rocket with tremolo circuit?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

andrew

rocket with tremolo circuit?

Post by andrew »

Is there a thread or does anyone have a simple way to add tremelo to a Rocket build or would a tremolo footpedal sound close to an onboard tube circuit? Also Weber makes a solid state unit that can be grafted into an amp. Any advice?
Jackie Treehorn

Re: rocket with tremolo circuit?

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

Here's my bias wiggle tremolo layout.

[img:1075:1075]http://theinside.net/FLR/TremoloLayout.jpg[/img]

It should fit in the big empty space between the preamp tubes and the back panel and hook up to the unused triode on V2. I stuck the speed and depth knobs on the back panel. The 220k's on the EL84 grids are redundant with the 220k's on the regular Rocket schematic/layout, of course, just added to show where to stick the oscillator output. I used the screen supply for the B+.
Bear

Post by Bear »

:D
Thanks for sharing that -- now I've just gotta give that a go.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Great! Thanks.
angelodp

reverb and tremolo

Post by angelodp »

Is this doable with reverb as well.... both reverb and tremolo in the rocket or will it take one more ( 5 preamp tubes ) 12ax7 to do it.

A
Jackie Treehorn

Re: reverb and tremolo

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

angelodp wrote:Is this doable with reverb as well.... both reverb and tremolo in the rocket or will it take one more ( 5 preamp tubes ) 12ax7 to do it.

A
If you can do the reverb with one tube (two triodes) you can do it all with 4 preamp tubes. You could use a 12DW7 for reverb using the lower mu side as the reverb driver and high mu side for reverb recovery, although if you're using the other side of the PI for mixing the reverb return (which sounds really good), you could probably get away with a lower gain tube for the reverb return, too, like a 12at7 for both. Perhaps the tremolo could work with half of a 12at7, too...many options, so it seems doable to me.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

How about a Rocket 12AX7 preamp in channel one and Stangray EF86 preamp in channel two, Stangray effects loop, Redplate Amps reverb, J.T.'s wiggler tremolo and channel switching.

That sounds like a great plateform to me.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Hi, I finally wired up Jackie's bias wiggle tremelo to my Rocket and it works. However, when engaged there is a constant "low B note hum" that speeds up with the speed control. The hum stays at a fixed volume regardless of the amp volume. Also with the depth control off it goes away. The footswitch jack and depth control ground are on the preamp ground buss. For the .01 cap going to the grid I used a .02. Any help would be appreciated . Thanks.
andrew

Post by andrew »

This was my first time to wire up a footswitch and I found the problem .The FS ground terminal on the jack should not have been grounded. It works great now. Thanks again Jackie.
angelodp

layout or pics

Post by angelodp »

Hi Andrew, any chance you can post a gut shot of the build.
A
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Anybody tried this with a PPIMV? I don't see any real issues, just move the connection from ground to the trem circuit depth pot. I don't like reverb on guitar amps so much but a good sounding tremolo is always rockin!
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
jjman

Post by jjman »

Cliff Schecht wrote:Anybody tried this with a PPIMV? I don't see any real issues, just move the connection from ground to the trem circuit depth pot. I don't like reverb on guitar amps so much but a good sounding tremolo is always rockin!
Don't use the type of MV that drops an added path/pot to ground for the signal. Use a Larmar to avoid the effect's strength being dialed out along with the signal. Crossline would work too I guess.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Yeah I used the style where you rip out the onboard 220k resistors completely and replace it with an equivalent pot/resistor combo. That's the Larmar style right?
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Ange , here tis. The chassis is a Fender type. My supplier only had a 2 meg pot for the Speed so I preceded it with a 1 meg resistor. It is nice sounding with no tick-ticking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

This looks too sweet! I have to try it. What would you change if you were going to use both sides of a 12AX7 tube in parallel. I read that an oscillator tube is susceptible to advanced ageing. Not too worried but I just wouldn't want that to affect the preamp. May be its not even worth worrying about at all...?

Tony