Xits X10 = liverpool half power?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Xits X10 = liverpool half power?

Post by Reeltarded »

On AC30s, the treble and cut oppose each other in a very kind (and I contend signature) way.

Boosting the treble makes the amp more uhhnky, and then cutting to taste brings perfection. They aren't redundant in a way I can imagine.

Just sayin'..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
pamaz67

Post by pamaz67 »

Reeltarded wrote:On AC30s, the treble and cut oppose each other in a very kind (and I contend signature) way.

Boosting the treble makes the amp more uhhnky, and then cutting to taste brings perfection. They aren't redundant in a way I can imagine.

Just sayin'..
That could be true if you have an ac30 with the same type of tranmsformer, layout etc and with blue alnicos that are generous in the high end.
I usually use loudspeakers that are more relaxed and with a smooth hi end (red white and blues as an example) so the hi cut in my case is automatic.
Ciao from Italy.
Paolo
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Oops! I was thinking "voltage divider" when I read "RC Filter." Sparked an interesting discussion nonetheless!
pamaz67

update.

Post by pamaz67 »

I'ìve tried swapping a little components in order to soften a little the character of the distortion, but nothin has been smooth enough for my tastes.
So I've tried the rc filter with a 250k pot and 4.7 nF and found a satisfactory setting with a pot value around 80 kohm.
I think that this value can be increased up to 100-120k with brighter speakers.
Ciao from Italy.
Paolo
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Seems Rhinson guessed that one dead on with 120k and 4n7...I used those values as well. Thanks for the report Paolo!
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

surfsup wrote:Seems Rhinson guessed that one dead on with 120k and 4n7...I used those values as well. Thanks for the report Paolo!
cool! i have built a LOT of stuff with the ac30 p.i. and cut over the yrs, so that was just an experienced guess. i plan on building one of these when i get the chance. to me it just looks like a rearrangement of the komet pre (with tone controls after the 2nd stage instead of fender/twreck fashion after the 1st) going into an vox styled p.i. another interesting way to knock back gain would be to use a plate split load (like the komet---and many other vintage amps) on any one of the stages---take your pick)----i may experiment with this when i get around to building one. rh
Gaz

Re: update.

Post by Gaz »

pamaz67 wrote:I'ìve tried swapping a little components in order to soften a little the character of the distortion, but nothin has been smooth enough for my tastes.
So I've tried the rc filter with a 250k pot and 4.7 nF and found a satisfactory setting with a pot value around 80 kohm.
Sorry, but don't you mean that the resistance could be decreased with brighter speakers? Since a cut control cancels out high frequencies by phase cancellation, wouldn't less resistance between both sides of the PI cancel out more gain in the high frequencies?
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

I may be wrong here but i think the formula is f=1/(6.3*R*C)

EDIT:

Since R is inverse, increasing R will cut at a slighly lower frequency (oops, PASSING more highs)...

80k is 425Hz cutoff
120k is 281Hz cutoff

But, since this is at the PI, there will be no second, third harmonics will there? So really you're just letting a little more low frequency through, the highs are in-effect, unaffected?
Last edited by surfsup on Tue May 10, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Masco

Re: update.

Post by Masco »

Gaz wrote:
pamaz67 wrote:I'ìve tried swapping a little components in order to soften a little the character of the distortion, but nothin has been smooth enough for my tastes.
Sorry, but don't you mean that the resistance could be decreased with brighter speakers? Since a cut control cancels out high frequencies by phase cancellation, wouldn't less resistance between both sides of the PI cancel out more gain in the high frequencies?
+1

I also think an adjustable cut control is essential. My 2 cents.
pamaz67

Post by pamaz67 »

surfsup wrote:I may be wrong here but i think the formula is f=1/(6.3*R*C)

EDIT:

Since R is inverse, increasing R will cut at a slighly lower frequency (oops, PASSING more highs)...

80k is 425Hz cutoff
120k is 281Hz cutoff

But, since this is at the PI, there will be no second, third harmonics will there? So really you're just letting a little more low frequency through, the highs are in-effect, unaffected?
sorry. You are perfectly right.
I was saying that just on a feeling because I've found that there is a spot on the pot ( linear, not log as in the original)) in which with a small rotation you get a lot of change in the cut.
So probably if in my amp it's fine around 80k, probably with a brighter speaker you'll go around 60k.
It was just a feeling and i was saying that just by thinking at the rotation, not looking at the values. But I mistook the "direction " of the change
Ciao from Italy.
Paolo
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

So, question for you experienced builders:

If I were to clone an X-10, is it typically possible to get these same transformers from MM that XITS uses? Or do they usually do some exclusive contract?
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

I think it was said, no, because it is a custom build for an OEM. But if we "knew" the PT/OT ratings, we can order the same ratings from somewhere else i.e. edcor.

Ultimately since the X10 has 1k5W Rs on the AC side, these PTs must be something like 400-0-400s IF the B+ is to be expected around 325V
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

surfsup wrote:I think it was said, no, because it is a custom build for an OEM. But if we "knew" the PT/OT ratings, we can order the same ratings from somewhere else i.e. edcor.

Ultimately since the X10 has 1k5W Rs on the AC side, these PTs must be something like 400-0-400s IF the B+ is to be expected around 325V
But, say if I had one on hand to measure...could I get the info I needed without pulling the transformers, or special tools or anything? I mean, I have a good DMM, that's about it.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

:wink: Of course. 8)

My point is with those 1k5Ws why spend the money on a heavier iron if we can go with a smaller one. Unless the X10 has achieved purist status in cloning like a 'wreck -gasp-
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Lonely Raven wrote:So, question for you experienced builders:

If I were to clone an X-10, is it typically possible to get these same transformers from MM that XITS uses? Or do they usually do some exclusive contract?
No, sorry, Mercury will not disclose information about or sell you transformers made for another builder.