Hammond TW style chassis

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

joebob

Re: Hammond TW style chassis

Post by joebob »

No Affliation:

This guy sells some nice looking chassis' on E-bay, they are .090" thick. He probably does custom sizes too.

http://stores.ebay.com/Allison-Machinery-Co

Dave
Instructions...I don't need no stinkin instructions
M Fowler

chassis

Post by M Fowler »

Well as I expected the quote from Hammond is:

17 x 8 x 2 0.064 ga $75.59 each

17 x 8 cover 0.064 ga $13.42 each

Minimum 25 each so they are very high priced and I am not a dealer nor want to be so I think I will scratch this idea and make or pickup a brake to try bend up my own chassis.

Mark
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

I've tried to stay out of this one since I sell chassis and my opinion might come across a little self-serving but, here goes....

Don't waste your time chasing hammond chassis. I have made TW's with Bud chassis and mine. In fact Glenn, got his Buds from me. There is no difference...at least positive ones. TW's come with a cut off broom handle installed between the trannys to stop them from falling in on each other. The other thing is, no one uses the proper bottom plates (that I've seen). I use the Bud BPA-1520 with 4 embossed feet on the bottom. Those feet get drilled out and nutserts get installed in them. That is the proper mounting solution. Any difference in the chassis between mine and the Bud chassis is negated by using the wrong bottom plate and mounting system IMO. Mine are made as copies of the Bud chassis except thicker and welded for strength.

Allyn
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Yea, what he said :)
da Geezer

chassis

Post by da Geezer »

I've tried to stay out of this one since I sell chassis
Allyn, where do you sell them? I've looked at your store & don't see them....can you direct me? Thx, Geez'r
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Just PM him. He sells them directly.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks Allyn

Allyn your chassis are the same as the Bud? That I did not know or I would have stopped this insame shopping list a long time ago. Since I own one of yours already I know that your chassis is very good. Why didn't you stop me at my first post, that would have save me some time.

I didn't think they were the same because yours are so well built and I expected the Bud AC-425 to look quite different on the folded edges, how do I say, crappier!

Next time I runoff aimlessly on a post you guys better straighten me out okay!

Mark
Last edited by M Fowler on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Allyn offers a great heavy duty chassis for a very fair price. It also has the big holes cut so it will save you a ton of time and trouble.

This is the exact original part KF used, plus he used the bottom plate which has about 16 screws holding it on. Yes, without the bottom plate (not shown here) and dowels in place it will flex a bit. However with the dowels (and one long bolt inside from top to bottom sandwiching in the internal dowel and one dowel between the OT & PT) and bottom plate installed it's actually quite strong. Not saying it's anywhere near as heavy duty as more modern alternative, but I've not had any issues with my original amps. The problem is when one uses a thin chassis with no reinforcement, like original JTM45s or 18 watters...

Yep the AC-425 is cheap and thin, albiet the real deal.

[img:900:600]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/ ... AC-425.jpg[/img]
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Glen and Allyn I still would like to have some blank chassis for non TW builds like bandmaster or tremolux build in a TW style head cab.

But on the other hand Allyn's chassis could also be used for those as well.

Mark
NowFender

"Yep the AC-425 is cheap and thin, albiet the real deal

Post by NowFender »

From watching an AnE program this bit of information from Eric Laithwaite who invented the "linear electric motor". He basically showed that aluminum, which isn't magnetic, but can be moved/levitated on a magnetic field very quickly. With no friction or interference like regular steel chassis Ken used aluminum bud chassis...the man had excellent ears and having used PAF's for years the small differences that makeup the "mojo" of stuff like the thickness or caps ect. all in some small percentage add up. My 2 cents.
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

Who or what is this "Bud" source you guys speak of?
NowFender

Post by NowFender »

"Who or what is this "Bud" source you guys speak of?"
http://www.budind.com/chassis.shtml
Bud is the manufacturer of the original chassis Ken used. .05" thick which is thinner than what's used now....09".
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Now days we do not use the thin Bud Industries AC425 chassis Glen K showed but use allynmey chassis or rjguitar chassis.