Liverpool Output Transformer Selection

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Gibsonman63

Liverpool Output Transformer Selection

Post by Gibsonman63 »

I am getting ready to build a Liverpool. I want this to be more of a Rock and Roll amp, so I am not concerned if it doesn't clean up completely when I roll back the volume on my guitar. I have read some debate here on 6.6K vs 5.2K primary impedance on the output transformers, but I can't say that I am very clear on the matter.

Opinions?
bandade

Re: Liverpool Output Transformer Selection

Post by bandade »

I can't speak for the 6.6k but I have built 2 pools with 5.2K Heyboers from RJ and they are bad to the bone! With humbuckers I break up at around 9 o'clock on the amp volume but can still get some authoritative clean before that point.
JamesHealey

Post by JamesHealey »

Tried both and in Liverpool's I much prefer 6k6 which tends to sound a little more compressed, the clean to mean thing is improved over 5k2.

Get the Edcor from RJ Guitars with both taps, this is one fantastic sounding OT i've got every OT RJ supplies.

The Edcor, Heyboer, Pacific and old Dual Primary Heyboer.

I'm doing a shoot out as soon as I can get my producer friend to free up some of his schedule to record these OTs in an Express build.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

JamesHealey wrote:Tried both and in Liverpool's I much prefer 6k6 which tends to sound a little more compressed, the clean to mean thing is improved over 5k2.
You use an Express OT at 6K6, then?
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

The Pacifics are the bomb! Built like tanks and sound phenomenal.

I've tried various primary impedances, and like 5.2k myself in a Pool. I actually like 4.3k in a pool more than 6.6k. It's a little higher output and feels punchier.

The Heyboer is really nice too, but a little less harmonically rich than the Pacific to my ears. I haven't tried the Edcors, but everyone really likes them. Most of my clients want the Pacifics though, but personally I believe it's a matter of taste and recommend using what you like.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Well, nobody seems to dislike the Pacific transormers (6.6K primaries) and it sounded good in my Express clone, so I went ahead and ordered Pacific. I'll start a new thread and post build photos when my parts arrive and I get going good. I am planning a fairly straight forward build, other than can caps.
solderstain

Post by solderstain »

Gibsonman63 wrote:... I went ahead and ordered Pacific...
If you don't mind me asking, where did you order your Pacific iron?

I used Pacific iron for my Express build, which I got from Allyn, but as far as I've heard, all of Allyn's new Pacific order is spoken for already, and I'm ready to start my own 'pool build. I'm curious about trying Edcor, and I've happily used Heyboer stuff I've purchased from RJ in non-Wreck projects... but I'm so happy with the results I got from the Pacific iron in my Express that I kinda want to 'go with what I know...'
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

http://rjguitars.net/ if Allyn is out.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Mr. Fowler is correct. I went ahead and ordered everything from rj, minus cabinets and tubes. I figured that I would be way ahead in shipping costs and time.
solderstain

Post by solderstain »

I had no idea RJ sold Pacific iron. Such a simple solution. LOL!

Thanks, guys...
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

k...I swapped the 5K2 to 6K6 on my Liverpool. I like it better. I didn't do a test drive before, so I can't say what the differences are, but it's more to my liking. I think someone said 6K6 has less bass, but it seemed to me that the bass control works better...perhaps the overall balance shifted.
Markusv

Post by Markusv »

dartanion wrote:The Pacifics are the bomb! Built like tanks and sound phenomenal.

I've tried various primary impedances, and like 5.2k myself in a Pool. I actually like 4.3k in a pool more than 6.6k. It's a little higher output and feels punchier.

The Heyboer is really nice too, but a little less harmonically rich than the Pacific to my ears. I haven't tried the Edcors, but everyone really likes them. Most of my clients want the Pacifics though, but personally I believe it's a matter of taste and recommend using what you like.
To revive this thread:

I have just put the 6.6 and 5.2K primaries in my Liverpool on a switch
It's a ToneSlut Heyboer output transformer and I like both settings
The 5K2 is livelier and "crisper" . The amp is a bit wilder at 5k2 I think
The 6k6 is mellower but not by a hell of a lot. Perhaps just takes a bit of biting top-end off and breaks up slower in my opinion

Try it.
I used a simple Fender type slide switch at the back

Markus V
.........Now where did I put it?
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Markus,

That slider switch is the same as the Fender bright switch? Is that beefy enough for the application?
Markusv

Post by Markusv »

Correct
Same type

I believe it is beefy enough
Rated at 3A @ 250 VAC and 5A @ 125VAC

I'd like to get others' input on the ratings

Markus
.........Now where did I put it?
solderstain

Post by solderstain »

Markusv wrote:Correct
Same type

I believe it is beefy enough
Rated at 3A @ 250 VAC and 5A @ 125VAC

I'd like to get others' input on the ratings

Markus
You didn't mention it, but I'm guessing that you're using the switch on the OT secondaries, right? That switch rating is MORE than sufficient for use on the secondary side of an OT. Very consistent with the ratings of most of the commonly-used impedance selector switches.