Ceriatone Expression Tranny's... What are they? + Mods?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cdc3jj

Ceriatone Expression Tranny's... What are they? + Mods?

Post by cdc3jj »

I'm thinking about (ok, raising the money) to get an expression kit from Nik. I'm off the road for a while and need a project to keep my idle hands from the devils work. But I can't see why I would pay nearly double to get their tranny's shipped over here (Nashville, TN). So, I'm wondering what transformers I need. I usually order from Weber, and I've heard the Heyborer's are fairly close to the Wreck's. Looking for the model so I can start pricing.

I also have read a few mod ideas from around the net. I've been reading about how loud these amps are, so I'm thinking about a 1/2 or 1/4 power switch (if that's possible). I know you can run Nik's on 6v6's so that will help some. I don't really want to do the whole MV thing because I know that steals heat from the tubes, and that seems to be the magic in these amps. I also read about someone doing a switchable choke to smooth out the drive a little. That might be interesting. I'm going to start digging around in the archives here.

Any help you could give would be great, especially that transformer info. Thanks
cdc3jj

Re: Ceriatone Expression Tranny's... What are they? + Mods?

Post by cdc3jj »

I have to stop listening to the TW clips on youtube and ceriatone. I keep changing my mind. The rocket and liverpull both sound rockin' too. I'm basically looking for a voxy-marshall bastard child that could cover modern country and classic rock (basically the same thing these days). But volume is an issue. I have a Weber mini-mass I could run it with. I'm covered on cleans and lighter overdrive with my twin or HRM clone. Looking for the down and dirty.
RevD

Post by RevD »

If your looking for a voxy sound in the trainwrecks you'd probably want a rocket or liverpool, don't think the express is going to be very voxy sounding at least to my ear they're not. Not to dissuade you from a train wreck, but have you looked at the ef86 36 watter marshall tmb type amps that Nick has? They're similar to like Gabriels Voxer and definitely more voxy sounding and get darn mean sounding, they're essentially based on the 18 watt marshall but with more gain and a TMB tone stack instead of the tremolo. On the 36 watter the VVR circuit is really nice, knocks the voltage down and you don't lose much tone. Just some other options to maybe explore? Good luck with whatever you decide, keep them hands busy! :D

Regards,

RD
cdc3jj

Post by cdc3jj »

I actually have a Maz 38, which I believe is similar to the 36 watt. I really don't care for ef86's because it's so hard to find a good one. I had a Dr. Z Stang Ray and had really awful experiences with the 86's so I'm hoping to stay away from them. (BTW when the tube was good, the ray was great. Best pedal amp I've ever heard, but when the tube was bad, it sounded like a fender acoustisonic or hi-fi stereo amp) The more I listen around I think I like the Liverpull for the voxy stuff and the Express for the Marshally tones. I'll probably go Liver since I have a box of rock on my pedal board that pretty well covers my marshall jones. But I sold my ac15 recently so I'm yerning for that Brad Paisley - Vox beauty once again. So... Same question, different amp... What transformers will I need to order for the ceriatone liverpull kit? Thanks
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I own a Z Stangray with original EF86 tube still going strong over 3 years straight in fact all the tubes are original and the amp was gigged for more than 2 years until I started using my own amps for gigs.

But to get to your question, your right, the Maz 38 is a great amp so you have that area covered. So to my ears that covers the Liverpool amp.

What you need for Vox tone is the AC30 which is the Rocket but instead of using the more usual 260-0-260 secondary of the HTS-5199 Heyboer tranny use the 300-0-300 secondary or do as many do and add a switch to go from 260v to 300v. The layout Nik has for the Ceriatone Rockit shows how to do that.

A Trainwreck Rocket is based off an Vox AC30.

Mark
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

cdc3jj wrote:I'm thinking about (ok, raising the money) to get an expression kit from Nik. I'm off the road for a while and need a project to keep my idle hands from the devils work. But I can't see why I would pay nearly double to get their tranny's shipped over here (Nashville, TN). So, I'm wondering what transformers I need. I usually order from Weber, and I've heard the Heyborer's are fairly close to the Wreck's. Looking for the model so I can start pricing.
O.k., I'm thinkin' that you should buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own.

Start with one of Allyn's excellent chassis.

Use Moose / Tonselut iron (Heyboer). Allen has extra trannies every so often, even Pacifics.

Just say JoeBob if I remember correctly for the turretboards.

In other words support your pals here. In other words don't be a douchebag and export more green Yankee dollars.
I believe in this and it's tested by research...
klauswilliams

Post by klauswilliams »

I'd also add don't do the 1/2 power switch route. I tried it on a Liverpool and it didn't have any effect on the volume level at all really. It changed the tone a bit, but it won't suite you if you're looking for lower volume. I replaced it with the LaMar master which worked WAAY better. Of course the higher you set the master the better, but even set at halfway it takes the hair-scorching volume edge off these beasts.

I have an 18-watt that's just perfect for mid-volume playing. Highly recommended.
smokin' tone

Post by smokin' tone »

CaseyJones wrote: O.k., I'm thinkin' that you should buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own.
Start with one of Allyn's excellent chassis.
Use Moose / Tonselut iron (Heyboer). Allen has extra trannies every so often, even Pacifics.J
+1
Ceriatone Expression Tranny's... What are they?

Ceriatone gets there transformers here.
http://www.promitheusaudio.com/transformers.html

8)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Klaus did you use 300v or 260v that is the reason for the switch as some say the Rocket needs 260v but an AC30 uses 290-0-290 secondary.
klauswilliams

Post by klauswilliams »

M-

Not sure I'm answering your question correctly but I used the layout as seen on Nik's DZ30, which looks the same as the power switch on the RockIt scheme.

I used Heyboers in mine, not the Ceriatone tx's.
klauswilliams

Post by klauswilliams »

Doh

Horrible mis-read on my part. I used 260v
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

:shock: Nobody is a "douche bag" based on what amplifier they own. If that is the case, then everyone of us is a bag. Where are your clothes made, your tires, your car, everything in your home, the components in your amps, the computer that you used to access this forum????? etc. etc. etc.
If douche bags from other countries did not buy our products, we would starve. The USA runs on foreign money.
Ceriatone has very well made transformers. They may or may not be the right choice for each and every amp, but there is nothing wrong with them.
Good Luck
alanp

Post by alanp »

How good are the Ceriatone Express transformers? I mean, are they in a lower order of magnitude to Heyboer or Pacific ones, or reasonably close?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

FYL

Post by FYL »

How good are the Ceriatone Express transformers?
I'd say that the stock Expression is slightly more marshallesque than an Express. Slightly better crunch and rythm drive, slightly less touch sensitivity and harmonic complexity.