EL95 Blues Express Build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

flood

EL95 Blues Express Build

Post by flood »

Want: Express tone!
Do not want: Express volume levels!

I've been itching to do an express at some point of time, and that time is now. well, two weeks from now, I'd say, since I have someone waiting on another amp i'm in the middle off.

I've been buying tons of tubes, and one of the first lots I acquired was some 170-odd JAN 6SJ7s (which i still have no use for) and a whole bunch of weirdos. at some point of time, i chanced upon a pair of EL95s in that lot, and figured they'd come in handy for a low power (4W) push pull amp. i was initially thinking about using them in a mini-plexi for a customer, who finally decided that he couldn't use a tube amp yet... but even then i'd decided that ECL82s would do that job a lot better and were easier to replace as well.

i'm building this one using pretty much anything i have lying around - after the success of the first "from scraps amp", i'm now hell bent to use the same dogma with this one - buy nothing unless absolutely necessary. the power transformer on this one... is not. it's a 12V 2A back to back with a 12V 1A for the HT (the filaments consume a measly 600mA at 12V). the output transformer is a small EL84 push pull affair that i hope works in this circuit.

i might throw in a switch so that i can use 6AQ5s instead for a bit more power.

the cathodyne PI was lifted directly from http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/cathodyne.html.

so here's my schematic. i plan to start building in about 2 weeks... comments would be appreciated. thanks!

EDIT: ignore the pin numbering on the output tubes... i used the default EL84 symbol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.