2xel84 rocket

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: 2xel84 rocket

Post by M Fowler »

I've never tried the Carlsboro limiter pot it was only posted to show that controlling the PI has been done in earlier amps.

The second version is what Colossal and I noted to be used in the Egnator Rebel 20 and we both have tried this version. I did not like it in my Express but still using it in my Reverb Rocket amp. It does change the tone a lot so my answer is most of you would not like it and better off using a PPIMV or VVR.

Mark
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

M Fowler wrote:The second version is what Colossal and I noted to be used in the Egnator Rebel 20 and we both have tried this version. I did not like it in my Express but still using it in my Reverb Rocket amp. It does change the tone a lot so my answer is most of you would not like it and better off using a PPIMV or VVR.

Mark
I didn't like it in the Express either but it works well in Plexi type amps. Gets a little brown and ill-defined at low levels, but the added warmth and compression is nice for true bedroom level jamming.
mark enger

Post by mark enger »

Fired up me 2 hole rocket last night no glitchs, sounds a bit stiff ill need to go over the voltage charts and compare with mine to night all and all a very nice sounding amp, mark
mark enger

Post by mark enger »

heres a pix of my 2 hole rocket, I got to tidy up some loose ends befor i post a gutshot, all voltage are pretty spot on im running 310 one el84 plates, and 9.8 one pin3 cathiode amp seems somewhat stiff but i used a 1000uv for cathiode by psss i need too change to 220uf and hope it loosens amp a bit, the amp is very sensitive i seam to be able to dial in tons of cool tons with amp controls and guitar pick up selector and tone controls :D I used classictone transformer for this build, i do have a hall vvr but have not desided on using it yet mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Mark,

Your two hole Rocket looks great. I like using can caps too.

Mark
mark enger

Post by mark enger »

Thanks mark. I really like it, I am getting some high pitched squeal with treble all the way up, starting about @ 7, and goes away when trebles backed off to 6 or so? not that the amp needs that much treble but it needs to be sorted out. amp turned out pretty sweet and im glad to get a TW build under my belt. mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Swap preamp tubes and see if it still continues.

Check the pot wiring for bad solder joints.
sst4270

Post by sst4270 »

Hello All,

I've been out of the game for a while raising my twins... But am itching to build an 18W Rocket!

I've searched and can't find what I'm looking for...

Could someone direct me to a layout/schematic for the 2XEL84 Rocket with no choke and SS rectifier?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Steve
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

I have a schematic I drew up... I think it's a good schematic although I can't find any build pictures to go with it so that usually means I built the amp then created the schematic after the fact. Consider it as a good starting place but lets have folks take a look at it and see if it holds up as is. Also, it's labeled as rev 0.0 so it's a safe guess that it has not been scrutinized by anyone yet.

These drawings were part of a plan I had to create parts packages for each of the Wrecks in a 16 watt version but the idea never really had the traction required to make it happen for me. As an aside, I did work with Heyboer this last year to have them make up a new 18 watt tranny set that would be a great match to this circuit.

Another thing that has happened since I created this drawing is that I have discovered a Fender tone stack that I like a little better in the standard Rocket and I would definitely recommend it for it to this build as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Just replace the choke with a 1k/5w resistor.
sst4270

Post by sst4270 »

Thanks Mark and RJ. Much appreciated!!!