A3801 value?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blackburn

Re: A3801 value?

Post by Blackburn »

Hey Hogy, thanks for chiming in! Cool TW info. Ken was quite the rascal as I understand.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I'm afraid I have to agree with Andy, I've been here since the early days and worked out many things from pictures and I certainly don't remember this many experts available to assist. It would have been of GREAT assistance all those years ago. :lol:

Perhaps you guys could comment on this thread so plans could be made to build the Ampeg cab for the Express and Liverpool amps. It really died on the vine.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... eg&start=0
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Mark wrote:I'm afraid I have to agree with Andy, I've been here since the early days and worked out many things from pictures and I certainly don't remember this many experts available to assist. It would have been of GREAT assistance all those years ago. :lol:

Perhaps you guys could comment on this thread so plans could be made to build the Ampeg cab for the Express and Liverpool amps. It really died on the vine.

If you're talking about the V4 cab, I could take all the measurements off mine if you want. Mine's a mid seventies, Magnatone era and is pretty fantastic. I posted some pics of my restoration here:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ight=ampeg

For the price of these vs Marshalls, these definitely win. The Marshalls may look a little bit more sexy, but I personally prefer a straight cab with blue grill cloth. :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Blackburn

Your cab looks good, what I'm looking for is enough info to come up with something like this.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/files/headcab.pdf

Where one could build the cab from scratch. I worked with Matt to get this together.

I'd like to see the last significant part of the puzzle completed before all the cork sniffing starts. I think it is wise to have all the building blocks in place before you can examine all facets. The speakers and cab is significant to the end result.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Mark wrote:I'm afraid I have to agree with Andy, I've been here since the early days and worked out many things from pictures and I certainly don't remember this many experts available to assist. It would have been of GREAT assistance all those years ago. :lol:

It's still cheaper to buy a used V4 cab than buy the material to build one.
The link thread looks pretty complete... Just more personal speaker choices. Which is fully subjective to personal taste. Not really sure what more you are after. A paint by numbers speaker box plan for the V4 is floating around the World Wide Web. I've come across it a few times but again cost to build verse built with free speakers left little desire to turn the saw on.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
redshark

Post by redshark »

Mark is in Australia. Maybe over there V-4 cabs are not as easy to find. I posted an ad on craigslist "WTB empty V-4 cab" and paid 60 bucks for it. There was a second guy willing to sell for 75. :) so I rathered pay 60
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

selloutrr wrote:

It's still cheaper to buy a used V4 cab than buy the material to build one.
The link thread looks pretty complete... Just more personal speaker choices. Which is fully subjective to personal taste. Not really sure what more you are after. A paint by numbers speaker box plan for the V4 is floating around the World Wide Web. I've come across it a few times but again cost to build verse built with free speakers left little desire to turn the saw on.
I have to agree. By the time all is said and done, you'll likely be in the hole closer to 5 bills. I got mine for $250 after shipping... Shipping was $100. They were asking so little because it was missing 2 speakers and looked like complete shit. If you happen upon one locally, even better for you because these suckers are heavy. Not to put down your carpentry skills, which I know nothing of, but it's best to leave it to original Ampeg or Magnatone to have done their pro job and find one used. Believe me, you'd be hard pressed to find someone that will do as good of a job... And if you do, that's definitely costing more than an old one. I mean, to survive the hell mine went through, and come out completely in tact, that's amazing. :D
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

redshark wrote:Mark is in Australia. Maybe over there V-4 cabs are not as easy to find. I posted an ad on craigslist "WTB empty V-4 cab" and paid 60 bucks for it. There was a second guy willing to sell for 75. :) so I rathered pay 60
You know what, I completely overlooked that. I wish you luck in finding one! If you do build one, post pics!
redshark

Post by redshark »

I already bought one.

pics are there, as I said I paid 60.

I actually spent more on the speakers. I bought 4 weber G1225 with pre-rola doping. Those speakers are awesome!! I A/B'd the cab against a marshall 60's with pre-rola and it didn't sound that diferent.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

redshark wrote:I already bought one.

pics are there, as I said I paid 60.

I actually spent more on the speakers. I bought 4 weber G1225 with pre-rola doping. Those speakers are awesome!! I A/B'd the cab against a marshall 60's with pre-rola and it didn't sound that diferent.
I meant Mark.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Shipping is the killer here. Based on previous experience I would imagine the cost of freight to be several hundred dollars if fact the cost of having one made would be competitive.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EB-2-x-12-gu ... 500wt_1149

There are plenty of Marshall cabs around as they are so popular, but old Ampeg stuff is relatively rare.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I will tell you this that I'm staying away from Heyboer TW iron my track record with their buzzing PT has to be due to ramping up production because they sure didn't have that problem before.

I like Allyn's Pacific set, Edcor, rj's Pacific iron and old audio equipment iron.

Mark
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

M Fowler wrote:I will tell you this that I'm staying away from Heyboer TW iron my track record with their buzzing PT has to be due to ramping up production because they sure didn't have that problem before.

I like Allyn's Pacific set, Edcor, rj's Pacific iron and old audio equipment iron.

Mark
Have you ever used any old Motorola PTs? I bought a huge radio that's probably from the 40's in horrible disarray, so I gutted what I could. I need to send it Mercury and have them test and re lead it. I'll post pics and maybe someone can help out.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The last Motorola amp I used the whole amp just added a 1/4 input jack and 1/4 speaker jack. It was basically a PTP Deluxe PP-6V6's.

No reason not to use old iron. :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mark what was the nature of the noisiness from the Heyboers?

Was it mechanical?

Getting away from the transformers and to the speaker boxes..

As shown, if I had a plan I could get these guys to build it for me, though I'm sure there are others who could do it at a similar price in Australia.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott