My first post here. Speakers for Trainwreck inspired amp?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Rob Livesey

My first post here. Speakers for Trainwreck inspired amp?

Post by Rob Livesey »

Hi Guys,

Nice forum you have here. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on an Express inspired amp, it will be with me soon. I intend to use the amp with a '70 Marshall basketweave cab, model 1988. This was originally a compact 1x18 cab, but they convert beautifully into a vertical diagonal 2x12. I could use it closed back or open back, and I'd like to know what experience you guys have with either.

My fender amps all have WeberVST speakers, my Fuchs ODS I play through an EVM12L. What speakers are you guys using with your Wreck inspired amps?

Cheers,
Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
doctord02

Re: My first post here. Speakers for Trainwreck inspired amp?

Post by doctord02 »

Hi Rob, welcome.

I'd suggest a Celestion of some flavor. The standard 25 watt greenback in a 4x12 was the preferance of the Wreck's designer according to many accounts. I personally like G12H30's in a closed back 2x12, as it has a stronger bass presence, and Wrecks can seem light in the bass because of all their top end.

I'd also highly reccomend speakers marketed by Jim Seavall (aka Scumbag); Jim took the best examples of several desirable and hard to fine vintage Celestions and worked with Ted Weber to recreate them. Jim is the only distributor and he's online at: http://www.southbayampworks.com/

I own several of Jims speakers; his 65 watt version of a G12H30 available on his site was created at my request, so I can run my Wreck into a single 12 cabinet. I know at various times you have owned several nice Marshall cabs, so it you still do, try your Wreck inspired amp with one of them first. BTW, what amp did you aquire if you dont mind telling?

Dave
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

You don't find the wreck too bright for the scumback G12H30s? Is that the 55 or 75?

So, you're the one to thank? I've got two of his 65 watters (8 ohm-75s) for a conservatively-rated 50 watt marshall-type amp. Thanks you!
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

Thanks guys for the input.
Dave, the only Marshall cab I own at the moment is this '70 basketweave model 1988 which is being converted to 2x12 for my new amp. The last 4x12 I owned was a '70 basketweave with 25w pre-rolas and was probably the best 4x12 I've ever heard. I doubt that any 4x12 could sound better than that one, but alas, I sold it. I don't want to lug 4x12's around anymore, I did my back in carrying that cab up some stairs on my own.
So......The amp I have bought is.........a Fuchs Train 45. I've had lots of success with Andy's amps, we've been talking to each other for about 6 years now and this will be my fourth amp from him. All have been great amps and I feel confident in buying this amp. He always backs up his amps with great service, packs them indestructably for overseas shipping, does European voltage for no extra cost and is just always there to answer questions, about tubes, bias, speaker or whatever. It makes a difference to me.

I have no experience with Scumbag speakers but lots of experience with Webers. They must be nice if Ted has a hand in them. It's reassuring to hear that you like the G12H30's. I've always liked them from pre-rolas through grey backs and black backs, up to the modern ones. I have lined up a pair of British made 70th Anniversary G12H30's from a mate of mine, so I think I'll go ahead with those and see how it goes. Also good to hear that you like closed back cabs, it means I can try the stock panel before I make some open back ones.

Thanks again for the input.....I'll be back, you can count on it.

Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

gearhead wrote:You don't find the wreck too bright for the scumback G12H30s? Is that the 55 or 75?

So, you're the one to thank? I've got two of his 65 watters (8 ohm-75s) for a conservatively-rated 50 watt marshall-type amp. Thanks you!
Gearhead - I dont find the G12H30 to be a bright speaker per se, so no, I think it's perfect for the wreck. The 55h Heavy magnet version tempers the high end quite well in comparison with say a V30. I know it has plenty of treble available, but to me its more musically pleasing that the bright upper mid spike of the V30... Tho I do have one amp that sounds excellent thru V30's...

The Scumbag speakers I had Jim develop are the 55Hertz heavy magnet 65 watt versions of his 55H G12H30 clones. I dont have any of the 75 H speakers so they may be way brighter... Basically I asked him to take his standard 55H speaker and make it with a high power voice coil. I believe the 75H speakers were of Jim's own doing to recreate the fabled G12-65.

Rob, I bet you'll enjoy the 70th Anniversary Celestions just fine - I have a pair of 2x12's loaded with them, and they have beeen my main gigging cabs for quite a while... At anyrate, it's hard to beat a Celestion as your starting point for a rock lead tone... And yes, I prefer a closed back cab. Gotta get the grunt/thump...

BTW, I believe we have a mutual aquaintance - Don Butler. He did all my amp 'tweeking' when I lived in Los Angeles...

Dave
908ssp

Post by 908ssp »

I have tried all the speakers discussed so far and concur with the doc. I think Scumbag SA12H30-55 work great but I imagine you can get a pretty good deal on the Heritage G12H30 so I would try those in your 2x12. Another speaker that works really well actually sound killer with the Express is the Tone Tubby but they are very expensive and probably a pain to get in England. Mine are the current H1e formula Alnico hemp cone. They sound a lot like my G12H30-55hz pre-rolas only smoother and a bit warmer.
Alex
TheCageWreck and Glaswerks SOD100
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

doctord02 wrote:
gearhead wrote:
Rob, I bet you'll enjoy the 70th Anniversary Celestions just fine - I have a pair of 2x12's loaded with them, and they have beeen my main gigging cabs for quite a while... At anyrate, it's hard to beat a Celestion as your starting point for a rock lead tone... And yes, I prefer a closed back cab. Gotta get the grunt/thump...

BTW, I believe we have a mutual aquaintance - Don Butler. He did all my amp 'tweeking' when I lived in Los Angeles...

Dave
Hi Dave, I'll be going with the G12H30's and see how I get on. I'll post pics of the cab when it's done, it's going to be pretty cool.

Don and I go back a few years now. We started talking maybe 8 to 10 years ago when he bought some KT66's off me. He and his partner have been over to visit a few times, stayed here, dinner with the family, the whole bit. We've toured the gear shops and jammed together at musicians night in a local bar. We have lots of friends in common I think, and we've introduced each other to lots of people. Don is a genuine guy with a passion about his music, and he's no slouch when it comes to playing the guitar either. He's had some bargains out of us too, check out his '71 Marshall and the '63 AC30.....

Alex, a freind of mine has some Tone Tubby's and I think they are for sale. The general opinion is that they were a bit dark and and bit underpowered. Admittedly, they've been used with 100w Dumble style amps, so maybe they did flub out a bit. If I can get a chance to try them I will.

Cheers,
Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
Blues Hound

Post by Blues Hound »

Anyone tried four ten's with their wrecks?
jblues

Post by jblues »

the weber version of the celestion 56hrz instead of the 33hrs is what i went with in my small box marshal 1987 clone they are what hendrix had in his cabinets they are technically a bass speaker but the fender bassman is for bass too which marshall coppied ...they sound incredible. like the scumbags but cheaper really huge sound.
gnugear

Post by gnugear »

I've got cabs with real G12M greenbacks, blackback 55hz G12H30, and blackback 55hz G12Ms.

The wreck sounds great with all of them but I prefer the original greenbacks because they're a little warmer, smoother, and seem more touch sensitive. Not sure if it's a lead cone vs. bass cone thing but that's what I'm hearing.