60w Rocket Reverb EL34

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: 60w Rocket Reverb EL34

Post by M Fowler »

Bob thanks for the post I will wire it your way. :)

Tom not sure if that was how you intended to wire it too. :)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ok I went out to MC website and found the real schematic for the PT so my questions are ansered about 120v hook up but what about bias wire?

To me the bias tap is red/grn

CT is red/yel

But look at the note, they have in the middle of the page that states Bias:
red/grn-red/yel. :?: :x

So its just referenceing bias to ground? Use the red/grn as bias tap at what voltage, not listed anywhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by M Fowler on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob S

PT Bias

Post by Bob S »

That is confusing. I would use an hv leg & ground to create a bias voltage. Not sure what they are trying to say on the schematic. I would be careful though - bit like wiring 2 halves of the primary out of phase. Loud buzzing sound followed by the sound of dollar bills leaving your wallet. :roll:
Why Aye Man
Structo

Post by Structo »

I don't see a bias tap on that PT.
So you would have to try a high voltage tap to get it, not sure how well that will work.
Like Bob said, may be phasing issues.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Tom did you understand what they are talking about on the schematic regrading bias?

I will just take it off on leg of the secondary as you guys stated, but I may call MC to satisfy my curiousity. :)
Bob S

Bias Supply

Post by Bob S »

Mark - took a second look at the drawing. Looks like the bias tap is there where they state. I'd measure the ac voltage on the wires before hooking it up though. Missed it last night - too much wine - I was celebrating the birth of my second TW clone. A Rocket - everything from glassy sparkle with a tele, to serious attitude dimed with a strat.
Very interested in building a Rocket Reverb now :twisted:
Anyway good luck with the build.
Why Aye Man
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Bob,

It is probably obvious that I like Rockets huh 8)

Glad you got yours fired up and had some fun with it. I have not built the Normster Rocket reverb using EL84s yet and that maybe something I will do in the future. I like the EL84s at 36watt range great for gigging.

I'll call MC and also check the voltages when I get it wired up.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah I missed the note regarding the bias.

What I wonder about is why don't they tell you what that bias voltage will be?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
passfan

Post by passfan »

M Fowler wrote:Ok I went out to MC website and found the real schematic for the PT so my questions are ansered about 120v hook up but what about bias wire?

To me the bias tap is red/grn

CT is red/yel

But look at the note, they have in the middle of the page that states Bias:
red/grn-red/yel. :?: :x

So its just referenceing bias to ground? Use the red/grn as bias tap at what voltage, not listed anywhere.
You are correct in that red/green is your bias tap which would be filtered and loaded down to ground, which in this case is the center tap red/yellow.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks I will give MC hell for putting me through this or should I have known all this :)
passfan

Post by passfan »

M Fowler wrote:Thanks I will give MC hell for putting me through this or should I have known all this :)
Years ago I was running lights and recepts in the gear room and watched a superintendant and a foreman scratch their heads over where to hook up the neutral in a single phase transformer. When asked, I volunteered the correct termination point marked XO , which was the center of the winding (120-XO-120). Overlooking the fact that the windings represent a resistive circuit it appeared to be a "dead short" to both of them and they quickly discounted my information and called the manufacturer :lol: When I heard this I quickly told them not to mention to the manufacturer that I was in the room as well. These guys had over 50 years experience between them but ... "some things just look funny".
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Here is the final product, its alive and loud but will get voltages and burn it in for awhile before further tone testing.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Here is a big lesson this dumb shit learned. Look at the bias board caps.

I put the darn 10uf/160v bias caps negative to ground no wonder she red plated :roll:

Clipped those out and installed new ones no more red plating gee I wonder why. :lol:
rbryerton

Post by rbryerton »

Nice work, Mark! Looks great; I see we both use a lot of the same sources... MC iron, AES boards, etc ;)

Post some clips when you get time.... I want to hear what this bad boy can do...
Rob
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks rbryerton,

Yes MC iron is good to me :)

rjguitar had sent me one of those boards as a gift in one of my orders and I loved it so I ordered more from AES great for projects but people need to remember to get the 1/16 turrets when they order these boards.