Tubes of choice for a Wreck clone?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gnugear

Tubes of choice for a Wreck clone?

Post by gnugear »

What did Ken have in mind when he voiced the Express?

I can't afford NOS Mullards so I'll probably have to go with new tubes. I was thinking of the GT Mullard clones. I hate them in my Marshalls but maybe they'll sound better in an Express where they can tame some of the high end? I've also read a lot about the new JJ ECC803 which is supposed to be really close to an old Telefunken. Not sure I'd like it in my Marshall but maybe an Express?

What have you guys been using (power tubes too)?
Mark

Re: Tubes of choice for a Wreck clone?

Post by Mark »

Dear Gnugear

This s a good question, to be quite frank I don't really know what is the tone of a Mullard 12AX7, I do have an old one at home, but I suspect it is past it's used by date. I have tried the GT Mullard clones and they sound okay.

The guys at 18watt.com have also tried the GT Mullard clone and swear by the EI 12AX7 elite as sounding closest to a real Mullard.

I did try an EI tube, a GT tube and an NOS RFT from KNA in my Roughneck (Champ clone), and to be frank I liked the RFT the best. It simply sounded "bigger". The EI was quite nice too, it had lots of chime.

Personally, I do think the best thing it to try a different set of pre-amp tubes through the amp and see what you like.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
gnugear

Re: Tubes of choice for a Wreck clone?

Post by gnugear »

Interesting. I haven't heard that about the Ei Elites, but they are one of my favorite tubes. Chime is a good way to describe them ... lots of detail too.