My Project Amp

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fishy

My Project Amp

Post by fishy »

I had posted a brief snippet on another thread some time ago but all of the recent post regarding rockets and versions of has finally gotten to me....
Some guys post some wicked builds. This is not one of those and truly is a project amp!

Originally, I was planning on a 2 hole rocket but then RJ had to go and build an octal based version :roll:
So I ended up with a 2 hole rocket with the 2xel84s or 2 octals.

This was also my first effort at actually doing something a little different and I can say that it brings a new level of appreciation for those who actually manage to come up with stuff in the first place.

Dana had perked my interest with his capcans and his Express so I decided to use one of these and pair it with distributed filtering for the preamp sections.
Grounds were revised and I also decided to play with the filament wiring and not twist the wires.
Biasing is via a 50ohm resistor in series with a rheostat. I decided to fuse the OT mainly because of the variable bias. A switch selects between the octal or 84s.

I included a bright switch and eventually included a cap to bypass the second stage for some additional gain.

The amp is very quite despite my messing around with it which is a relief!

Overall I am pleased with the result. I still need to actually finish it and get a cab for it but it makes some noise and all that have heard it have been complimentary....

I have include the PDF which is pretty much what I was going from. It is not 100% accurate but it may be of use to someone out there. I have the visio file also if anyine is interested.

The clip is a friend of mine who is far more capable than I with a guitar and had an hour or so with it. . It is all el84s but has a split coil and a humbucker on it. He wasn't too happy with it but it is still far better than I could do.
Hopefully I will get an octal based clip at some point in the future but do not hold your breath....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.