New Express Build and ?'s on a few options

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

briango2000

New Express Build and ?'s on a few options

Post by briango2000 »

First post here...I have been reading threads on here and doing serches for weeks and have ordered a kit from Nik minus trannies. I will be getting them from Moose. I have the schematics/layouts I will use but the main question I have is I am going to install a type 2 PPIMV (Don't hit me) but the one that Rockstah has used can be dimed to take it out of the circuit so it should be transparent...if not I'll take it out. I want to also along with the MV install a AC30 Cut control. Does anyone have a layout with both of these installed together? I can't seem to find one on here or anywhere else for that matter. Thanks for the help.

Brian
Firestorm

Re: New Express Build and ?'s on a few options

Post by Firestorm »

Hi Brian--

If you've been reading here for long, you how this group feels about master volumes of any sort on a 'wreck. The reason is clear from the circuit -- you do get a little preamp distortion at V2, but because the cathode resistor is unbypassed you also get compression. But the SOUND comes from slamming the output tubes and an MV will completely screw that up.

If you want to fiddle the circuit, look at the resistor on the grid of V2. Make that a pot instead (with the wiper to the V2 grid -- yes I know there are no 150K pots ... improvise). That will give you a master volume/sustain control/gain control/compression control/whatever.

Good luck. And welcome.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I haven't seen both of those options on a layout that I know of.

Here is one of Niks layouts incase you didn't have it. This is the liverpool he didn't have a mod layout for the express.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Also the Dizzy incorporates the MV and cut control so you can figure out how to use it on the express.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
briango2000

Post by briango2000 »

I actually have all of those layouts, but the dizzy 30 has the MV hooked up differently than the type 2 in the layout that was posted seperately. I just need to figure out how to hook the cut control to the type 2 MV. I read a post where someone said it was a easy addition and it sounds like it would help with brightness a bit. I'm just trying to make it so the amp can be run in true TW fashion if the MV is turned all the way up and I want to use some attenuation.

Thanks for the layouts.

Brian
billyz

Post by billyz »

I have tried all those MV in a Wreck and none of them sound good. I then tried about 6 other designs. I finally used one of my own designs which sounded the best. But, Nothing really works well in a Wreck except The VVR.
kineteks

Post by kineteks »

+1 on the VVR, I had the 1/2 power switch and MV in my Liverpool the first time around. Removed them both and just played the amp when I could use some volume. I tried the VVR & am very satisfied. Dana's VVR makes the amp usable all the time & if it doesn't sound authentic, it still sounds bitchin' and is my favorite amp. It sounds better cranked up, no argument but my situation limits the opportunity to do that very often.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I leave my Trainwrecks stock, use them that way very loudly.
I do not like Master volumes and I haven't tried Dana's VVR yet. But I have been thinking about it. :D

Mark
jjman

Post by jjman »

I'm very happy with my PPIMV. It allows me to have PI distortion or PI and stage 3 distortion, all at low volumes. Of course there is no output tube distortion with such MVs. For that you need VVR or an attenuator. And I’m using cathode biased 6v6s at “Tweed” voltage so I have a few “violations” compared to a clone.

I don't see any clipping in stage 2, and I haven't read that an Express provides that. So placing a MV control at the input to the grid of stage 3 would not provide any benefits that I can think of. Perhaps with the mid control maxed and hum buckers you could get stage 2 to clip somewhat.

I played thru a Dr Z once and the cut control didn't seem to do much. However I was expecting it to act like a MV so just 0.02 on that.

I do intend to try the VVR approach eventually. It wasn’t really accepted and proven when I planned my build. Seems that most everyone raves about it.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

jjman wrote:And I’m using cathode biased 6v6s at “Tweed” voltage so I have a few “violations” compared to a clone.

I do intend to try the VVR approach eventually. It wasn’t really accepted and proven when I planned my build. Seems that most everyone raves about it.
I don't see why you should be assessed "violations" for using tweed voltages. Isn't that exactly what the VVR does - lower the voltages (albeit across an continuous range rather than a single, fixed point)?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Exactly I was thinking about building a 6V6 express with a few other options. Tell me more about your tweed voltages.

This is a amp building forum so you can build or modify your TW anyway you want. We all love true to original TWs but from what I have read even the hard core have other amps in their stables.

Mark
leaveitalone84

Post by leaveitalone84 »

FWIW: what I've noticed about the cut control is that it can drastically lower perceived volume in these amp. You'll actually start loosing clarity/pump/volume on your high E and the B strings.

But if you just use it a "little" bit it can help tame down bright speakers.
Buschman

Post by Buschman »

I tried a ppimv and took it out. I do have a cut control but always leave it off. The express does not need it. The Express likes 6v6s just fine but I find them to be harsh compared to a quality el34 and only slightly less loud. I did install a triode pentode switch which is a usable volume reducer. BTW the express does sound good turned down.
I've got blisters on my fingers!
briango2000

Post by briango2000 »

Well after doing a lot more reading you guys have convinced me to go with a standard build :) I will be building an air brake and just using that for certain situations and I have a few other amps that will benefit from it. Thanks for all of the opinions and help.

Brian