time to happen.
This is normal with this kit, so it's not an optimal solution in case you could toggle between two settings, which I don't know if it can be done.
Maybe with a VVR it's different, don't know.
Is it possible to have two switchable settings with VVR?

Glen's two switchable volume UA attenuator suggestion seems very good.

Do you know if the UA can be ordered with an effects loop?
Or modded?
That would be great for live playing.

Mané
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

UA told me they still can do the two volume mod, it's just more expensive than the other $50 mods listed on their site. I think maybe $150? I bet they can do other mods not listed on their site, or you can get the HO built UA for less money all around. That said, I think the UA one is built better and worth the extra cash.
Rimy

Post by Rimy »

maybe i've got the solution?
i modyfied my airbrake with an extra jack soldered from the input lead to the output lead. then you take a good footswitch and use a speakercable.
i set the airbreak to rhythm volume and when i hit the footswitch, the amp comes flat out on full volume.
harryk

Post by harryk »

mane wrote:Hi everybody.

That way I suppose you could play with the guitar volume knob to go from clean to super saturated for rythm
and also you could switch to a slightly louder setting for solos when playing live.

This is normal with this kit, so it's not an optimal solution in case you could toggle between two settings, which I don't know if it can be done.

Or modded?

Mané
I think that Mane got my point in this case. Me or my friend do not need extra power, but a way to have a little boost for leads when playing live. There is no need for more distortion and no need to alter guitar tone soundwise. By the way there is one half of second triode still unused in my amp. Maybe I try to use it somehow to make a boost. I have VVR installed in several amps and it takes for a while it to react when changing power level. This is because electrolytic caps must be charged. That airbrake idea is also worth of stuyding more. So this case is not closed yet. Harry
harryk

Post by harryk »

mane wrote:Hi everybody.

Or modded?

Mané
I think that Mane got my point in this case. Me or my friend do not need extra power, but a way to have a little boost for leads when playing live. There is no need for more distortion and no need to alter guitar tone soundwise. By the way there is one half of second triode still unused in my amp. Maybe I try to use it somehow to make a boost. I have VVR installed in several amps and it takes for a while it to react when changing power level. This is because electrolytic caps must be charged. That airbrake idea is also worth of stuyding more. So this case is not closed yet. Harry