A new Liverpool Annabell

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dreric

A new Liverpool Annabell

Post by dreric »

Here's a Liverpool I've been working on. I got the chassis, boards, faceplate, and transformers from RJ (thank you very much).

I took some departures from the normal cap choices and seeing that I've never really heard a Liverpool I'm really happy with the sound. Very articulate and bell like. A little noisy with single coils but I've yet to check voltages or swap around tubes.

She's a loud little beast, thinking about a VVR or a air brake while I still have hearing. Named after my 15 year year old daughter Anna, who is quite loud and powerful.

I'll post clips once I figure out how to do that, most likely on the update when the cabinet is done.

Thanks to all who participate and contribute to this community, I could not have done this without the group.

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Re: A new Liverpool Annabell

Post by M Fowler »

Nice looking build you have there. :)

Mark
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Eric,

That looks great. You must have had those parts around for a while now. I remember starting that build and finally putting it up for sale when I realized I had little hope of finishing it. Glad you had the time and resolve to get it finished. Nice looking work, thanks for posting this up.

I also finished a Liverpool this weekend, well almost finished. I only heard it for the first time a couple hours ago and I can tell it will require a little bit of taming before it's ready for prime time. I can use any pointers you've got on getting the goods to shine through.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Eric, nice job bet you can’t build just one. One thing you may want to install tube retainers.
Loud wait until you get the100 watt amps fried up.
On the TW amps v-1 counts install the best preamp tube you can find.
On this Rocket build used a telefunken ecc803s on v-1 smooth.
A cheap alternative is made in Japan Raytheon 7025 12ax7. A great preamp tube low noise.
Love the face plate.

Take care, Steve. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

Nice job Eric,
Nothing like firing up a Wreck for the first time! If you want to hear a real Liverpool, listen to some Brad Paisley CD's, especially the album "Play". No mistaking that tone! Good work on the amp...The best thing I did to tune my Wreck was buy a bunch of NOS tubes and started swapping them around. Wound up with a Sylvania 5751 in V1. These things are like tube testers. Have fun! Take care of your ears!
Jim
sst4270

Post by sst4270 »

Good Job Eric.

Post some clips when you get a chance.

-Steve
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Great looking build! When I built my two personal clones of my original (which is named Orphan Annie) I named them "Anna" and "Anna Bell". Mine are all Expresses. Cool coincidence in the name. Happy holidays!

[img:800:533]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/ ... aBell2.jpg[/img]

[img:800:533]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/ ... aBell3.jpg[/img]
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

dreric, looks fantastic. I have a question from a new builder's perspective (aka noob)...the heater wires = white and purple, yes? I see they are twisted quite loosely. Why not twist them more tightly? Is it the gauge of the wire? I keep reading how they have to be twisted quite a bit but yours buck the trend, thanks.
dreric

Post by dreric »

surfsup wrote:dreric, looks fantastic. I have a question from a new builder's perspective (aka noob)...the heater wires = white and purple, yes? I see they are twisted quite loosely. Why not twist them more tightly? Is it the gauge of the wire? I keep reading how they have to be twisted quite a bit but yours buck the trend, thanks.
Hey Surf,

If you look through the trainwreck documents in the files section you'll find schematics and layouts for all three models. It's my understanding that these were developed from inspecting and documenting real wrecks (there aren't that many). All of them are very sensitive amps, tube selection, layout, tidiness all matter a lot. Therefore guys usually follow the layouts and Ken Fishers build style very closely. I think Ken called the heater wiring "lazy loop".

As to the white and purple, that's my own taste coming trough and it's what I had left over from a Dumble build.
dreric

Post by dreric »

I wanted to thank everyone for their compliments. Given the obscureness and eccentricity of this hobby it means a lot to have acknowledgment from the members.

Thanks!!

Eric