Best-sounding Wreck version...

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

BTF

Best-sounding Wreck version...

Post by BTF »

As a Trainwreck neophyte, may I ask:

Of the three Wrecks, the Express, Liverpool and Rocket, which is generally considered the best-sounding. I know taste is subjective, but one of the three versions must be preferred.

many thanks, BTF.
FYL

Re: Best-sounding Wreck version...

Post by FYL »

There is *no* absolute best; there can be a personal best depending on your playing style, gear, bias and mood.

Express: big bold upfront sound cutting thru the mix for stage apps, sounds really nicely in studio with a suitable attenuator. Doesn't like most pedals or amateur players - you control an Express from the guitar, not the front panel. There's surprisingly little difference between EL34's and 6V6GT's when it comes to touch sensitivity.

Liverpool 30: more compressed and more chimey than the Express. Was designed for single coils but can give excellent results with other pups. Less touch sensitivity than the Express, smaller stage sound - IMO should be used in stereo or suitably miked, really nice in the studio with a small amount of pedal gain and a vintage Strat.

Liverpool Rocket: a Vox AC30 Top Boost à la Ken Fisher, with much better everything, from dynamics - micro and macro - to reliability. Easiest to clone (there were reportedly only six Rocket's built, so everyone is basing his experience on a clone), even approximative builds can sound AOK while top notch versions can be outstanding. Easier to play and mate, too.
BTF

Post by BTF »

Much thanks, FYL.

I'm left wondering: is there a particular song or piece of music where one can say, "Ahh...there is the definitive Trainwreck sound!"?

We all look to the Beano album for great Marshall tones, Dick Dale is one prime exemplar of the pre-Blackface Fender sound, there's tonnes of great Fender and Marshall tones, and Santana is, I suppose, the prime exponent of the heyday of Mesa Boogie. I'd imagine Robin Ford is the Dumble priest, though I unfortunately know little of his work.

Who is a major proponent of the Trainwreck sound?

Regards, BTF.
FYL

Post by FYL »

Who is a major proponent of the Trainwreck sound?
I would say Glen Kuykendall, aka Geetarpicker here.

http://www.glenkuykendall.com/
BTF

Post by BTF »

Heavens! Did some of those videos take me back to the 80's! :lol: I was an amplifier and musical instrument service tech during the 80's. I had a pair of those tapered pants, but never got around to the hairstyles...

Mr. Kuykendall has quite a good sound. I believe that's the only time I've heard a 'Wreck unless I heard one unawares on some song. I need to peruse YouTube more. Thank you for the link.

The interview with Fischer was very interesting- I had never seen a video of him until now. I've read several of his reviews and his technical papers over the years. Back in the mid-80's I even modded my AA864 Bassman's Bass channel with a preamp mod suggested by him and also adapted his presence mod for Blackface amps to its bright switch (this was before the 864 acquired its current hallowed status ). What's amusing is that when people used to try the amp, they tended to favor the Fischer side of the amp over the stock. He seemed very generous and one of the few "gurus" who offered truly usable ideas. What a shame at his passing.

Thank you (and Mr. Kuykendall) for the information. I enjoyed it greatly.

Regards, BTF.
rbryerton

Post by rbryerton »

BTF, Glen has got a CD available for purchase on eBay. It is called "Can You Hear it Ring?" and it is outstanding. It really showcases the Express and of course Glens killer chops :).

Highly recommended.
Rob
Richie

Post by Richie »

BTF

Post by BTF »

For years I have never given thought to Trainwrecks, to be honest. I knew of Mr. Fischer, but not really of his amplifiers. Recently, a young man called me out of the blue about an amplifier he saw being used by Brad Paisley. When he described it as looking like a wooden box, I figured it might be a 'Wreck. He's become obsessed about this amp, and I've referred him to this site. I'll also recommend Mr. K's CD.

Thanks to you all for your help. I'm going to take another look at Francesca and see what all the fuss is about. :D

Thanks, BTF.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Should be some picks of Brads amp, the one is a Liverpool. which you'd think Brad might have liked the Rocket a bit more for his style.
should be some liverpool clips here too, the one amp Glen was playing in the interview was a liverpool.
BTF

Post by BTF »

Ahh, I believe we've conversed before on the Hoffman website, Ritchie! Nice to speak with you again! :D

I know nothing about Brad Paisley other than the Paisley Tele (which I associated more with James Burton-shows you what a fuddy duddy I am!). I know he used a couple of Voxes on commercials, but that's the extent of my Paisley knowledge. This fellow who is so interested in the 'Wreck actually called me and had me watching a Paisley duet with Taylor Swift (I think I have her name correct) in hopes that I might be able to tell him more about the amp! :lol: For a British Rock fan it was painful indeed. What I do to help a guy out!

Thanks again, Bill.
strat_addict

Post by strat_addict »

I'm assuming this is the Express (clone or real?), right?
Richie

Post by Richie »

strat_addict wrote:
I'm assuming this is the Express (clone or real?), right?
No thats a real Rocket.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Brad Paisley also has in wood cabinet form an older Zwreck and a new Zwreck that Mike Zaite (DrZ) may or may not release as a production model. He hasn't decided if he is going to release the amp designed by him and Ken F.
BTF

Post by BTF »

It was my understanding from another forum that the amp this fellow has been hearing is the Z-Wreck. It's all a bit confusing at times. Since I've been researching the Wrecks it seems Z made a few, Thunderfunk made a few, and Ken made less than 100, I believe. I've looked at the pictures of Francesca. The build quality seems very good. If this fellow starts off on Dumbles, I'm quitting! :lol:

Thanks all, BTF.
Lousyatit

Post by Lousyatit »

Richie wrote:Should be some picks of Brads amp, the one is a Liverpool. which you'd think Brad might have liked the Rocket a bit more for his style.
should be some liverpool clips here too, the one amp Glen was playing in the interview was a liverpool.
BP also has a Rocket.