Out of stock on trannies for a week and a half

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Moose

Out of stock on trannies for a week and a half

Post by Moose »

Ok -- all y'all took every transformer I had. Even the ones I got for myself.

I'm going to order another round, but it'll take up to two weeks, they might be able to get them to me quicker. I'll try to keep them in stock from now on, but the rate at which the floodgates opened was kind of surprising. I was scrambling for packaging, in fact, as a few of the recipients will find out soon enough.

If anyone's interested, drop me a note from the Order your tranformers link on http://toneslut.com/transformers and I'll email you when the next batch arrives.

Now, if I can just figure out proper boxes before then...
PeteRH

Re: Out of stock on trannies for a week and a half

Post by PeteRH »

The easy way out is to get Phil to wrap and box them individually or in sets.....makes being a middle man easier. I have bought a few singles direct from him and the packing quality matched the tranny quality. Some people have stated that the packing foam is abrasive but mine didn't suffer any damage or wear.

On another note have you looked into winding the power tranny with twin primaries so they can be run on 120 or 240 volts? It may cost a $ more but you should pick up some os sales.

Cheers
PeteRH
russoloco

Post by russoloco »

Are you willing to sell the OT by itself and for how much? By the way are you still playing with anodizing at all?
Moose

Post by Moose »

Thanks for the idea of 240V primaries, but I really don't want to do overseas sales. I'm not making actually money on this deal, and I just want to make stock available at a reasonable cost. Shipping overseas is a PITA. These bad boys are nearly 15 Lbs a set and if I use Fedex or UPS they have a habit of billing the end customer a hefty duty and all the VAT where appropriate.

I will sell the PT or OT separately. Call it $75 plus shipping.

As for the anodizing, yeah, I occasionally fire up the battery charger. My actual paying work has kept me insanely busy for the last year, though, so I haven't really done much, but I still have a gallon of battery acid and several cans of drain cleaner if I get the urge. :)
russoloco

Post by russoloco »

$75 will be sent your way as soon as you get the stock back in. Haven't seen you around ax84 in a long time but you gotta put that soldering iron down sometime otherwise why the hell are we building these things?
Moose

Post by Moose »

I'll leave a note here when they're back in stock.

Yeah, I haven't read AX84 for a long time. Turned into a not-fun community for me and I got burned out. I read here a couple times a week, maybe lurk in a forum or two every other week (5E3, 18watt, weber), but that's about it.

I agree we should put the iron down now and again. I've actually been playing more, and recording some. Weren't most of us guitarists, first?
doctord02

Props to Moose (Chris)

Post by doctord02 »

Hey guys, a big nod of thanks to Chris on the trannies; FedEx was a tad rough with my set and dinged them up a bit - but Chris is real stand up guy and and replaced them no questions asked. In the end, I'm sure he is losing money on me...

Lets make sure he makes this venture worth while, eh? Customer service like that is worth it's weight in, uh big iron transformers.

:D

Dave
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Got mine the other day. They look great and no problems with FedEx. At least not this week.

I'll be bending up my chassis on saturday hopefully.

Greg
Mark

Post by Mark »

The whole idea of dual primaries is a great one. I suppose some mug has to ask the inevitable question. Does it have any effect on tone?

Has anyone built an amp with these transformers and when are the recordings coming? :wink:
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Hi Chris, I've been trying to e-mail you about ordering a set of trannys for a week. Maybe I don't have the right address. Could you email me and let me know when you expect the trannys in and how much? Thanks

Allynmey

allynmey at aol dot com
Moose

Post by Moose »

Mark wrote:The whole idea of dual primaries is a great one. I suppose some mug has to ask the inevitable question. Does it have any effect on tone?

Has anyone built an amp with these transformers and when are the recordings coming? :wink:

I sure haven't built anything nor recorded it, but I'm going to say that, yes, it probably affects the tone. Hell, EVERYTHING affects the tone. But tapping a transformer is one of those .01% things whereas tranny impedance is a 2% thing and cap values are a 5% thing and slope resistors are a 5% thing and types of output tubes are a 10% thing... you know? Besides, I couldn't, nor would I want to, repeat the layout spaghetti that is my first wreck, if for no better reason than it's been experimented on so much I don't even know what's in there anymore!

I'll opine that the extra tap's miniscule effect is along the lines of whether it's better to do a 16ohm tap and use the whole winding than a 4 ohm load with less. Hifi dorks sometimes claim using the whole winding is VITAL to the utter perfection they think they want, but I've experimented with both. I can't hear a lick of difference in a guitar amp.

You're going to hear a lot more difference based on the drivers you choose for your speaker cabinet. Or WHICH primary you choose for the appropriate secondary. Or which voltage you choose for the power tranny. Or which power tubes you use and how you bias them. But I repeat myself...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dear Moose

Thanks for the reply. I thought it best to ask the question and see what sort of feedback I get.

If nothing else I'd get a lot of feedback on the issue of 5K versus 6.6K. I do hope you understand I wasn't implying anything negative. It is an oportunity to get some feedback from experimentation.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Moose

Post by Moose »

I don't see anything negative at all. My point is merely one of persepctive.

You see, I'm an experimenter. I build an amp here, an amp there, and on occasion I will do a lot of mods until I learn what's happening. This transformer suits my ideal because the benefit of versatility significantly outweighs the possible detriment of an extra tap.

In a production environment, if I were buying 50 or 100 sets at a pop and building all the same thing, I would probably experiment until I decided what was most consistently what I liked and only get a single tap primary, but I would still stick with a multi-tap secondary because the versatility it provides the end customer (almost any cabinet they own will work) significantly outweighs the minor differences one might get from one tap to the next.

I think we wrestle with similar quandries about most components, especially as we get more discerning. I pay more for Atoms in my power supplies, use clarostat pots, sometimes even spill for Sozo caps, though I do like the AES and Weber's yellow caps! All choices are the result of raising the same sort of questions and making the tradeoff based on my requirements.