Tonetubbys?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

aaronz28

Tonetubbys?

Post by aaronz28 »

Any experience with these tt alnicos and an Express?
In an openback cab?

Thx
What?
My-Co

Re: Tonetubbys?

Post by My-Co »

Yes, But it is really just what sounds good to you.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Tubby's are a great speaker, very well made, and awesome customer service. They standby the product.

As far as tone, as stated above, it's so subjective it's hard to answer.

I can say they don't suck, if that helps.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
racerx23

Post by racerx23 »

hey aaronz28

i have that tone tubby in an open cab which sounds really good but,
i definitely prefer my scumback m75 thru my express instead, it does sound a little better in an overall well rounded sense if you get my drift.
my advice is get the scumback, it's the best match with an express.

regards, craig.
Noel Grassy

Post by Noel Grassy »

+1K ^
RacerX23 nailed it! My research bore similar data using my Express build. The Scumbacks serve the Celestion vibe in Spades whereas the TT Alnico/Hempcones seemed to smear those honey dripping upper-mids in a nasty frequency harshage that's never been flattering to any sort of music.

I can't remember the wattage rating the Tone Tubby speakers have. They are a delight paired with a Blonde Bassman running Tung-Sol 6L6s. Both speaker builders make a damn good product. It came down to personal preference at my labmotorium. :wink:
Good hunting to yez,

Noel Grassy.
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza
My-Co

Post by My-Co »

1. Recorded music is one of the most common methods to induce break-in. A good stereo receiver playing music at moderate volume for several hours or even days is a safe and reliable method. Use good judgment, and don’t overpower the speaker or feed it tons of low-frequency material. If it is distorting, you’re probably damaging the speaker. Get as much cone movement as you can, but you will know when you’re going too far.

2. Physical movement certainly works, if you have the time to sit there and work the cone up and down. I don’t recommend it, though. You could damage the speaker—or reinforce your significant other’s view that you’ve taken this guitar thing way too far!

3. Hanging speakers face down is often suggested as an option. In reality, that promotes suspension sag, which can displace the coil in relation to the top plate. This is not breaking the speaker in, but likely changing the intended tonality of the speaker forever. The stiffness of the suspension components hasn’t changed with this method, right?

4. Variacs are variable AC voltage controls with distortion-free output. This source will get the speaker moving, typically at 60Hz. If you can get your hands on one, it is a great way to break a speaker in.

5. Noise signal generators are my personal preference, accompanied by a multimeter to read the output voltage, and a frequency counter to read frequency. I’ll play a 20Hz–30Hz sine wave through the speaker with 15V–20V for four to eight hours. It’s an effective method, but pretty abusive. You have to use very good judgment in setting it up. I’ve been known to burn up a voice coil by mistake. This is likely not a practical solution for most people, because the equipment is not readily available.

6. Just playing it is a safe and reliable method. Play it hard and play it loud to shorten the time required. Don’t damage your hearing by any means! Fifty to a hundred hours should get you to the point that you no longer recognize tonality changes.

Look for more on this topic in future installments. We’ll take it a step further by breaking in speakers of the same model using various methods. We’ll use some loudspeaker measurement systems to track our progress and resultant speaker changes. Maybe we’ll solve all the mysteries!

I hope this helps from the Book of Tony, Myco and Ken Fischer.

To break the speakers in, a well played tone on a new speaker.
Rock ON
Myco
My-Co

For any speaker, watch the alnico mags,

Post by My-Co »

For any speaker, not just what is listed. Maybe you can use this Arronz28
You have my number if you need anything, I will have proto in later in DEC. I will try with my old Wreck and the New one. Right now both are killer.
Take care
My-co
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

More than the surround breakes in on a speaker.

The cone itself flexes and softens at nodes as it vibrates, similar to Faraday waves

This is partialy why hemp sounds different than plain paper, or a completely rigid cone.

Heres a example at high frequencies.

http://youtu.be/YedgubRZva8

For that reason I use tone sweep to break in a speaker.

John