Xits X10 = liverpool half power?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Lonely Raven

Re: Xits X10 = liverpool half power?

Post by Lonely Raven »

Colossal wrote:
Lonely Raven wrote:So, question for you experienced builders:

If I were to clone an X-10, is it typically possible to get these same transformers from MM that XITS uses? Or do they usually do some exclusive contract?
No, sorry, Mercury will not disclose information about or sell you transformers made for another builder.
No, that's perfect. I have respect for a company that sticks to their guns about stuff like that. I'll just have to suss it out myself and order a custom transformer from Edcor like Surf suggested.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
dave g

Post by dave g »

Edcor is great! But in all honesty I have yet to find an OT for 2x6V6 or 2xEL84 that I like as much as this one:

http://store.triodestore.com/z517wadyoutr.html

You really can't go wrong with Edcor, either - they make superb stuff!
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Dave so what do you look for in an OT if you haven't listened to one yet before buying?

This is pure curiosity. I ask because the triode is 8k, the edcor I have is 8k. The triode is 3x3.125x2.5 the edcor is 3.5x3.75x3.125. The triode has 4/8R taps, the edcor 4/6/8R taps.

What else beside hearing it (which is hard b4 owning)? I'm sure both are built well...
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

what happened the gut shot of the first version x10----the one made with just standard parts and not the high end resistors and mallory filter caps? rh
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

rhinson wrote:what happened the gut shot of the first version x10----the one made with just standard parts and not the high end resistors and mallory filter caps? rh
Rhinson, looks like the gutshots were taken off the Fat Sound site. I have the originals however but am hesitant to post (?). I can PM if desired.
dave g

Post by dave g »

surfsup wrote:Dave so what do you look for in an OT if you haven't listened to one yet before buying?

This is pure curiosity. I ask because the triode is 8k, the edcor I have is 8k. The triode is 3x3.125x2.5 the edcor is 3.5x3.75x3.125. The triode has 4/8R taps, the edcor 4/6/8R taps.

What else beside hearing it (which is hard b4 owning)? I'm sure both are built well...
Low frequency response is key to getting a "big" sound! The "wattage" that an xformer is rated for doesn't really tell you everything, because most transformers will pass more power with a reduced bandwidth. You have to look at the frequency response at the power level you're concerned with. For example, the Triode website claims that the Dynaclone Z565's response is -1dB at 20 Hz at 17.5 watts. But, if you pass 35 watts through the transformer, the -1dB point moves up to 30 Hz. Hi-fi iron typically has a better low frequency response than the transformers used in old fenders and marshalls (especially the smaller amplifiers like the 5E3, Bandmasters, etc). But physically larger transformers with more core material can handle more magnetic flux before saturating, and therefore offer improved low end response. Hence the saying, "big iron = big tone".

Some people really like the sound of output transformer saturation, especially in the non-MV marshall camp. Personally, I prefer a beefy low end!
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Same here, I'm a fan of old hifi iron ala Stancor when I can get it. Always sounds better than a weak transformer IMO. The saturated transformer sound paired with certain speakers (lower wattage speakers specifically) can give a very interesting sonic flavor but it's not the sound for me, I like a beefy output transformer and a high wattage, relatively flat (bandwidth-wise) speaker. Use guitars, tube selection, speaker choice and EQ's to flavor to taste..
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
DR.Z

Post by DR.Z »

[quote="Cliff Schecht"]Same here, I'm a fan of old hifi iron ala Stancor when I can get it. Always sounds better than a weak transformer IMO. The saturated transformer sound paired with certain speakers (lower wattage speakers specifically) can give a very interesting sonic flavor but it's not the sound for me, I like a beefy output transformer and a high wattage, relatively flat (bandwidth-wise) speaker. Use guitars, tube selection, speaker choice and EQ's to flavor to taste..[/quote]

+1000

DR.Z
pamaz67

Post by pamaz67 »

In my experience a small output tranformer gives ou always an uncontrolled farty bass range and the general feeling is of a "constipated" sound.
I always use large transformers. Much better for dynamics and the sound is always airy, but with a lot of richness in the mid range.
Ciao from Italy.
Paolo
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

Any idea where one could get some of the Chilewich material?

I wanna make a matching 2X12 for my X-10
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
angelodp

Here

Post by angelodp »

angelodp

layout

Post by angelodp »

Thanks to Surf and Colossal for all the heavy lifting. I worked out an initial layout that is pretty close, I believe, to the version 2 amp. I did diverge somewhat due to the type of OT & PT I will be using. I also included an internal fuse for the secondary line. I have a standard on/off & standby switch arrangement on the top of the amp. I went for a 120v light. I decided on a three star + 1 grounding scheme per Aiken. I realize that some components are up in the air as to what is actually in the amp, but this is a starting point for my build. Chassis is based on vertical application of an 18x8x2 type. Maybe we can do group build and get rj to do the chassis we want.

This clearly is a graphic representation, so that wire runs can be seen clearly ( errr... at least that was my intention) and proper lead dress has not been adhered to in some instances.

Please do let me know if you see any gaffs. Work in progress.

Ange

Removed - see below
Last edited by angelodp on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Ange, I have a 1n0 not a 10n for the first CC. Also, FYI I measured my plate voltage with 122VAC at the wall, a 300-0-300, and the two 330Rs and I get 326 on the plates. Just about perfect, though my screens are a touch high at 329. Going to experiment with a 1k5W from the filtercap to the two screen Rs to drop it a bit. Since I'm using the diodes and the preamp on a separate rail, it won't affect the preamp at all.
angelodp

Ver 1 layout

Post by angelodp »

Been trying to workout the Ver1 amp we saw on the first clip. I think this is fairly close. I am not duplicating the on/off or standby or light, rather i am using a standard configuration.

Updated 6/13

New corrections coming
Last edited by angelodp on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
soma_hero

Post by soma_hero »

you have the B4 node going to the 100k plate of V2A, but also going to ground. Oops