Impedance Switch

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MGW

Impedance Switch

Post by MGW »

I was looking at the Express BOM and also some different pics of some Wrecks and Komets. I wanted to find a good switch that eliminitated some of my confusion in wiring. I believe I happened across the same switch that the Komet uses. Unless I'm completely off my marbles, I think it's a go. Should take the current (6 amp) and no jumping or doubling to make a cheap switch work. Also, it's about half the price of the BOM spec'd switch. Please let me know if I'm off on this one.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK ... jwMfZJo%3d
It's all about the tone!
Cliff Schecht

Re: Impedance Switch

Post by Cliff Schecht »

It's not the cheapest option but these impedance switches are as tough as nails and you will have NO problems when ordering from RJ (not that I dislike Mouser, they are my favorite big guys): http://www.rjguitars.net/Parts_for_Sale.html
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The kind Cliff showed is the only switches I use or just add the third output jack and call it good.

Mark
MGW

Post by MGW »

That's the same switch I found at Mouser. I'm gonna get my trannies from him. I'll prolly get that there too...RJ is a buck cheaper :) Mouser is about 10 minutes from me. I get a lot from Mouser and have a wholesale account with them so they let me will call. Pass by almost every day. Probably wouldn't be worth it otherwise.
It's all about the tone!
jrittvo

Post by jrittvo »

I'm planning on adding one of these to a Tweed Pro clone. My first "amp mod". I want to install it in the unused ground switch location on the chassis. That puts it half a chassis-length away from the OT and the output jacks so I have to run a few inches of wire back and forth. It'll be a 2, 4 and 8 ohm feed to the switch and then a line to the jacks. How sensitive is the wire placement for these runs? Do I need to stay away from anything in particular?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

You can run those OT secondary wires without worrying about noise.
jrittvo

Post by jrittvo »

Thanks. Glad I'm starting with something that should be easy to get right.
solderstain

Post by solderstain »

Good choice. I buy that switch in quantity and use it in every single build I do that requires a selector switch. I even used one to replace the scary impedance selector on my old metal-panel Super Lead. :lol:

You can also move the stop and make it a two-position switch when required. Very versatile.
greekie

Post by greekie »

Yes, that switch is great quality. I've used it in a 400W valve bass amp (along with hundreds of other guitar amps) for 4 years the guy's been playing it, with no problems at all.

Jake