rocket head room

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

brodie900

rocket head room

Post by brodie900 »

Hi all,
im having some real issues with my rocket. It is essentially a ceriatone amp with heyboer trannies and better caps. All the values are the same as the layout on this site. When i first got it, it was quite clean and loud and i could turn it up to about 1 o'clock without much break up. I gigged it for a couple of weeks, ran my pedal board through it and it was fantastic but gradually the head room just seems to have run out! now i cant really use it anymore. its got loads of gain compared to when it was new and break up starts at about 9'30 on the volume. what the hell happened!? please help as i want my old clean rocket back!
xtian

Re: rocket head room

Post by xtian »

Oh! No one ever replied?!?

Did you try a new set of pre amp tubes?
brodie900

Post by brodie900 »

all good mate, i accidentally posted it twice and the other one got all the replies. iv since turned it into a stangray clone anyway
thanks for your concern tho cheers!
rsalinger

Post by rsalinger »

brodie900 wrote:all good mate, i accidentally posted it twice and the other one got all the replies. iv since turned it into a stangray clone anyway
thanks for your concern tho cheers!
How does your Stangray Clone sound?

I built one last year that I was very happy with, at the time. However, it's been very harrowing finding a good ef86... Some of the ones I've bought (that where suppossedly "tested") where microphonic, right out of the box. What are you using?

I've been considering turning it into a Rocket-alike type amp... which is like your situation, in reverse. LOL

Cheers,
Rob
Music is an expression of the inexpressable ~ Vernon Reid, Musician.
brodie900

Post by brodie900 »

im still waiting on some parts to arrive so i dont know how it sounds yet but it'l be going by the end of the week!

as for the the ef86 thing i think iv been very lucky with those so far because iv never really had microphonic problems , i giged with a dc30 clone for nearly two years and never had any trouble with those tubes, even ran a new production tung-sol ef806 for a while and it sounded great. I tried a bunch of nos stuff too like old phillips miniwatt, amperex and even an old british mullard that i found at work but To be honest i dont think iv ever really noticed any difference when i changed them around, to me what ever difference there is between them is lost in a gig situation with a full band going.

I also bought an actual stangray last year and it came standard with a dario miniwatt. everybody says that is the tube you need to have with that amp but they've run out now so eventually ill need to put something els in there and see what happens
brodie900

Post by brodie900 »

just finished the ray clone and it sounds stupidly good!! iv got a nos "mini watt" made in britan in there, seems to stay clean right up untill its way too loud