Dusting Off Old VHS and Converting to DVD Clips

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rawnster

Re: Dusting Off Old VHS and Converting to DVD Clips

Post by rawnster »

wreckboy wrote:
geetarpicker wrote:Where's that Wrecks around the Christmas tree pic? :lol:
[IMG:799:532]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/ ... 0498-1.jpg[/img]

Merry Christmas
Man I love how you can plainly see the ampstumental aspects of the wreck on the top. Just above the bright switch and to the left. Cool stuff. :lol:
redshark

Post by redshark »

Question for Wreckboy and geetarpicker...when you guys front with a wah pedal using your express, do u get extra hiss from it? is it problematic? I mean if my guitar controls are around 3 for me to get a clean sound and decide to use the wah I get hiss almost the last 25% of the rocking motion to the treble side...is this normal? I notice that as I increase volume on my guitars this treble hiss becomes less disturbing. Does the bright switch on has something to do with it? Pls guys educate me on your experience!!

thanks
p.s. my wah is a teese picture wah
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

I don't consider an Express to be noisy compared to other amps when you consider the gain it has. I've done some comparisions in the studio and found it to actually be quieter than a fully dimed plexi, and the plexi has this extra noise while having less gain. For example to make a Plexi Marshall have as much gain you would probably need to fully dime all the knobs PLUS run a boost pedal. With that kind of gain anything in front of the amp other than the guitar get's tricky to use if it has any noise. Just about ANY active circuit pedal is going to add some noise. By nature wahs tend to be somewhat low fidelity devices that boost the high frequencies, which going into a high gain amp is a tricky combination. I tend to use my wah mainly when I'm already playing the guitar cranked, and I also have a picture wah. Adding any effect into an Express when the guitar is only on 3 is going to be questionable noise wise. I love a wet dry rig for an Express for these reasons, but that just isn't workable with a wah. Perhaps one could mod a wah to lower it's noise a tad, but that probably will change the tone of it slightly but it might be worth a try. Another thing worth mentioning is in a band situation you may not notice the noise during a song nearly as much as at home playing the guitar by itself. In context with a band you can get away with more. I used my picture wah on the last track on this myspace page, albiet it's a fully cranked up solo section using the full bright switch. This is one of the bands I play with mainly doing covers, the track with the wah the last one in the media player: www.myspace.com/gksrevenge
redshark

Post by redshark »

thanks Glen!! yes you are right, I tried to adjust the treble side of the wah pot but if it's true that reduces the treble hiss a little is also true that it doesn't sound as good because it looses the sweet spot.
I just wanted to know if this is normal with the express, I'm just getting to know the amp.
As I said before when the wah is switched on with the guitar volume controls dimed is harder to listen to that treble hiss and as you mentioned probably with a loud band nobody will notice the hiss, even if the guitar controls are backed to 3-5.
I plan my pedal board with the express to be reduced just to a tuner and wah and using batteries to avoid noise.
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Sorry to get this thread off topic a bit. However here is a tuner I really like with the Express, the ST-200 Turbo Tuner. It's true bypass, so no noise issues. I play in several bands using different rigs with each, plus pedal boards and such. However when I use my Wreck or Wreck clones this is the only pedal I typically have inline. Also of mention these tuners are very easy on batteries so that helps on a power supply free board.

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/
Richie

Post by Richie »

here is a express clone used in a song that has some wah, it was cranked pretty good.

sorry i have to break the song into parts since i can't upload all at once here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks Richie that was great and I am a big fan of the Hammond B3 sound so double pleasure with this post. Great sounding Wreck.

Mark
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Richie wrote:here is a express clone used in a song that has some wah, it was cranked pretty good.

sorry i have to break the song into parts since i can't upload all at once here.
Richie - That is a great tune and some great playing. Can you lead us to the source? I would probably buy the album if it's available.

thanks,

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Richie

Post by Richie »

http://www.myspace.com/budcarroll

Send Bud a message over on the link, and i'm sure he'll send you one.
There are some other clips there too of a few songs,almost all of them have the Wreck in it somewhere. I think the CD has 11 songs on it.
sst4270

Bud Carrol

Post by sst4270 »

I recorded Bud at a small music festival in Northern PA a couple of years ago (Wheeliefest).
He wasn't using a wreck then, but he had a great sound. He was using a borrowed Quidley head and cab combination from Justin Fox of Medusa Stone that day. Attached photos.

He impressed me for being so young (at the time I think 18ish).

I can post clips if there's any interest.

Steve

PS Check out the drummer smoking while playing!!!

Sorry for getting off topic :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.