New Trainwreck Inspired 2 channel amp

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bnwitt

Re: New Trainwreck Inspired 2 channel amp

Post by bnwitt »

Dana, you sent me a bunch of pictures on this amp some time back. I lost all of them when my hard drive failed. I am back to drawing the layout and it would be great if I could get the pics again.
thanks,
Barry
Great things happen in a vacuum
UR12

Post by UR12 »

bnwitt wrote:Dana, you sent me a bunch of pictures on this amp some time back. I lost all of them when my hard drive failed. I am back to drawing the layout and it would be great if I could get the pics again.
thanks,
Barry
Barry

I will dig them out and/or resend the original email. I may have some new pics also with the same layout but with the new PCBs installed.

One of my friends I jam with on Sundays has bought the amp so it appears I will have to build another. :D It will probably be a couple of months before I get around to it, so maybe I can take a few additional pics of that build too or if your layout is done by then I can test it by using it to build the next one.

Thanks!
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Are there any news in this ......??? I'm quite interested in building one.
Alt. I could be interested in trying a layout myself, if I had the relevant pictures / info.....
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Aurora wrote:Are there any news in this ......??? I'm quite interested in building one.
Alt. I could be interested in trying a layout myself, if I had the relevant pictures / info.....
The amp has gone through a lot of changes from my first post here and what it is now. I sold the amp to a friend of mine who just happened to leave it at my house last weekend as we have been jamming on Sundays in my basement practice room. 8) I will try and take some better pics of the amp now that I have it back in my possession for the present time. I am also seriously thinking of starting on a 4 6v6 version of the amp that should sound more like an Express/Rocket. I have another build in the que and I am trying to wrap the Little Devil build along with a Neovibe pedal so I am burning the candle at both ends at the moment. It has been a lot of fun hearing the amp in a live band situation. It simply kicks ass. Last week we tried a bunch of pedals through the amp and I found it interesting that the owner found that he liked a Geekmacdaddy, British Ball Breaker on the Rocket channel and a Geek Driver better on the Liverpool channel. If you are a pedal freak then I would highly recomend trying either of these two pedals on the TW style amps. (www.geekmacdaddy.com) The present owner just loves the amp and I will try and talk him into doing some clips if we are able to get together this weekend. I'll see if I can get the new pics posted this evening.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

(server error) Double post
Paul86

Post by Paul86 »

Dana,
I'd like to have a peek too, but I can't visualize the pics. Did you post them in this thread?
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Here are a few photos from different angles within the amp. The green PCB boards are for the channel switching control and for Variable B+ control. I can supply these in limited quantities for anyone who wants them. The other smaller PCB boards are hand made prototypes. I used perf beoard on this amp, since it was first one made, so I could make modifications easier and quicker. Any board material should work just fine. Channel switching is controled by a logic board switching Mosfet switches it grounds the grid of the preamp tubes to turn the channel off/on and it also controls the channel indicator LEDs on the front panel. In addition to that the control board switches the NFB circuitry and the Hi cut circuitry in and out for their corresponding channels.

The amp also uses a stock set of Heyboer TW Trannies (From Moose) It is running a 5.2k primary on the OT You can read about it's operation at the beginning of this thread. The chassis is 7"x 22"x 2.5". I'll try and answer any questions anyone may have. Most values are normal Rocket or Liverpool values. There are a couple of component value changes in the PI and additional caps and grid resistors have been included into the design to make the Variable Voltage control more at home. This amp has it designed in and not just modded. Look for the 1m ohm grid resistors on the tube sockets and the .1uf Mallary 150s on the preamp board. These are there to accomodate the VVR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Here are a few more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Thanks alot, Dana
Your generosity, - and several others for that matter, is highly appreciated at these fora, most certainly among most of the members.
Just a question..
Are these pictures corresponding with the schematic presented earlier - except maybe for the channel switching, which were changed to solid state?

Hopefully I'll be able to do some serious paperwork during november, where I'll spend a month or so working up north ( 79 N !) - with nothing special to do during evenings and late afternoons....
Full Internet acccess at 79 N ! - Not bad............??? :D
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Yes it is the same as the schematic posted except for the chanel switching.
roberto

Post by roberto »

Hi Dana,
small E-caps are Os-con? How they sound as cathode bypass?
UR12

Post by UR12 »

roberto wrote:Hi Dana,
small E-caps are Os-con? How they sound as cathode bypass?
Yes, those are the Os-cons. Jeremy from Toneshop (lastwinj) sent me a few of these to try and they work great. They have a very low ESR and seem to help quiet some of the hiss. Acording to Sanyo's website these caps were designed for exactly this application.
roberto

Post by roberto »

Yes, they are great but I've never used them as Ck. A friend of mine works on magnetic resonance and suggested me to use them as low voltage filter caps (they need very low ripple on supply). I will try them also in signal path. Thanks!
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Hi...are anybody doing something along these lines?

I though I could get started making a layout around X-mas, but work got in my way. Real pity that one has to work ? Right ? :wink:

Building an amp for my son, we started looking around for something special, and this popped up. I have most of the parts, lacking only transformers and output tubes, but a national supplier have all I need at acceptable prices. I do have some question, though, before I commit myself.

As far as I can see, this is a Liverpool, with a Rocket preamp and cut control added, but this does away with the choke from the Rocket. Any opinions on the effect for the Rocket tone?

I have cut the metal for a chassis, with some oversize compared to a standard wreck. If I go for this version, I'll build the published version first, but looking ahead, where would you insert an effects loop?
Is adding reverb concidered T-wreck sacrilege?

I do notice some regard Trainwrecks extra high gain amps. I have some minor trouble seeing them being higher gain than average, except maybe for the Express. How about a combo version? Anyone else built combo Rockets or Liverpools? Or is the one-box combo advantage overrated vs. a head and speaker setup?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

There are about three or four Express/other combo amps built if not more about January 2009 I think.

Also what happened to Barry's layout?

Mark

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6970

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=15