How about we post some pics and layouts?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Allynmey
Site Admin

How about we post some pics and layouts?

Post by Allynmey »

I noticed that the Twreck forum has slowed down quite a bit with respects to submissions. Tonight I will upload some pics of my current build in progress and maybe some others will too! It is helpful for others to see potential problems before you waste parts and efforts! I would love it if we could breathe a little life into this forum :D

Allynmey

I'd post pics now but my digital camera's batteries are dead (wife)!
Batteries are charging now!
doctord02

Re: How about we post some pics and layouts?

Post by doctord02 »

here's two shots of my moonlight wreck hybrid. It's got an extra stage of filtering before the preamp now that isnt in this photo. It has the preamp of an Express and the phase inverter and power tubes of Shimcha Delft's Moonlight - 6SL7 and 6SN7 for a whopping 1.5 watts.

Cathode biased and no negative feedback... So far, tho I may try both.

It's suprisingly loud...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

That's nice!!! Finally batteries are charged. I'll post some pics of my project in progress. I would appreciate any feedback before I roast a tranny or something.

Anyone else???

Allynmey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Forgot the Preamp and PI circuit! :oops:

Allynmey
Omar

Post by Omar »

Here's to breathing a little life into this forum :roll:
Tone by misadventure
Omar

Post by Omar »

Allynmey -Your boards look great. Nice build quality.

BTW, is that an 18 Marshall in the background? Which kit and which version (TMB or Trem) did you build?

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

Image[/img]
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Omar, that is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that the amp I'll see at ampfest? I better bring a screwdriver! :lol: :shock: :twisted:

Have you done a layout? It seems that you made a single board to get around the space/fitting issue...top notch! HeeBGB and I are both putting together a TWRECK and he actually made the chassis and I had the tagboards made.

Yes! that is my 18 watt Trem Combo and it sounds great! That one wasn't a kit, I sourced all the different parts from different places (a lot of drilling and changes!). If you would like I'll send you some pics. I also have built a TMB Head. The head is whats sitting on top of my two Marshall 1960 A+B cabs with G12-65's (all original) if you look at my avatar to the left.

Since your building the A1a, I'd love to see your layout if you have one drawn up.

Allynmey
Omar

Post by Omar »

Allenmy,
Yes, my amp will be there at the ampfest. Looking forward to your comments both positive and negative. Only a couple of people have played it so I'm looking for feedback. As for the screwdriver - no need for it. There's a bias pot on the back of the amp. I hope that's what you need the screwdriver for! :lol:

I have a very basic layout in Corel Draw 11 for the places where the eyelets go but no components or chassis wiring. I would not recommend my layout anyways as it bearly fits. I rushed through my build and didn't really think everything through so there are some spacing issues and some wiring issues that could have been handled more effciently.

Send me some pics of your 18 watt. I'm trying to decide which kit I should get between the GDS kit and Trinity kit and the trem and TMB. I think the trem would be cool since it's something different, but I'm not sure how much I would actually use the trem feature.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Omar

Post by Omar »

Jackie Treehorn wrote:Image
:shock: Jackie - Wow, looks like you Xeroxed a real Trainwreck! That is awsome!!!

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

All nice work, guys!

Omar, your chassis graphics are cool. How is it made?

I am currently building an 18W Tremolo head. A TWRECK is on my list once I feel confident my building skills are at the right level.
Omar

Post by Omar »

Elcabong wrote:All nice work, guys!

Omar, your chassis graphics are cool. How is it made?

I am currently building an 18W Tremolo head. A TWRECK is on my list once I feel confident my building skills are at the right level.
Thanks Elcabong. Since I have a pathetic sense of humor and I'm not that imaginative, I decided to call my clone the "T-wreck Xpress." I thought it would be fun to have a T-rex dinosaur theme but pay homage to Ken so I gave a friend of mine a picture of a T-rex that I liked and asked him to put a train in its mouth - kind of an odd kind of trainwreck, I suppose :roll: :D

The other graphic is a skeleton of a T-rex and the wording below it says "Inspired by the designs of Ken Fischer". And of course, in keeping with the Trainwreck inspiration, it also says "Amp Name: Lois" - named after my wife.

I did the layout all in Corel Draw. Since the amp is annodized, I took it to a local guy that has a laser etcher and he etched the labels and graphics. One problem is that near the edge of the chassis the lettering is not as sharp. This is probably due to the chassis not being perfectly straight.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

This is a good thread........

Lots of pictures to reference...and inspire. Lots of straight talk about layouts and none of the super secret bull. I hope we can get some more people to post some layout and cabinet pics. :D

Thanks Omar for a great site! I look forward to playing your 'Wreck at ampfest!

Allynmey
Wayne Alexander

Post by Wayne Alexander »

I finally got my Express running today. I had made some mistakes, such as 1 meg resistors instead of 1K on grid 2 of the EL34's, this thing is LOUD. The whole chassis is slightly microphonic, and there is a bit of hum to work on eliminating, but it's alive.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Nice job Wayne!!!! :D

Allynmey

Have a layout? :wink: