Which alnico blue for a Rocket?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

strat_addict

Which alnico blue for a Rocket?

Post by strat_addict »

Which one would be the best? I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on them ($300 or less on a used/new price). Between the Webers, current production Celestion, UK Celestion, or other. Explain why it would be tonally best...
paulster

Re: Which alnico blue for a Rocket?

Post by paulster »

Well, current production Celestion Blues are UK, so there's one less variable to worry about.

The only time you'll get a Chinese made Celestion Blue is if it was factory-fitted in a Vox AC30 CC or the matching extension cabinet but these have Vox labels rather than Celestion anyway. And different cones, but that's another story.

If you want the most original tone then I'd look for an old, well broken in Blue, get a new Celestion and really break it in, or perhaps try a Scumnico which is modelled on the silvers that Vox used before the Blues.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

The best bang-for-the-buck is probably the Red Fang. Are you trying to use just one with a Rocket?
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Fane Alnico Hands down with the Celestion Gold a close second. Haven't tried the Scumnico so I can't comment but that gets good reviews too
paulster

Post by paulster »

I use a pair of golds with mine and I can definitely vouch for them. Really want to try the Fanes sometime too.

Anybody tried a Jensen Blackbird?
strat_addict

Post by strat_addict »

jaysg wrote:The best bang-for-the-buck is probably the Red Fang. Are you trying to use just one with a Rocket?
I'm wanting a 2x12, somewhere between 30-50 watts total depending on what I decide.
CapnCrunch

Post by CapnCrunch »

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a pair of Celestion Blues for $300 or less, even if they're used. You might find a used pair for around$450.

I think you could get the Weber blues used for $300 or less. Some folks don't like them for various reasons (many because of personal issues with the late Ted Weber, and some because they just don't like the product). I have had a pair of the Weber 30 watt alnico blues since the mid 90's. I would never sell them or trade them. I prefer them to the Celestion blues, but I'm almost surely in the minority. They have the same essential chimey character, but their magic is not all bunched up in one spot on the spectrum like the Celestions seem to be. At least to my ear.

I agree with the Alnico gold recommendation. I love mine with my rocket. My cab is a 2x12 with Alnico Gold and g12h30. It is chimey and has a great low end thanks to the g12h.

No one has suggested good old g12m greenbacks. The alnico gold and the greenbacks are my favorite speakers with the Rocket. I switch between cabs depending on the day and my mood. If I had to have just one cab though, I'd choose the 4x12 with greenbacks.............
strat_addict

Post by strat_addict »

CapnCrunch wrote:I think you'll be hard pressed to find a pair of Celestion Blues for $300 or less, even if they're used. You might find a used pair for around$450.

I think you could get the Weber blues used for $300 or less.
Sorry, I should've been more specific. I'm trying to keep it within $300 each.
mclmk8d

Post by mclmk8d »

One of my cabs, a Mojo Bluesbreaker (my favorite) has a Celestion Gold and a Scumbag G12H-75. Amazing tones, use it with Diana.
Where gators roam the backyards; keep your kids and dogs inside!
CapnCrunch

Post by CapnCrunch »

strat_addict wrote:
CapnCrunch wrote:I think you'll be hard pressed to find a pair of Celestion Blues for $300 or less, even if they're used. You might find a used pair for around$450.

I think you could get the Weber blues used for $300 or less.
Sorry, I should've been more specific. I'm trying to keep it within $300 each.
Totally doable for that price.......

Keep in mind that new blues will take probably 200 hours (I'm not exaggerating) of playing time at gigging volume to break in. There is a thread on TAG regarding speaker break in with a variac that cuts break in time down to a small fraction of that. Jim from Scumback speakers kindly posted it. Search speaker break in.

If you are set on an open back 2x12, I would highly recommend combining a blue with a Scumback or a g12h30. It's a great combination and more full range and versatile than two blues. I think Matchless was the first company to routinely use an alnico and ceramic in their 2x12's to give the amp a "broader" voice.

You might want to look up Dartanian here on TAG and PM about what he would charge you for Alnico Fanes. For $300 each, you might be able to get the Fanes. I've heard nothing but good things about those speakers with the Rocket. Someday I'll have the $$ together to try them myself. Good luck in the quest.......
Structo

Post by Structo »

Check out WGS.

A lot of people are using them including amp builders.

They make three different British flavored Alnico's.

http://wgs4.com/catalog/british-invasion
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I tried my blues with the Rocket yeah it sounded good but for me the Celestion Vin 30 or G12H30 is good with this amp.
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

To the OP, strat_addict, email me if you don't mind. I have a proposal for you that might prove interesting.
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/