express build thoughts/conclusions

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: express build thoughts/conclusions

Post by pompeiisneaks »

He's recorded an entire album using one of his dumbles he cloned. He's also a well respected member here with tons of posts and multiple builds under his belt. I'd spend a bit more time as a new user reading up on what people here know before second guessing them. That's my thoughts anyway. He's a professional musician that's also a great amp builder to boot.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Noobytube

Post by Noobytube »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:56 pm He's recorded an entire album using one of his dumbles he cloned. He's also a well respected member here with tons of posts and multiple builds under his belt. I'd spend a bit more time as a new user reading up on what people here know before second guessing them. That's my thoughts anyway. He's a professional musician that's also a great amp builder to boot.

~Phil
With all due respect, I’ve read on here for a decade! I just never felt the need to sign up or post until now when I’m considering to build one of these, I mean no disrespect to anyone, but we all know the internet is where hyperbole lives, and we all know how fleeting the acquisition of the great express tone is or we wouldn’t be here, he made a claim that his build was an equivalent to Glenn’s rig and then said he’d post samples, I just wanted to hear those samples as I’m not sure I’ve ever heard another amp sound as killer as Glenn’s, no I’ll intent on my part at all.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Noobytube wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:34 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:56 pm He's recorded an entire album using one of his dumbles he cloned. He's also a well respected member here with tons of posts and multiple builds under his belt. I'd spend a bit more time as a new user reading up on what people here know before second guessing them. That's my thoughts anyway. He's a professional musician that's also a great amp builder to boot.

~Phil
With all due respect, I’ve read on here for a decade! I just never felt the need to sign up or post until now when I’m considering to build one of these, I mean no disrespect to anyone, but we all know the internet is where hyperbole lives, and we all know how fleeting the acquisition of the great express tone is or we wouldn’t be here, he made a claim that his build was an equivalent to Glenn’s rig and then said he’d post samples, I just wanted to hear those samples as I’m not sure I’ve ever heard another amp sound as killer as Glenn’s, no I’ll intent on my part at all.
Oh, ok, I thought people that read here for more than a week would sign up to see all the pictures as they're gated behind registration. At any rate, I must have misunderstood the tone of your request.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Noobytube wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:34 pm

~Phil

no offence taken. I sold the amp shorlty after I built it. My main point was; I built a great 'classic' sounding express not follwing the hallowed layout/techniques/parts of Ken Fischer :D If the basic topology is follwed you'll get the vibe/sound of the amp. Bit like a recepie, we can both make spaghetti bolognese using slightly different variations of ingredients but someone eating them both would clearly know they were both spaghetti bolognese.

M
xtian

Post by xtian »

In the same theme, it is short sighted to think you cannot build a blackface amp without improving on Leo's lead dress.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Those double negatives are confusing! On the express, it's a very simple circuit and uses a Hi-Fi style OT. Polyester caps are de rigueur. If you operate it at the correct voltages, and have a layout that results in stable operation, you are pretty much there, IMO (of course!).
xtian

Post by xtian »

xtian wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:00 pm In the same theme, it is short sighted to think you cannot build a blackface amp without improving on Leo's lead dress.
Here, I'll fix it:

You CAN improve on Leo's lead dress!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com